Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 09:25 AM

187 posts, read 185,316 times

Advertisements

Back to answer this topic's question, I nominate Bronzeville for the next hot neighborhood for 2021.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 07:45 AM

1,067 posts, read 915,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideMillennial View Post
Back to answer this topic's question, I nominate Bronzeville for the next hot neighborhood for 2021.
What makes you say that? Anything hot on the horizon in Bronzeville? I think the south side will be slowest to develop given the covid contraction in the city.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:02 AM

187 posts, read 185,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
What makes you say that? Anything hot on the horizon in Bronzeville? I think the south side will be slowest to develop given the covid contraction in the city.
It's just mind boggling how convenient this location is to the Loop & lakefront, and it's still not overly popular.. Most of the new developments I've seen are still actually in the South Loop area. However I do have hopes for Bronzeville particularly during late 2021 when Covid cases are decreasing.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:52 AM

1,067 posts, read 915,775 times
Quote:
It's just mind boggling how convenient this location is to the Loop & lakefront, and it's still not overly popular.. Most of the new developments I've seen are still actually in the South Loop area. However I do have hopes for Bronzeville particularly during late 2021 when Covid cases are decreasing.
It's going to take a while for Chicago expansion to pick back up. Covid is similar to the housing crash of 08 for cities. High rises have high vacancies. Rents have declined drastically. And you might have a wave of evictions in 2021 going into a weak labor market. These will take a while to fill back in so I do not see city development/expansion for a few years. The only thing that might save the outer hoods is that people want more space but still want to be in the city.

With that said...people with money do not want to live on the south side...despite the beautiful housing stock and reasons you mentioned.

Old 11-21-2020, 10:52 PM

504 posts, read 495,913 times
Quote:
I've lived in Bronzeville (not too nice a part) very briefly on a sublet. There is very very little to do there. I lived in the 40's streets on the nice side of MLK (east) and was never assaulted, robbed, or anything like that - but I witnessed a ton of dopeheads and the amount of visible domestic violence was kind of shocking.

When I think about investing there, its all about the idea of what the area could be like if new construction infilled between the beautiful mansions there.. but even around 35-40th it isn't particularly nice today and flipping that to the north side puts you in a much better place. It is going to be a while before white people flock to this area given the lack of businesses and very few food options. I really think east garfield park will gentrify first even if it has more crime today.

It'll be 2030 before Bronzeville might/could be a decent place to live from a business amenities standpoint.

Old 11-22-2020, 12:54 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Heh. Bronzeville has been "the next hot neighborhood" since at least the mid-1990s.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:00 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
I've lived in Bronzeville (not too nice a part) very briefly on a sublet. There is very very little to do there. I lived in the 40's streets on the nice side of MLK (east) and was never assaulted, robbed, or anything like that - but I witnessed a ton of dopeheads and the amount of visible domestic violence was kind of shocking.

When I think about investing there, its all about the idea of what the area could be like if new construction infilled between the beautiful mansions there.. but even around 35-40th it isn't particularly nice today and flipping that to the north side puts you in a much better place. It is going to be a while before white people flock to this area given the lack of businesses and very few food options. I really think east garfield park will gentrify first even if it has more crime today.

It'll be 2030 before Bronzeville might/could be a decent place to live from a business amenities standpoint.
Recently had a chance to buy in East Garfield Park. Nice deal and nice building but I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger, if you will. I just do not see the appeal of this neighborhood. Little Village is so much safer and also cheaper in general. Maybe some Urban Pioneers think differently but there's no signs of anything good going on that I could see. All the big developments are heavily subsidized. And I don't think the residential speculators are moving in there. They're waiting for someone else to do the work for them.

This is particularly disappointing given all of the BLM talk and even violence among younger white college kids over the cause this summer. I would have thought that would have translated into some action in the form of affirmative moves into injusticed communities like this. Maybe that will change going forward?

Old 11-23-2020, 12:57 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
10 years ago Wicker Park and the West Loop where going into overdrive. Now they are highly sought after communities with sky high rents and trendy establishments.

In 2015, Logan Square, and arguably Uptown, were undergoing a similar process.

My question is, what’s the next place that will hit the nitro button and undergo and accelerated development phase. Becoming a yuppified, hipster, wealthy enclave?

Pilsen seemed to be up next. But with an anti-gentrification aldermen and a tight knit community it could take some time.

My other candidates would be Bridgeport, Avondale, Humboldt Park, and East Garfield Park

Call me crazy, but I’m personally thinking East Garfield Park could actually be the next one here.
I'd bet on near suburbs with nice downtown/main streets and room for redevelopment, specifically ones that are below fair market value.

Forest Park would be my first draft pick.

I think we'll see other, further out suburbs take on new development and redevelopment to better offer city type options and experiences that appeal to new Chicago expats.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:16 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Recently had a chance to buy in East Garfield Park. Nice deal and nice building but I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger, if you will. I just do not see the appeal of this neighborhood. Little Village is so much safer and also cheaper in general. Maybe some Urban Pioneers think differently but there's no signs of anything good going on that I could see. All the big developments are heavily subsidized. And I don't think the residential speculators are moving in there. They're waiting for someone else to do the work for them.

This is particularly disappointing given all of the BLM talk and even violence among younger white college kids over the cause this summer. I would have thought that would have translated into some action in the form of affirmative moves into injusticed communities like this. Maybe that will change going forward?
It is sad but not surprising that woke crowd are all talk but no action.

Old 11-25-2020, 02:53 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I'd bet on near suburbs with nice downtown/main streets and room for redevelopment, specifically ones that are below fair market value.

Forest Park would be my first draft pick.
And you'd be drafting the equivalent of Cade McNown. Ain't gonna happen. Suburbs are inherently limited in appeal to young people, no matter how much they try to sell themselves as cool. And young people are what drives "hot."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago