Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 08:54 PM

5 posts, read 2,802 times

Advertisements

I make 120k. Barely enough for NYC. Or I can live in luxury in Chicago. During Covid-19, it also seems like NYC is NOT the place to be. I'm also noticing the girls in Chicago are becoming better looking lately? Big bonus. I'm thinking of getting a luxury high rise on the river.

What are the best high rises in Chicago with a River view?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 09:43 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
120k is not enough to live in luxury..or what do you consider living in luxury? How big apartment?

Old 07-15-2020, 10:04 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,553,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygagafan View Post
I make 120k. Barely enough for NYC. Or I can live in luxury in Chicago. During Covid-19, it also seems like NYC is NOT the place to be. I'm also noticing the girls in Chicago are becoming better looking lately? Big bonus. I'm thinking of getting a luxury high rise on the river.

What are the best high rises in Chicago with a River view?
$120k is not a life of luxury in Chicagoland. Haha.

Check out One Bennett Park, not on the river, but beautiful views. This is one of the best high-rises. Please let me know if $120k/year is enough to maintain a place there.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:58 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
120k is not enough to live in luxury..or what do you consider living in luxury? How big apartment?
It really depends on how much debt/fixed expenses someone has. If there is a good amount of debt involved, then you are right, it's not enough to live in "luxury," but if he/she is completely debt free, she can live pretty comfortably in Chicago (especially relative to cities like NY, SF/Bay Area, Boston, etc.).

Old 07-16-2020, 10:13 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
$120k is not a life of luxury in Chicagoland. Haha.

Check out One Bennett Park, not on the river, but beautiful views. This is one of the best high-rises. Please let me know if $120k/year is enough to maintain a place there.
I agree. I don't think I would say someone would be able to live a life of "luxury," but I think you can live comfortable, but it depends on a lot of variables. I was making a little more than $120K after I moved to Chicago and finished all of my schooling/training. I lived in a small studio in one of the modern "luxury" apartments.

The student loans are what got me. Having the large monthly student loans, putting away as much as I could monthly into retirement savings, health insurance, SS, etc. Then paying the monthly rent for a nice apartment, and adding in Parking, Cable/Internet, Electric, weekly groceries....I literally had hardly anything left! If I had sacrificed my strong retirement savings, I could have had more, but I don't want to do that. Not exactly the life of luxury.

I ended up moving to a more modest apartment, and lived much more comfortably, but again, I was not living the life of luxury, even with salary increases.

Now, with my loans almost completely paid off, and having a lot of money saved and a nice stream of monthly income, I could definitely afford to live in one of the luxury high rises with all the bells and whistles, but now I just can't justify spending that much money on rent monthly with no equity.

I'm honestly surprised by how many people live in these buildings. It goes to show you how many wealthy people there are in the city. Although, your money can go much farther if you balance your expenses (and don't shoot for living the life of luxury). Of course, if you have a large enough salary, you can definitely live that life.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:17 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,420,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I'm honestly surprised by how many people live in these buildings. It goes to show you how many wealthy people there are in the city. Although, your money can go much farther if you balance your expenses (and don't shoot for living the life of luxury). Of course, if you have a large enough salary, you can definitely live that life.
There's a lotta mom & dad trust funds from the suburbs & all over the Midwest helping to boost these young folks.

Old 07-16-2020, 11:55 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
$120k is solidly upper middle class for Chicago and can afford a very comfortable lifestyle.

Old 07-16-2020, 03:57 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
$120k is solidly upper middle class for Chicago and can afford a very comfortable lifestyle.
Solid upper middle....? You nreallyb think so.
Maybe if you are single with no kids or debt.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:51 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,553,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Perhaps for a single person, but definitely not for a family. An upper-middle-class family is definitely over $250k in Chicago.

What constitutes a comfortable lifestyle is entirely subjective.

Old 07-17-2020, 10:06 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
I'd get more for my money living in the suburbs actually.

But downtown, depends on what you want. Neighborhood is important. You might like to live on Gold Coast, or maybe Downtown, or maybe the New East Side, or maybe Lakeview. So many factors. you have to go check them out and see how it makes you feel and what you value.

I suggest contacting a realtor who can help you sort this out.

You should be able to afford something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago