Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:55 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Anecdotally, I overheard some women at the airport say that their friends from CA (where they are from originally) think they're way too young to marry their BF's (I believe they were 24 and 26), while their new friends in Chicago (where they work) were asking them when they planned to get married (almost as if it was 'time to settle down already.') This happened about 6 months ago. It was quite telling.
Well, that's a bit extreme. I don't know very many professional 24-26 year olds in Chicago that are getting married. Like I said, I'd put the average age of first marriage just a couple of years lower. I'd say most of my professional friends got married in their early thirties, though some did at 28-29 as well.

Anyway, I won't elaborate much on the quality thing, but I can imagine that L.A. would be frustrating. I've met a lot of people from L.A. that are vapid and superficial. It exists here too, don't get me wrong, but I'd say there are more "decent" guys in the midwest. Chicago isn't full of hicks by any means, but people are definitely more down-to-earth than Angelinos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 11:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,936 times
I was living in LA for the past five years and I just moved to Chicago on March 1st. I just turned 30 in March, I'm single, no kids, and professional. In LA, I dated some really, really hot guys, many of them younger. In LA, I felt like I was in the land of the perpetual teenager, and I just started to outgrow that in the past year.

Since my move, my experience (bear in mind, my experience here has been very limited thus far) has been that Chicago men are much more relationship-oriented than their LA counterparts. What I'm finding, however, is that there are far fewer attractive, single men here than there were in LA. Since they're more relationship-oriented, they... you guessed it... get into committed relationships more quickly. So basically, it's six of one, half dozen of the other...

Sounds to me like you want an LA guy with a Chicago mentality... and if I'm right, they're not just oozing out of the floorboards around here anymore than they were in LA. Or maybe they are, and I'm just hanging out in the wrong neighborhoods so far.

Last edited by Heather_v_3; 05-22-2008 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 05-23-2008, 08:35 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Give it a couple years and those relationship-oriented Chicago guys will all be done with their first divorce

Old 05-23-2008, 09:27 AM

569 posts, read 1,820,134 times
A friend of mine moved to LA recently and told me about meetups.com. Basically singles events planned around various venues around the city. Restaurants, bars, etc. I think they are nationwide.

He told me, well in that scene, the average age was 30ish.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:22 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
You may consider eHarmony for dating in the late 20's/early 30's age group. Presumably, its members are more serious about finding someone than those on Match (why else would they pay the higher monthly fees)?

Meetup is supposedly more of a social networking/group activity site than a dating site, but one would imagine that there are people who meet through the site and end up dating later. If you're serious about finding someone, meetup might not be the most effective way to achieve that goal.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:11 PM

181 posts, read 506,048 times
Thanks. Meetup is fun, I've tried it. I've met some great girlfriends. Pretty much every time I go to a meetup in L.A., it's 80% girls to 20% guys, or even less. I still prefer it to online dating though, sometimes it's fine to just hang out with friends. I'm a little turned off by online dating, had scary experiences. EHarmony gives me the creeps, sorry, never tried it. I haven't found a ton of hot guys in L.A., but the ones who are hot, are very hot indeed and boy do they know it! I'm hoping to find "normal" guys in Chicago, fairly nice looking but not the perfect Adonis. More importantly, if they are not carrying around a huge ego and have something interesting going on in their brain, that would be a dream come true. If they are overly into settling down that could be a drag. I'm not looking for marriage & kids. Well, to me Chicago sounds a heck of a lot better anyway. I think I'll be happier there. Anything is better than L.A.!

Old 05-23-2008, 07:14 PM

181 posts, read 506,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Give it a couple years and those relationship-oriented Chicago guys will all be done with their first divorce
So true Been there, done that!

Old 05-24-2008, 04:50 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
LOL...........good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post

Old 08-18-2008, 01:04 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
Is this true about LA? I think I'm going to move there!

Old 08-18-2008, 04:24 PM

42 posts, read 219,189 times
I will also be moving from LA to Chicago in the next 6 months and I had an older lady who lived in Chicago most of her life tell me she woudn't be surprised if I was married in a year. I am also a 34 year old woman. I know they guys in LA and while there may be more in LA, the quality of men is very poor. You have to consider all the variables - people get married, but they also get divorced. You can send me a message if you want to discuss in more detail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago