Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 09:06 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,250,689 times

Advertisements

frostopsy, I need to get down there to help fight this fight. Don Juan has always been one of my go to places when I visit. The son always remembers me being a Milwaukee guy. They are great people. I love my Edison Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 09:30 PM

7,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
My sister lives in a Chicago suburb and I used to live in Wisconsin. Such a shame and I hope it stops.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:41 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,067,215 times
My suburb borders Chicago, and the mayor's team has set up dump trucks to block traffic lanes leading into the suburb during curfew hours. It hasn't stopped the lunatics from breaking into stores on the street bordering Chicago, but it's kept most of it from traveling westward into the suburb. They've extended our curfew through Thursday evening. I have listened to the police scanner, and the cops were crazy busy on Sunday evening, but less so yesterday. We'll see how tonight goes. The looters are like cockroaches, the only thing that keeps cockroaches from coming out where you can see them is that they don't want to get stomped on, so they normally come out when it's dark - turn the lights on, and they scatter. Same thing with these "protesters", and where Lighthead (I actually like "Lightweight" better, thanks for that) is wrong, is to show the bottom 1% (3%? 5%?) there is no consequence to their bad behavior. Too bad the store owners don't at least sit on their roofs with pellet guns, and shoot the windows out of any car that comes in to loot - while the bad guy is inside stealing two hundred bucks worth of stuff, their car would be sustaining five hundred bucks in damage, I sure would like to see a video of that.

Old 06-02-2020, 10:11 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
Just how bad was downtown? I have not seen it but people who live there told me it was real bad.
I think State Street and Michigan Av, was hit the most (Obv. where most of the shops/stores are). A police car was set on fire, tons of bank/hotel/restaurants windows smashed in, yeah I believe it was pretty bad. Bad enough they decided to lift the bridges for almost a whole week and basically put it under total lockdown. Word on the street is they lower the bridges and reopen the Loop tomorrow, which will be interesting for sure.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:38 AM

Teacher Terry, good morning. To my knowledge, NO ONE has disputed that the unfortunate death of Mr. Floyd or ANYONE that took place at the hands of police is unacceptable.

At the same time, NONE of this looting, arson, or fighting is acceptable, neither.

Causing damage to other innocents is NOT the way to say: Hurting innocent people is wrong!

In psychological terms, I would say that we are seeing the cycle of violence continue; not the move to END violence....

Old 06-03-2020, 05:41 AM

Curly Q. Bobalink, stay safe!

As I have said, I think it is great when you see the community come together to clean their community.

But WHY are THEY having to take their time to clean up after others that have destroyed these areas? It is not THEIR responsibility.

No one looting is learning responsibility if others clean up after them. It is akin to the bratty child you see in the store that makes a mess and pushes things off the shelf, and the parent cleans up the mess. WHO is teaching ownership?

Old 06-03-2020, 05:43 AM

CCrest182, good morning. If my understanding is correct, this unfortunate tragedy hit Wicker Park (not my usual hang out grounds, but I have driven or biked through and it seems like a very nice community). It also has gone north to Evanston. But most of the northern section of Chicago has not been affected. Thank God. I am wishing you all well. COVID + Looting! STAY SAFE AND HEALTHY, MY FRIENDS!

Old 06-03-2020, 07:27 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,178,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I think State Street and Michigan Av, was hit the most (Obv. where most of the shops/stores are). A police car was set on fire, tons of bank/hotel/restaurants windows smashed in, yeah I believe it was pretty bad. Bad enough they decided to lift the bridges for almost a whole week and basically put it under total lockdown. Word on the street is they lower the bridges and reopen the Loop tomorrow, which will be interesting for sure.
And businesses said they are afraid to open up . Cannot blame them since nobody protects them. Especially not the ummm well I have a new name for the mayor but it would get me banned so nevermind.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:32 AM

636 posts, read 611,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Teacher Terry, good morning. To my knowledge, NO ONE has disputed that the unfortunate death of Mr. Floyd or ANYONE that took place at the hands of police is unacceptable.

At the same time, NONE of this looting, arson, or fighting is acceptable, neither.

Causing damage to other innocents is NOT the way to say: Hurting innocent people is wrong!

In psychological terms, I would say that we are seeing the cycle of violence continue; not the move to END violence....
Agreed. Even conservative media is condemning what happened to Mr. Floyd.

A lot of folks love partially quoting Dr. King regarding riots but fail to provide the full context in which he says it will only entrench our opponents and, in their minds, validate their hatred.

I also find it funny when I hear the platitude that "we've tried peaceful protesting and that doesn't work so we riot." Apparently we've forgotten the race riots of the 60s which ultimately accomplished nothing (or else we wouldn't be in this current predicament) aside from causing irreparable damage to our communities. Newark never recovered. The West Side of Chicago never recovered. If Watts and South Central recovered it could only be attributed to demographic turnover from black folks to Mexicanos/chicanos/centros. DC recovered but only after nearly four decades and hypergentrification.

Another one I love hearing is "these businesses that got wrecked will be ok, insurance got em." Because anyone who has ever filed an insurance claim for anything knows how easy (hard) it is to get those legal Ponzi schemers to pay out anything, let alone the full value of what was lost. And to simplify it as a matter of money vs. lives...as if taking away peoples' livelihoods, i.e. how people put food on the table, is something so nonchalantly swept aside. It's just crazy.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:43 AM

VA All Day, the fact that anyone would loot a store and feel justified that insurance will pay for it is like, again to use psychological terms, the abuser who justifies why he is beating his wife... One can not do wrong and feel justified by it.

P.S. HOW did stealing a TV further one's situations?

WHY ARE NO BOOKS AND EDUCATIONAL TOYS FOR KIDS BEING STOLEN??? I never hear someone saying they needed to steal something to help them and their children become educated so they could rise up out of poverty. So WHO is to blame here????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago