Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 12:59 AM

39,809 posts, read 26,403,608 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be going through the area in a few weeks, heading from Madison, WI to Buffalo, NY. I'll be on a motorcycle. The most direct route is via I-90. It's been 25 years since I've last taken that route, all I remember was an endless stream of toll booths every 2 miles or so, and a mass of traffic. Is it still that bad, or have they finally gotten rid of the tolls?

Is 88/294 any better? Finally-have the BLM riots shut down those major highways at all, or has that been kept more local? That's the last thing I want to be caught in the middle of that kind of mess on a bike.

Thanks for your input.

Oh, another thought. I've only spent time in the city once, many years ago, where I discovered that Chicago pizza is the best in the country. Wouldn't mind grabbing dinner somewhere at a pizza joint on the way through. Can you perhaps recommend one convenient to a recommended route through the city? THanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 04:10 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,385,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm going to be going through the area in a few weeks, heading from Madison, WI to Buffalo, NY. I'll be on a motorcycle. The most direct route is via I-90. It's been 25 years since I've last taken that route, all I remember was an endless stream of toll booths every 2 miles or so, and a mass of traffic. Is it still that bad, or have they finally gotten rid of the tolls?

Is 88/294 any better? Finally-have the BLM riots shut down those major highways at all, or has that been kept more local? That's the last thing I want to be caught in the middle of that kind of mess on a bike.

Thanks for your input.

Oh, another thought. I've only spent time in the city once, many years ago, where I discovered that Chicago pizza is the best in the country. Wouldn't mind grabbing dinner somewhere at a pizza joint on the way through. Can you perhaps recommend one convenient to a recommended route through the city? THanks again.
I-90 is still a toll road until O'Hare airport from Wisconsin, as well as the Skyway.

I-39 S to I-80 into Indiana would be the your route with the least amount of tolls. I-90 is tolled and I-94 is mega-congested in the city.

With I-39S--->I-80E, you would only be paying tolls entering and leaving Illinois. You could probably get deep dish in the south suburbs along I-80 if you ventured off a bit.

Old 07-11-2020, 05:01 AM

7,181 posts, read 5,033,283 times
I've been riding for 50+ yrs, hence the screen name. I can tell the species of bug by it's taste....If time is a priority, then fly. I can think of nothing more boring than riding the Interstates.

Is your goal to get PAST Chicago, or to actually ride thru it? If you're on an interstate surrounded by Chicago, you're not actually IN Chicago, and you'll wear out your clutch and over-heat your engine in stop&go rush "hour" (that hour is 5 hours in the AM and 5 hours in the PM)...The expressways in Chi run thru some pretty nasty neighborhoods, so leaving in order to get a pizza is not advisable.

I'd take US14 out of Madison to IL 47 to US 30 (The Lincoln Hywy--America's 1st Mainstreet before they built 66) and on thru IN.....US30 from about Plainfield to New Lennox is solid Suburbia, but the rest of it is more rural...Plenty of Chicago style pizzerias in that suburban section. Many good biker bars all along the way....Giodano's right on 30 in Franfort (cute town with an old mainstreet just 2 blocks south of 30) https://www.bing.com/maps?q=chicago%...65D79443D38239

I've had some experience with long distance travelling. At 100mph, the wind beats you up and you can only do 500 mi/d. Near the speed limit, it takes 8-10hr to go that 500 mi-- that's plenty. Some guys like to brag about 1000 mi/d-- boring riding 15 hrs at a stretch and sleeping the rest.

It's all about The Ride. Make it fun.

edit-- Oh, sorry. I just noticed you're from Idaho. I thought you were a Cheesehead. You're probably accustomed to Interstate travel-- but keep in mind it's different out west then here in civilization. CCRest is right- I39 to 80 is your best bet. I80 parallels US30 thru Frankfort, so easy access to that Giordano's.

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 07-11-2020 at 05:11 AM..

Old 07-11-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I've been riding for 50+ yrs, hence the screen name. I can tell the species of bug by it's taste....If time is a priority, then fly. I can think of nothing more boring than riding the Interstates.

Is your goal to get PAST Chicago, or to actually ride thru it? If you're on an interstate surrounded by Chicago, you're not actually IN Chicago, and you'll wear out your clutch and over-heat your engine in stop&go rush "hour" (that hour is 5 hours in the AM and 5 hours in the PM)...The expressways in Chi run thru some pretty nasty neighborhoods, so leaving in order to get a pizza is not advisable.

I'd take US14 out of Madison to IL 47 to US 30 (The Lincoln Hywy--America's 1st Mainstreet before they built 66) and on thru IN.....US30 from about Plainfield to New Lennox is solid Suburbia, but the rest of it is more rural...Plenty of Chicago style pizzerias in that suburban section. Many good biker bars all along the way....Giodano's right on 30 in Franfort (cute town with an old mainstreet just 2 blocks south of 30) https://www.bing.com/maps?q=chicago%...65D79443D38239

I've had some experience with long distance travelling. At 100mph, the wind beats you up and you can only do 500 mi/d. Near the speed limit, it takes 8-10hr to go that 500 mi-- that's plenty. Some guys like to brag about 1000 mi/d-- boring riding 15 hrs at a stretch and sleeping the rest.

It's all about The Ride. Make it fun.

edit-- Oh, sorry. I just noticed you're from Idaho. I thought you were a Cheesehead. You're probably accustomed to Interstate travel-- but keep in mind it's different out west then here in civilization. CCRest is right- I39 to 80 is your best bet. I80 parallels US30 thru Frankfort, so easy access to that Giordano's.
Yeah, I'm in Idaho, my brother is in Alabama, we've gotten together the last 5 years to ride and spend a week's vacation. I'm flying into Madison to pick up a new-to-me bike (K1600GTL-E), then heading to the Buffalo area where I grew up to visit and participate in a benefit motorcycle ride a friend puts on. Then down through WV and Tennessee's to explore possible retirement spots, and on down to Alabama to bros place for a couple days, before doing the cross-country slog. 2200 miles of interstate on the way home. May take an extra day and spend some time looking for fun roads rather than slab-but there really isn't much in some of that country.

Thanks for the input-exactly what I was looking for.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:54 AM

9,944 posts, read 5,618,641 times
Quote:

Thanks for your input.

If you want to avoid lots of stop-and-go traffic which I figure is no fun on a motorcycle heavy enough to be comfortable for a lengthy road trip, take 294 around the city. You may still encounter some thick traffic if you happen through at rush hour, but it will be a lot less than if you come directly through the city on 90/94. It may not look like the most direct route on a map but it only adds like 3 miles and will save you a lot of potential headaches, though it will add about $7 or so to your tolls. Or better yet you could take 90 to 355 to 80 which meets up with and runs concurrently with 90 through most of Indiana -- again, maybe not the most direct route but will ultimately save you time in the long run via less traffic and higher speed limits.

Speaking of tolls, yes we still have them. But we have open-road electronic tolling now like the rest of the developed world, so if you have an EZ-Pass you're all set.

Pizza: it's hard to beat Giordano's either for Chicago-style thin crust OR stuffed. Some locals agree, some disagree, but tourists seem to universally love the place. There are about 40 of them scattered throughout the metro area so you wouldn't have to deviate very far from your route whichever route you take.

ETA: Ah, I see you're from Idaho so you probably don't have an EZ-Pass. If you don't, order one and mount it to your bike because you can use it to pay tolls on the fly through IL, IN, OH, PA, and NY.

Last edited by Bitey; 07-11-2020 at 11:50 AM..

Old 07-11-2020, 12:07 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,510,056 times
Quote:
They seem to have died down, but Lake Shore Drive was shut down every night for more than several days, and suburban exits off of 94 were closed too.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:24 PM

I should have added, I just want to get past Chicago with as little grief (tolls/traffic) as possible. Not looking to stop, just due to time (well, perhaps will make a pizza exception!).

Old 07-11-2020, 12:33 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,510,056 times
Quote:
I should have added, I just want to get past Chicago with as little grief (tolls/traffic) as possible. Not looking to stop, just due to time (well, perhaps will make a pizza exception!).
Good luck. Traffic is back!

Old 07-11-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
If you want to avoid lots of stop-and-go traffic which I figure is no fun on a motorcycle heavy enough to be comfortable for a lengthy road trip, take 294 around the city. You may still encounter some thick traffic if you happen through at rush hour, but it will be a lot less than if you come directly through the city on 90/94. It may not look like the most direct route on a map but it only adds like 3 miles and will save you a lot of potential headaches, though it will add about $7 or so to your tolls. Or better yet you could take 90 to 355 to 80 which meets up with and runs concurrently with 90 through most of Indiana -- again, maybe not the most direct route but will ultimately save you time in the long run via less traffic and higher speed limits.

Speaking of tolls, yes we still have them. But we have open-road electronic tolling now like the rest of the developed world, so if you have an EZ-Pass you're all set.

Pizza: it's hard to beat Giordano's either for Chicago-style thin crust OR stuffed. Some locals agree, some disagree, but tourists seem to universally love the place. There are about 40 of them scattered throughout the metro area so you wouldn't have to deviate very far from your route whichever route you take.

ETA: Ah, I see you're from Idaho so you probably don't have an EZ-Pass. If you don't, order one and mount it to your bike because you can use it to pay tolls on the fly through IL, IN, OH, PA, and NY.
How much are tolls now, anyway? I like GLMs route of state highways instead of slab, but I'm time limited. Will be leaving Madison late afternoon, probably 4-5 and want to get to around Michigan City for the night. Makes for a reasonable ride the next day. 294 sounds like a plan.

How's 290/355/94? Looks like that would loop further from downtown.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:48 PM

9,944 posts, read 5,618,641 times
Quote:
You'll either pay more tolls, or contend with more congestion, or add significant time to your trip. You'll need to decide which headache will be least irritating.

Quote:

How much are tolls now, anyway? I like GLMs route of state highways instead of slab, but I'm time limited. Will be leaving Madison late afternoon, probably 4-5 and want to get to around Michigan City for the night. Makes for a reasonable ride the next day. 294 sounds like a plan.

How's 290/355/94? Looks like that would loop further from downtown.
Here's a toll calculator for driving through Illinois: https://www.getipass.com/trip-calculator -- keep in mind the rates are double if you don't get an EZ-Pass or I-Pass (Illinois' name for an EZ-Pass obtained through the Illinois Toll Authority).

Speaking of EZ-Pass, most states charge less if you use an EZ-Pass obtained through their state's toll authorities, so how much you pay in IN, OH, PA, and NY will depend on who you get your pass from.

The 90/290/355/94&80/80&90 route will probably be the quickest even though it's the longest of your interstate options through the metro area because of lower overall congestion and higher average speed limits.

Last edited by Bitey; 07-11-2020 at 01:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago