Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2020, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 4,766 times

Advertisements

I’m always interested in perspectives of where neighborhoods begin and end. Looking at google maps, River North is widely considered to have a northern boundary at Chicago, while Old Town doesn’t begin until you reach Division. What neighborhood would you consider the area north of Chicago Ave, west of Clark (and therefore not Gold Coast) and south of Division? Generic “Near North Side”? The condos and apartments in this slice of the city seem to have disparate marketing, with some along Larrabee north of Chicago Ave still claiming to be in River North and others being nonspecific other than claiming the Near North Side community area.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 03:36 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,548,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeel2Denver View Post
I’m always interested in perspectives of where neighborhoods begin and end. Looking at google maps, River North is widely considered to have a northern boundary at Chicago, while Old Town doesn’t begin until you reach Division. What neighborhood would you consider the area north of Chicago Ave, west of Clark (and therefore not Gold Coast) and south of Division? Generic “Near North Side”? The condos and apartments in this slice of the city seem to have disparate marketing, with some along Larrabee north of Chicago Ave still claiming to be in River North and others being nonspecific other than claiming the Near North Side community area.
The original boundaries of neighborhoods like River North and Old Town have grown as those with real estate interests have tried to capitalize on the cachet that those neighborhoods have. This is especially true of River North. River North absolutely does not extend north of Chicago Avenue into neighborhoods like Goose Island and Cabrini like many claim. Likewise, Old Town does not extend farther south or west.

Old 06-17-2020, 03:53 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
It's an interesting question, and you'll get different answers from different people. I don't have a good answer. You are correct, that technically north of Chicago Ave, south of Division, and west of Clark falls into a gray area of "Near North Side" with no official neighborhood/sub neighborhood.

Although for practical purposes, most people I know, consider it the "Gold Coast." River North has a pretty established ending boundary at Chicago Ave. Although there are some parts further west that are south of Division and considered Old Town by many. For example, Seward Park and that general vicinity (less than a block from Division), is considered Old Town by many even though it is technically south of Division.

But in general, most people I know consider most of "Near North Side" that is north of Chicago Ave, south of Division, and west of Clark to be the Gold Coast, even if it isn't technically.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:37 AM

629 posts, read 543,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeel2Denver View Post
its Cabrini Green

anyone that says otherwise is wrong

Old 06-18-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
its Cabrini Green

anyone that says otherwise is wrong
So the area of LaSalle and Oak st (i.e. where Moody Bible College is) or Wells and Oak st is Cabrini Green? That is WRONG.

Re-read the original post. The OP asked about the entire region north of Chicago Ave, south of Division, and west of Clark. As the OP indicated, this area is considered "Near North Side." Some of that area, I think could be considered Cabrini Green, but certainly not all of it (so anyone who says otherwise wouldn't be wrong). In my experience, most people consider most of this area the Gold Coast and some of it Old Town. I can also see some of it being Cabrini Green (although I didn't know that was still an official neighborhood/designation)

Here is what google maps outlines as Cabrini Green, which looks pretty accurate. And it only includes a portion of the "Near North Area" (north of Chicago Ave, south of Division, and west of Clark).

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ca...!4d-87.6414636

Old 06-19-2020, 10:26 AM

884 posts, read 623,973 times
I have an aunt who grew up in that area. She is in her 90s. Her family lived near the intersection of Oak St. and Sedgwick. My aunt always stated that she lived in 'The Near North Side.'

The Cabrini Homes opened in 1942. These are the low rise buildings located along Chicago Ave. to the east of Larrabee. Prior to the construction of the Cabrini Homes, this section of the Near North Side had 2 informal nicknames. It was referred to as 'Little Hell,' due to the presence of a gas works complex in the area. It was also known as 'Little Sicily', because of the large number of Italian immigrants who settled in the area. The vast majority of these immigrants were from Sicily.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:48 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,250,689 times
Nearwest, I read online this week that there was ONE house still standing on Larabee from the OLD days. And I totally forgot to drive by to see if it is still standing! THAT would have been a cool picture. I believe it was a 3 level home. I will have to look for that, next time.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:24 PM

101 posts, read 210,671 times
Thank you for posting this ... it drives me CRAZY that there is a huge chunk that isn't in a neighborhood, haha, like come on! I am working on my own map for fun, and I have broken that area up into two "neighborhoods." Firstly, let's just assume these are the surrounding boundaries of adjacent neighborhoods:

River North: South of Chicago and west of Michigan
Gold Coast: North of Chicago and east of Clark
Old Town: North of Division
Cabrini-Green: North of Chicago, south of Division and west of Orleans

So, that leaves an empty square from Chicago on the south, Orleans on the west, Division on the north and Clark on the east. I honestly wonder if the southern half of that square (between Chicago and Oak) should really just be referred to as something like "Moody Bible Campus." That area really is in no man's land. As for the northern half, there are now THREE matching apartment buildings billing themselves as "Old Town Park," so I wonder if that will ever forge a neighborhood identity? This would cover the portion of that square from Oak on the south to Division on the north.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Illini_26 View Post
Thank you for posting this ... it drives me CRAZY that there is a huge chunk that isn't in a neighborhood, haha, like come on! I am working on my own map for fun, and I have broken that area up into two "neighborhoods." Firstly, let's just assume these are the surrounding boundaries of adjacent neighborhoods:

River North: South of Chicago and west of Michigan
Gold Coast: North of Chicago and east of Clark
Old Town: North of Division
Cabrini-Green: North of Chicago, south of Division and west of Orleans

So, that leaves an empty square from Chicago on the south, Orleans on the west, Division on the north and Clark on the east. I honestly wonder if the southern half of that square (between Chicago and Oak) should really just be referred to as something like "Moody Bible Campus." That area really is in no man's land. As for the northern half, there are now THREE matching apartment buildings billing themselves as "Old Town Park," so I wonder if that will ever forge a neighborhood identity? This would cover the portion of that square from Oak on the south to Division on the north.
Yes, this is the area of "Near North Side" that is really doesn't have an official neighborhood! Although in my experience, many people consider much of this area, including the "Moody area," the Gold Coast. The part of this area just south of Division and directly bordering Orleans, tend to be considered "Old Town" (i.e. the area in between Oak st on the south, Division on the north, and Wells and Orleans on the east and west).

Old 07-13-2020, 10:35 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
That used to be where the Cabrini Green Housing Projects stood. so I say it is Cabrini neighborhood. Especially if rents are very low. If that area gets built up (gentrified) it will probably be called part of the Gold Coast. I suppose no matter what the name, if you live there, and you want to sound richer, you will probably say its part of the Gold Coast or River North.

I just randomly call it "the Northside".. some folks would generically call it "downtown" like if they live kinda far from there, maybe the suburbs, because to them, its downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago