Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 08:30 PM

6 posts, read 11,217 times

Advertisements

Chicago's Chinatown has been booming based off of a lot of what I've read up on it. Is it in danger of gentrifying anytime soon? Where is it art in the process if that process has begun already?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2020, 03:27 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,016 times
If by gentrifying you mean are white people moving there, the answer is generally no. Most of the real estate, residential and commercial, is still captured by those few Chinese families, and there are still plenty of hoodrats causing problems. So breathe easy.

If by gentrifying you mean is there a Starbucks, yes, there is one.

Old 09-12-2020, 04:11 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
If by gentrifying you mean are white people moving there, the answer is generally no. Most of the real estate, residential and commercial, is still captured by those few Chinese families, and there are still plenty of hoodrats causing problems. So breathe easy.

If by gentrifying you mean is there a Starbucks, yes, there is one.
I'm not sure but isn't there a Starbucks on the moon now? Ok, I'll have to confirm that, but I will say that a Starbucks hasn't been a sign of gentrification for awhile now. They're pretty much everywhere, including Kabul, Afghanistan...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...8324906234693/

As to actual gentrification, Chinatown is very expensive now, I know that. Not sure if this has impacted demographics. It's a pretty small area. But I would say pricewise, it is gentrified, yes.

Old 09-12-2020, 05:37 PM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
I know that as prices rise and the population grows, a lot of the Chinese population has moved southwest, but has much of it moved southeast into the Douglas community area? Also, is there a colocation of other East and Southeast Asians to the area or is pretty much exclusively Chinese who make up the growing Asian population?

Old 09-12-2020, 07:49 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
Instead of outsiders moving into Chinatown, the number of Asians in the area is actually exploding. More Asians are in Bridgeport, the near south and in Bronzeville. It is rumored that the purchasers of Mayor Daley's boyhood home are Asian. So, if anything, Chinatown ix exploding not gentryfying.

Old 09-12-2020, 07:59 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,016 times
Northern Bronzeville (25th to 37th) has had an influx of ethnic Chinese. I don't believe there are other Asian ethnic groups to any notable degree.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:46 AM

474 posts, read 530,005 times
There are concerns that the development of the 78 north of Ping Tom Park could accelerate gentrification in the area. One of the reasons Chicago Chinatown has grown relative to neighborhoods in SF & NYC is because the buffer zone between Chinatown and the Loop, and continuous immigration made it a community that was closed to developers. Now that land is being developed, and the Wells-Wentworth connector will directly link Chinatown’s “Main Street” to the Loop, there will be a lot more interest in the neighborhood.

That being said I think Chinatown is already gentrifying, just in less apparent ways. For example, there are many more Mainlanders in Chinatown than there were a decade or two ago. Up until recently you would see lots of well-dressed international students in Chinatown Square. For better or for worse, most of the new businesses in Chinatown seem to cater to a Mandarin-speaking clientele as opposed to the historically Cantonese population of the neighborhood.

Old 09-13-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
There are concerns that the development of the 78 north of Ping Tom Park could accelerate gentrification in the area. One of the reasons Chicago Chinatown has grown relative to neighborhoods in SF & NYC is because the buffer zone between Chinatown and the Loop, and continuous immigration made it a community that was closed to developers. Now that land is being developed, and the Wells-Wentworth connector will directly link Chinatown’s “Main Street” to the Loop, there will be a lot more interest in the neighborhood.

That being said I think Chinatown is already gentrifying, just in less apparent ways. For example, there are many more Mainlanders in Chinatown than there were a decade or two ago. Up until recently you would see lots of well-dressed international students in Chinatown Square. For better or for worse, most of the new businesses in Chinatown seem to cater to a Mandarin-speaking clientele as opposed to the historically Cantonese population of the neighborhood.
Maybe they should open up more area for Chinatown to expand into like by getting rid of Stevenson Expressway east of its interchange with Dan Ryan.

Old 09-13-2020, 01:28 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Maybe they should open up more area for Chinatown to expand into like by getting rid of Stevenson Expressway east of its interchange with Dan Ryan.
And isolate the southwest side more? That makes sense. Not. Chicago does not end at 35th Street.

Old 09-13-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
And isolate the southwest side more? That makes sense. Not. Chicago does not end at 35th Street.
Isolate it? I’m talking about the southeast side, not the southwest. Basically have a continuous street grid to allow the near south side to continue on down in and around the lakefront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago