Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 01:15 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,254,543 times

Advertisements

BRU67, I am indeed a Pilsen fan. I am not an artsy fan. But I think most anyone can appreciate the great restaurants in Pilsen, if you love Mexican food. They also host some great street festivals. And it's close to one of my favorite neighborhoods', Heart of Chicago, Restaurant Row for when you need great Italian food!

P.S. so then WHERE is the martial artist neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 03:04 PM

410 posts, read 634,133 times
Pilsen is probably the neighborhood that most fits your description. There are murals and street art all over the place, quirky storefronts and restaurants and art galleries peppered in with Latinx businesses that reflect the art/Hispanic mix of the community.

Bridgeport has an enormous art scene as well. There is a massive art center(The Bridgeport Art Center) and a bevy of other studio/gallery space.

Not long ago, Logan Square and Wicker Park were the artist meccas. Now, while they retain that feel, the neighborhoods have largely gentrified. They've basically become the place to be for a young professional who wants to feel artsy or "hipster"

Old 06-15-2020, 03:14 PM

410 posts, read 634,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Logan Square, Pilsen, Bridgeport are probably the standouts, but yeah you can likely find artists all over the city.

I would mention Wicker Park too, but that area has been becoming more upscale every year for the past decade, which typically forces some of the artist types into newer "gentrifying" areas (they've been moving to Logan Square, east Humboldt Park, and Pilsen/East Garfield Park lately).
Spot on. Wicker Park has long been gentrified and I'd even say Logan Square has reached that point too. Not to say they aren't awesome, hip, and beautiful neighborhoods(they're my two favorites) but the artist community has certainly moved on and been replaced by a young professional vibe.

Pilsen is resisting gentrification as much as possible but it is certainly a prime target. I currently live in the neighborhood and it still retains its artist/Latinx identity but the encroachment of gentrification is palpable

Bridgeport, with its somewhat lame housing stock, and being sandwiched between freeways, an industrial canal, and railyards, will probably stay an artist mecca for some time. If anything, it would lose ground to a growing Chinese community rather than gentrification. But an immigrant community should keep costs low, so the art crowd will thrive.

East Garfield Park was the dark horse I forgot to mention. Cheap, lots of space, decent housing stock. I've actually had friends who previously lived in a large, dilapidated, space in Wicker Park. They were using it to host underground concerts/parties, art displays, as well as a base for their fledgling street fashion brand and photography endeavors. They were eventually kicked out and the space became luxury housing. Where did they end up relocating? Good ol' EGP. I suspect that area could be an artist mecca in maybe 20 years.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:04 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
Spot on. Wicker Park has long been gentrified and I'd even say Logan Square has reached that point too. Not to say they aren't awesome, hip, and beautiful neighborhoods(they're my two favorites) but the artist community has certainly moved on and been replaced by a young professional vibe.

Pilsen is resisting gentrification as much as possible but it is certainly a prime target. I currently live in the neighborhood and it still retains its artist/Latinx identity but the encroachment of gentrification is palpable

Bridgeport, with its somewhat lame housing stock, and being sandwiched between freeways, an industrial canal, and railyards, will probably stay an artist mecca for some time. If anything, it would lose ground to a growing Chinese community rather than gentrification. But an immigrant community should keep costs low, so the art crowd will thrive.

East Garfield Park was the dark horse I forgot to mention. Cheap, lots of space, decent housing stock. I've actually had friends who previously lived in a large, dilapidated, space in Wicker Park. They were using it to host underground concerts/parties, art displays, as well as a base for their fledgling street fashion brand and photography endeavors. They were eventually kicked out and the space became luxury housing. Where did they end up relocating? Good ol' EGP. I suspect that area could be an artist mecca in maybe 20 years.
East Garfield Park is about 92% African American so it would be so awesome to see white progresive kids move there, and stay there. It would be a first in our City's history to my knowledge, though the concept of gentrification is really only about 40-45 years old in Chicago. I really hope you're right!

Old 06-15-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
BRU67, I am indeed a Pilsen fan. I am not an artsy fan. But I think most anyone can appreciate the great restaurants in Pilsen, if you love Mexican food. They also host some great street festivals. And it's close to one of my favorite neighborhoods', Heart of Chicago, Restaurant Row for when you need great Italian food!

P.S. so then WHERE is the martial artist neighborhood?
Not sure Master Jay, but if you want to try the new Orangetheory Fitness, you could try River North or Old Town

Old 06-15-2020, 08:42 PM

BRU67, maybe I should try Chinatown or the remnants of Koreatown. I'm a fan of both parts of town

I WAS going to do a Tae Kwon Do demonstration for the 2nd year at Skokies Festival of Cultures in Mat. Unfortunately it was canceled!

Old 06-16-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
BRU67, maybe I should try Chinatown or the remnants of Koreatown. I'm a fan of both parts of town

I WAS going to do a Tae Kwon Do demonstration for the 2nd year at Skokies Festival of Cultures in Mat. Unfortunately it was canceled!
I've seen karate studios all over the City but they tend to be located in the more working class neighborhoods, or near suburbs. Karate isn't a hip-wow-and-now fitness trend so you don't tend to see studios in the gentrified 'hoods. There, you're more likely to find Orangetheory fitness, the latest form of yoga, and Cross-Fit (though I've read this is now on the outs due to racism).

Old 06-16-2020, 10:41 AM

BRU67, I know Gen-Ki Karate in Jefferson Park. They always put on a demo at Taste of Polonia. And I am familiar with the studio on Western Avenue in Lincoln Square. And of course, an associate teaches at the Skokie Park on Oakton.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:42 AM

Orangetheory Fitness. Don't they have one in my Lincoln Square area?? Racist, huh? I better check that out. Thank you for the tip!

Old 06-16-2020, 12:29 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Check the Oak Park Arts district. And, yes, I know its outside of Chicago but it is close!

https://oakparkartsdistrict.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago