Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Beverly Hills of Chicago?
Gold Coast 34 40.96%
River North 0 0%
Wilmette 6 7.23%
Lake Forest 12 14.46%
Oak Brook 4 4.82%
Hinsdale 4 4.82%
Highland Park 5 6.02%
Burr Ridge 0 0%
Naperville 5 6.02%
other 13 15.66%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 06:42 AM

796 posts, read 929,925 times

Advertisements

oak street between michigan and rush resembles beverly hills. but there's also beverly the neighborhood, which is a nice area as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 06:37 PM

169 posts, read 87,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
I don't there is one. As others have mentioned only thing that would come close to it would be Palm Beach.

But IMO the closest thing to BH that exists is Coral Gables in the Miami metro. Has a very similar vibe, wealthy, has vibrant commercial district, hotel landmarks, celebrities and overall vibe.

To me Coral Gables is the closest thing to a Beverly Hills, followed by Palm Beach. After that no city really has anything comparable.
Highland Park (Dallas), TX was laid out by the same person who planned Beverly Hills. Luxurious area but more subdued and Waspy.

Greenwich, CT is dripping with money and has a vibrant downtown scene with high end shops and restaurants. Definitely a place to bring your Bentley.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:04 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
RIP the Beverly Hills of Chicago - the Gold Coast and North Michigan Ave. Eulogy to be read in 2021:

thanks to the rioters, it once was a good place, a great place, but now the few stores that are open, are now encased in a metal gate at the end of the day, similar to those on the south side and west side of Chicago which makes the neighborhood appear to be unsafe.

It once was grand, but unfortunately entitled brats decided they demanded reparations and they decided that insurance pays for it anyway, so the stores just could not open up for a third time after being looted repeatedly.

alas, there is no more Beverly Hills of Chicago, but there is a neighborhood called Beverly, maybe try that one.

Old 08-12-2020, 12:12 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
RIP the Beverly Hills of Chicago - the Gold Coast and North Michigan Ave. Eulogy to be read in 2021:

thanks to the rioters, it once was a good place, a great place, but now the few stores that are open, are now encased in a metal gate at the end of the day, similar to those on the south side and west side of Chicago which makes the neighborhood appear to be unsafe.

It once was grand, but unfortunately entitled brats decided they demanded reparations and they decided that insurance pays for it anyway, so the stores just could not open up for a third time after being looted repeatedly.

alas, there is no more Beverly Hills of Chicago, but there is a neighborhood called Beverly, maybe try that one.
Sadly a very few ruin the future for everyone and what’s worse we are letting it happen. In one night all the retail workers have no job to go back to. You can only reopen so many times before the plug is pulled. This really sucks for Chicago.

Old 08-12-2020, 12:23 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
I hate to use this analogy, but I DO see it as how a cancer spreads.

Assuming many of the looters may have no employment and reside in areas where broken glass and vandalism is common, now THIS area of Chicago is the same.

Except people are being forced to close their jobs when all they want to do is have a job!

Old 08-12-2020, 12:25 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:

Beverly Hills was looted following the death of George Floyd too.

Old 08-12-2020, 01:53 PM

16 posts, read 8,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
I hate to use this analogy, but I DO see it as how a cancer spreads.

Assuming many of the looters may have no employment and reside in areas where broken glass and vandalism is common, now THIS area of Chicago is the same.

Except people are being forced to close their jobs when all they want to do is have a job!
Not to mention the sales taxes from all those places is a major contributor to the city's revenue. When that's gone, property taxes go up as will rents. Hardly worth it in the long term for a free TV or pair of Jordans.

Old 08-12-2020, 02:01 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:

You are probably correct, sadly. Although as Hiruko points out, Beverly Hills was badly looted during the George Floyd rioting/looting. Although, they have not faced repeated rounds nearly 2 months after like Chicago has. Their’s was a one and done, like most other cities. The fact that 2 months later this is still happening in Chicago is certainly disturbing and likely will be the end of the once affluent feel to the Gold Coast.

It’s very likely that the vast majority of high-end shops and restaurants will be gone.

Old 08-12-2020, 02:03 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
nino jr, you know what's "weird"???

If one of my neighbors ran from a police officer and then fired at them, and then was shot by the police officer, I would NOT show my disapproval (even though my neighbor was WRONG) by breaking into a store.

Am I weird for NOT breaking into a store to say what I think happened was unjust?!?

Old 08-12-2020, 02:32 PM

16 posts, read 8,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
nino jr, you know what's "weird"???

If one of my neighbors ran from a police officer and then fired at them, and then was shot by the police officer, I would NOT show my disapproval (even though my neighbor was WRONG) by breaking into a store.

Am I weird for NOT breaking into a store to say what I think happened was unjust?!?
I agree...one has nothing to do with the other.

My "weird" random take about all this...I understand the impulse to want to fight the cops. But if you take it there, to me you need to accept what comes next. It annoys me when these white SJWs in particular wanna challenge the cops physically and then expect to be treated with kid gloves. It's like they fundamentally don't understand how violence works and how easily it escalates and gets perpetuated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago