Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 02:32 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,408,468 times

Advertisements

Good god, do not get a cat please, thank you.

You want a cat because your therapist said to? A cat and any pet, is not some therapy toy for you, to toss when done, which is will what happen. A cat and pets are the pet's life long commitment to them, so for a cat, looking at 13+ years easily, with potential expenses through for medical issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 02:41 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,822 times
Honor your original agreement.

Old 06-23-2020, 02:42 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Good god, do not get a cat please, thank you.

You want a cat because your therapist said to? A cat and any pet, is not some therapy toy for you, to toss when done, which is will what happen. A cat and pets are the pet's life long commitment to them, so for a cat, looking at 13+ years easily, with potential expenses through for medical issues.

Thank you. ITA.

Old 06-23-2020, 04:44 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,176,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I'm just a regular guy with a regular job who happens to own two homes. I rent out the other in order to help pay the bills on the property. I saw a paper loss of around $800 last year on it. Obviously I am earning equity in the property which is what keeps me in the business. Soon it will turn positive in cash flow but that will be another year or more.

I'm certainly not powerful, rather powerless. I am not special, but neither are renters. The only power I have is to have control over what goes on inside the properties I own, within legal bounds obviously.

I don't know why that's a hard concept to grasp. If I say no cats, then no cats, period. I don't need excuses and I certainly shouldn't have to justify that to my renter. If the OP really needs a therapy cat that bad they can move forward with getting the ESA to certify one. Even then, I think it's a ****ty situation for any renter to do that to their landlord because at the end of the day it's their property and they should have control over what goes on with it.

You act like us landlords are rich, out of touch, and heartless. None of that is true. We are people just the same as you and our financial situations aren't always hunky dory. I know many landlords struggling to afford mortgages because of the eviction ban. Many are paying two or more mortgages out of pocket. That's not possible to sustain for MANY!
Then this lady is evil and selfish as i have said many times now. Its nothing to her if this guy gets a cat he needs. Why must I repeat it so often. Not hard to understand

Last edited by Robert9; 06-23-2020 at 05:08 PM..

Old 06-23-2020, 08:19 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
Then this lady is evil and selfish as i have said many times now. Its nothing to her if this guy gets a cat he needs. Why must I repeat it so often. Not hard to understand
Robert, the OP AGREED to not have a cat as a condition of his or her lease, and made this agreement prior to renting. It is the OP that wants to change the agreement after the fact, not the landlord. The OP's therapist may have suggested that they "get a cat", probably because the OP told the therapist they were lonely, and liked cats. But that's a long way from needing an "emotional support animal". Why would you side with the person who wants to break an agreement vs. someone who is merely sticking to what was agreed upon, regardless of the basis of the agreement? Don't people honor their commitments anymore? And if the OP is so tight on funds that moving is prohibitive, the LAST thing they need to do is take on responsibility for a pet, vet bills are friggin' expensive - my guess is that I spend at least two grand a year each for my two 70 lb. dogs, between food, toys, treats, vet bills, boarding, heartworm and flea preventative, etc.. Repeating over and over that pocket lint is the same thing as cotton candy doesn't make it taste any sweeter.

Simply put, if the OP really wants a cat, then they should do the right thing - move to a unit where cats are allowed, and as has been stated above, make absolutely sure they are in it for the long haul, cats can be a 17 year commitment Adopting an older cat would probably be the best thing to do, instead of a kitten, BTW. Until then, the OP can volunteer in a shelter, most are in need of folks to socialize and take care of the animals in their care, or work as a pet-sitter for folks (in their home) while they go on vacation, or even go to school to become a Veterinary Technician, and then they'll have all the animal contact they can handle, LOL.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Robert, the OP AGREED to not have a cat as a condition of his or her lease, and made this agreement prior to renting. It is the OP that wants to change the agreement after the fact, not the landlord. The OP's therapist may have suggested that they "get a cat", probably because the OP told the therapist they were lonely, and liked cats. But that's a long way from needing an "emotional support animal". Why would you side with the person who wants to break an agreement vs. someone who is merely sticking to what was agreed upon, regardless of the basis of the agreement? Don't people honor their commitments anymore? And if the OP is so tight on funds that moving is prohibitive, the LAST thing they need to do is take on responsibility for a pet, vet bills are friggin' expensive - my guess is that I spend at least two grand a year each for my two 70 lb. dogs, between food, toys, treats, vet bills, boarding, heartworm and flea preventative, etc.. Repeating over and over that pocket lint is the same thing as cotton candy doesn't make it taste any sweeter.

Simply put, if the OP really wants a cat, then they should do the right thing - move to a unit where cats are allowed, and as has been stated above, make absolutely sure they are in it for the long haul, cats can be a 17 year commitment Adopting an older cat would probably be the best thing to do, instead of a kitten, BTW. Until then, the OP can volunteer in a shelter, most are in need of folks to socialize and take care of the animals in their care, or work as a pet-sitter for folks (in their home) while they go on vacation, or even go to school to become a Veterinary Technician, and then they'll have all the animal contact they can handle, LOL.
Hopefully he will be able to do something like that then. It would be great if he could

Old 06-23-2020, 08:56 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,581,430 times
I dont know what i'd do if i were a landlord, and my building which i own, now the renter has more rights than me. especially on important issues like having a pet or not.

For example, if i the landlord am allergic to a cat, and i will now suffer whenever i enter the apartment for whatever reason - could be i need to fix the sink, or check something legitimate.

Then if i dont want my renters to have pets because some of them do not take care of them and they let the cat do damage that cats just do sometimes naturally (like their need to scratch, and they pee on the floor for various reasons (((of which i blame the owner)). so now my building is suffering because the person brings in a pet.

Even if they get that paper that allows them to have an emotional therapy pet, i still have to face the reality that the cat might pee on the floor, scratch up the wall/door, bring allergies to me so i am now sneezing with horrible red itchy eyes (i have a cat allergy and its painfully itchy).

Does not seem fair to the landlord.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I dont know what i'd do if i were a landlord, and my building which i own, now the renter has more rights than me. especially on important issues like having a pet or not.

For example, if i the landlord am allergic to a cat, and i will now suffer whenever i enter the apartment for whatever reason - could be i need to fix the sink, or check something legitimate.

Then if i dont want my renters to have pets because some of them do not take care of them and they let the cat do damage that cats just do sometimes naturally (like their need to scratch, and they pee on the floor for various reasons (((of which i blame the owner)). so now my building is suffering because the person brings in a pet.

Even if they get that paper that allows them to have an emotional therapy pet, i still have to face the reality that the cat might pee on the floor, scratch up the wall/door, bring allergies to me so i am now sneezing with horrible red itchy eyes (i have a cat allergy and its painfully itchy).

Does not seem fair to the landlord.
If you are going to worry about a cat then omg the worrying over a human animal would be 100 times worse!

Old 06-23-2020, 09:38 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,581,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
If you are going to worry about a cat then omg the worrying over a human animal would be 100 times worse!
Actually, if i were the landlord, i'd be concerned about my investment in my property, and now, the renter has more rights than me.

I know why landlords say NO PETS. because even if the pet owner swears up and down on their mothers eyes and says their cat NEVER does damage,, beleive me,, they will.. either by a surprise, accident, or something.

and yes, if you mean i'd have hard time living with another human being, you are right.. but i've had people living with me and i really dont want to have to put up with them and their humanity lol... yep.

I cant take it!

Old 06-23-2020, 09:45 PM

562 posts, read 677,085 times
I will not even move into Heaven if the sign on the door said No Animals Allowed, but I believe GOD loves animals. I would move if I were you op. My family and I moved twenty times with cats and dogs and we never had a problem finding a place. I looked at ads in my area and on craigslist and saw a few that accepted cats. There were even cat Folks I knew that had cat allergies but took meds. Of course allergy tests go by how high your numbers are from 1-13 and it would depend on how high someone ranked. I just found out I scored 11 for a horse allergy, which is high and I love them, so I will take the meds around them. I also had birds, cats, and dogs and just found out I was allergic to them too all this time, yet never felt anything, because I scored only a three. I think some birds make just as good therapy pets as cats and dogs. My pet pigeon I raised from a baby use to play with me everyday and made me very happy also. If you don't want to move, look for a bird that makes you happy. What kind of a landlord wouldn't even let you have a pet bird?

Last edited by glenninindy; 06-23-2020 at 10:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: