Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 10:22 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I think it will do more harm than good. The Latin Kings are a street gang, and one that has proven to be brutal. They won't make a distinction between friend or enemy. And this is going to be bad for those who just want to live their lives. Residents living in Cicero are already being harassed because of their race by said gang members. It's slowly devolving into a race war.
What the media is steadfastly avoiding discussing is that the problems in urban disadvantaged African-American communities are not solely due to racism. If another group of disadvantaged minorities who are also supposedly oppressed by whites has inherent hostility towards African-Americans - and were even willing to work with the supposedly racist cops who are keeping them down too in opposition - that's a major problem to their narrative. It might indicate that there are systemic social problems and crime in African-American communities which are causing other disadvantaged minorities to view them negatively as a group. That's why the Latin Kings' story got buried so quickly and they are trying to shift focus to Bridgeport instead.

The longstanding narrative has always been that the social ills in Chicago's African-American communities are due to police violence, white conservative racism (even though there haven't been white conservatives around here in any significant number going on four decades now), disinvestment, and realtor redlining. But that's not being honest. The problem is much more complex than this.

The mainstream media does not want your mind to go there, even though we're going to have to go there in order to fix it. Instead, they'd like you to blame the usual whipping boys. And sure enough, looking at MSN's newsfeed, there are literally NO stories positive about the police. All of them are about isolated incidents of police violence, even though massive and heartbreaking damage was done to businesses (many of them small and/or who were providing needed goods and services to disadvantaged communities) by out of control thugs.

So if we want to stop the devolution into a race war, people are going to have to stop listening to the media and Democrat politicians and figure out how to fix it on their own. If they don't, then yes, that's probably where things are going to end up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 10:23 AM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
green_mariner, since I was a little kid I remember my dad taking me to Chinatown. I remember walking along Michigan Avenue. I remember going to Maxwell Street in the 1970s/1980s. So I was always around different types of Chicago neighborhoods and residents.

My great-grandmother from Mexico taught me Spanish. And I am also Croatian.

So I do NOT look at people based on "looks." SOME people will call me insensitive to diversity because of this.

I do NOT need to defend myself. I celebrate the beauty in ALL humanity. ANYONE who acts respectful will be shown my respect.

I applaud when I see peoples of all looks standing up for equality. I do NOT like when I see people of all looks taking advantage of a situation and breaking into stores.
I think similarly. I've been through alot of bad stuff. I can still see the beauty in people regardless of ethnicity/race. I lived in different parts of the USA. The western USA and the south. I've been around diverse crowds. I've been the among the few Black persons in an otherwise 95% White area. In college I would hang out with international students.

All the more reason I don't want to see things devolve into a race war. People using the situation as an opportunity to cause more racial tensions and violence. We have people of different races/ethnicities uniting under a just cause. This is all the more reason to try and keep racial tensions/violence from going up.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:44 AM

4,645 posts, read 3,254,543 times
green_mariner, In many cases the more exposure to "diversity" the higher your comfort level is. Then, you feel more secure, and so then you have less fear or hatred.

No life lesson is written in stone.

To use yourself and myself, it seems the exposure to diversity DID turn out to be an asset for us.

And like you, I do not want to see a race war or ANY war in our country.

If it came down to it, and warring was inevitable, I am definitely ready to go that route if my abilities to reason and communicate with others falls on deaf ears.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:17 PM

41 posts, read 27,860 times
I can't help but think that a certain person ("bru7") has a big chjp on his shoulder, and some type of animosity against "Morenos" (I won't use the slur "Mayate" like those thugs in the video).
Maybe, said person should have limited to "looters" who happen to be Black.

Of course, Thugs are going to set their beef wether it's "peace time " or "riot time".
Gangs are opportunists, they prey on the weaks. They tried in Little Village, they failed. That's it
There's a racial element to it, sure ! But It would have been great if it was the police that stopped the lootings !

Black gangsters were looting Black Owned stores too. Police ought to protect & serve anybody in need

If you think Kings are up to something good, it's not all that rose ! Things are sometimes iffy between P.R & Mexicans.
I agree that LKs appear to be in the camp of the well behaved, but only because their interest are in line.

There's not one ill, that is thought inherent to the Black community, You can't find in any other community.
If People tries to "racialize" this, then more problems are to be expected.
Police have to do its duty, following the rules !
Politicians have to bring people together, not "the divide & conquer" ish.
People have to come together to overcome this tragedy, more than 60 shot in a week-end pfff ...
Note : I'm an outta state lad, just be civil or put me on your ignore list.
Still Rep Dat RedBlack&Green

Old 06-05-2020, 12:33 PM

I have an issue with looters. I have no issue with anybody who protected the neighborhood or those who peacefully protested. My issue is with the City's general response and the way the media is covering it to fit their agenda.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:41 PM

4,645 posts, read 3,254,543 times
BRU67, I reread your posts. Nothing struck me as a chip on the shoulder....and now reading this latest post from you, I have to concur with you.
alsheikh971 did make points that are truthful as well, such as animosity that can be found amongst different Latino groups.
I believe we ALL agree that we want equality and peace!

Old 06-05-2020, 01:06 PM

5,071 posts, read 2,179,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I have an issue with looters. I have no issue with anybody who protected the neighborhood or those who peacefully protested. My issue is with the City's general response and the way the media is covering it to fit their agenda.
Agree 100 percent with all of that! And judging by all the talk I see and hear in other places MANY agree with all of those points right now.

Also its funny seeing all of the people saying how much they regret voting for lori. One even said he must have been drunk out of his head that day lol

Old 06-05-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
Agree 100 percent with all of that! And judging by all the talk I see and hear in other places MANY agree with all of those points right now.

Also its funny seeing all of the people saying how much they regret voting for lori. One even said he must have been drunk out of his head that day lol
It's frightening to see the Democratic Party, the party of FDR, JFK and Richard J. Daley, failing to protect the once-proud cities they are in charge of and then throwing their police officers and residents who stepped up under the bus. What a change from even 10 years ago, though you could see this coming for much longer than that. I really hope this makes people in "blue" areas wake up. These folks are not on your side and you do not have to vote for them.

Old 06-05-2020, 02:21 PM

5,071 posts, read 2,179,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
It's frightening to see the Democratic Party, the party of FDR, JFK and Richard J. Daley, failing to protect the once-proud cities they are in charge of and then throwing their police officers and residents who stepped up under the bus. What a change from even 10 years ago, though you could see this coming for much longer than that. I really hope this makes people in "blue" areas wake up. These folks are not on your side and you do not have to vote for them.
It would be nice if people fianlly woke up. But I am not counting on it

Old 06-05-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
It would be nice if people fianlly woke up. But I am not counting on it
Well, one could start with the Cook County State's Attorney race this November by voting for Pat O'Brien instead of Kim Foxx. I try not to get directly political on here but she has absolutely no business serving in that office.

Unfortunately, she was able to get past the primary because there were too many candidates diluting the opposition vote. But there will be no excuse for that in the general election. Get out and vote!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago