Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 03:28 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times

Advertisements

I'm the opposite. River North is very noisy, full of traffic (before Covid), and is more of the window dressing of Chicago. I appreciate the upscale restaurants....5% of my life. Suburbanites LOVE River North - it's what they think of when they want to go downtown (other than Millennium Park, Mag Mile and Navy Pier).

West Loop is pretty awesome. I'd probably live there if I could afford it. It's a mix of a warehouse/meat packing style but with very high quality restaurants dripped in. Many of the top chefs in the city opened their restaurants there. It's expensive though.

Wicker used to be THE Bohemia neighborhood of Chicago - funky shops and artists. A little gritty. But it's gotten slicker the last 5-10 years and is more of a yuppie hood now. Everyone I know that has lived there loved it. Understand the commute would be tougher here, the Blue Line (pre-covid) is PACKED to the point residents groan every time a new condo building goes up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 07:45 PM

504 posts, read 495,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I'm the opposite. River North is very noisy, full of traffic (before Covid), and is more of the window dressing of Chicago. I appreciate the upscale restaurants....5% of my life. Suburbanites LOVE River North - it's what they think of when they want to go downtown (other than Millennium Park, Mag Mile and Navy Pier).

West Loop is pretty awesome. I'd probably live there if I could afford it. It's a mix of a warehouse/meat packing style but with very high quality restaurants dripped in. Many of the top chefs in the city opened their restaurants there. It's expensive though.

Wicker used to be THE Bohemia neighborhood of Chicago - funky shops and artists. A little gritty. But it's gotten slicker the last 5-10 years and is more of a yuppie hood now. Everyone I know that has lived there loved it. Understand the commute would be tougher here, the Blue Line (pre-covid) is PACKED to the point residents groan every time a new condo building goes up.
I agree with this post the most. I would never live in River North but find WL and Wicker to be amazing neighborhoods. Definitely go for one of these two and you won't regret it!

Old 07-04-2020, 10:12 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
I agree with this post the most. I would never live in River North but find WL and Wicker to be amazing neighborhoods. Definitely go for one of these two and you won't regret it!

Yeah, although to me, as nice as the West Loop is, it still doesn't feel like a traditional Chicago "neighborhood." Although, it may be the best compromise. Most of the apartments are either modern/new construction or renovated lofts that are very trendy and modern in the inside. Also it is a lot less touristy than River North.

Wicker Park is cool, although it is much older housing stock, which some do not like (especially with the grueling winters). There are some new construction apartments scattered around though, although they are very expensive.

River North is definitely the trendy district. I don't agree that all of the restaurants are great. They have some good ones, although a lot fall into the "tourist trap" category IMO. The tourist presence is what really takes away from the true Chicago neighborhood feel IMO. Although the biggest plus is the abundance of modern apartments. For many, this is important, and in River North and Streeterville, the vast majority of apartment options are modern.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:10 PM

296 posts, read 657,992 times
Thank you all so much for the advice! Are there any neighborhoods outside of these 3 that you would recommend?

Also, will I need a car if I live in Wicker Park? I am not planning to have one when I first move.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:27 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,016 times
A single 35-year old who can afford $2000-$2500 rent should absolutely live in West Loop/Fulton Market. You're the perfect demographic for that neighbohood.

As for other neighborhoods, different strokes for different people. If I were gay, I'd live in Andersonville hands down. If I were ten years younger (currently 38 and in South Loop), I'd be in Lakeview or Wicker. Maybe Logan Square. If I were married and had a kid, probably Lincoln Square or Southport.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:51 PM

296 posts, read 657,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
A single 35-year old who can afford $2000-$2500 rent should absolutely live in West Loop/Fulton Market. You're the perfect demographic for that neighbohood.

As for other neighborhoods, different strokes for different people. If I were gay, I'd live in Andersonville hands down. If I were ten years younger (currently 38 and in South Loop), I'd be in Lakeview or Wicker. Maybe Logan Square. If I were married and had a kid, probably Lincoln Square or Southport.
How do you feel about Old Town? I have found some pretty nice places there well within my price range.

Old 07-08-2020, 03:12 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,016 times
It's fine and there's plenty of social activity on Wells, North, and a few other streets. Basically a smaller Lincoln Park.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:45 PM

504 posts, read 495,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romes591 View Post
Thank you all so much for the advice! Are there any neighborhoods outside of these 3 that you would recommend?

Also, will I need a car if I live in Wicker Park? I am not planning to have one when I first move.
No car needed for any of the neighborhoods that you've posted. Very walkable and transitable city.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:13 AM

410 posts, read 633,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romes591 View Post

I'd look into the South Loop as well. Lots of new high rise development. A little lacking in terms of amenities compared to the other 3, but it has improved immensely in the past decade.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:29 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
I'd look into the South Loop as well. Lots of new high rise development. A little lacking in terms of amenities compared to the other 3, but it has improved immensely in the past decade.
I agree, although IMO you don't get that traditional Chicago neighborhood feel in South Loop (tree-lined streets, parks, local restaurants/bars/shops with neighborhood-locals, etc.). I'd definitely add Lincoln Park, Old Town, and Lakeview to the mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: