Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2020, 08:50 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times

Advertisements

Great post Drover. I can't blame you, though I still believe the ****ARS are not the majority in this City. Rather, they are a very loud minority which has, unfortunately, infiltrated our political class from top to bottom. I hope it'll reach a breaking point and common sense will prevail. All I meant was that when people with sense leave, that lowers the chance of this happening.

Do I know that it will? Can I guarantee it? No, and that's why I don't blame you. As I've said in other threads recently, I have a lot of concerns over the future of this City. When I'm saying to myself that Lightfoot is better than Bryon Sigcho Lopez, you know we've fallen down pretty far! We can only hope this fever doesn't take over the whole nation and that there will still be good places to go.

Old 07-25-2020, 12:08 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You know what? I've tried to make a stand here. But this city, the people who run it, and too many of its inhabitants have lost their god damned minds.

I've been here for 20 years now, went to grad school here, connected with neighbors, made friends, supported local businesses, volunteered with neighborhood organizations, enrolled my kids in CPS schools. I've done all the things to build a life here, and laid the groundwork to be here indefinitely.

I haven't just sat on the sidelines either, hoping others would make it better. I've gotten my hands dirty. I got to know some of the beat officers. I've regularly attended CAPS meetings. I created a neighborhood watch. I became a community court advocate and I've attended hearings for murderers, carjackers and other sundry miscreants to remind the judge and prosecutor that the neighborhood is invested not just in getting criminals off the streets but KEEPING them off the streets. I've stared down gang-bangers in court and stood right beside their families and cohorts and taken abuse from them for daring to stand up for my community. And for my troubles, I'm now called a racist by some of my neighbors for helping to maintain systems of white supremacist oppression.

The forces unleashing chaos and rancor (hereinafter referred to as FUCRs) have been chipping away at the fundamental bonds of our society for decades now: religion, pluralism, rigorous education, family structure, meritocracy, personal responsibility and accountability, respect for wisdom and authority -- all anathema now, especially in leftist hotbeds like Chicago. Anyone who doubts the destruction caused by the erosion of these bonds should sit in a courtroom at 26th and California for a day and watch the endless stream of societal flotsam that drifts before the judge -- and then watch the judge toss these creeps and (often repeat) offenders back onto our streets with little to no bail. You'll learn how hard it is to not shout something that will get you ejected by the bailiff as people who commit crimes while out on a recognizance bond for a previous crime are released on a recognizance bond AGAIN.

And now, having achieved just about everything else they've set out to achieve, the FUCRs are vigorously yanking at the last thread keeping our precarious social fabric from coming completely unraveled: law enforcement. And I'm not just talking about the rioters, but the people in power who give them political cover by praising their good works and throwing the cops under a steamroller at every opportunity. In all the time I've lived here, I've never seen the force so completely demoralized and so ready to give up on protecting their city, because they feel like they're no longer allowed to protect it and the people they've sworn to protect hold them in blind contempt. And once the police give up, there's no stopping the FUCRs from turning on us next.

Meanwhile as the crime situation in my neighborhood and across the city deteriorates, I'm nevertheless surrounded by useful idiots who simply must signal their oh-so-progressive bona-fides from the comfort of their $800,000 homes by conspicuously supporting the FUCRs and their attacks on law enforcement and their "de-fund the police" campaigns. When a 14-year-old kid gets stabbed to death just steps from one of those $800,000 homes, it's because the perpetrator was undoubtedly forced into a life of crime by a racist society whose racist norms are enforced by our racist police. When an 18-year-old gets gunned down on a packed four-lane thoroughfare in the middle of rush hour in plain view of dozens of commuters getting off the Blue Line and Metra trains, well, that wouldn't have happened if only we'd diverted resources from law enforcement toward job and community development programs sooner.

I'd say it's a losing battle, but here in Chicago it's gone beyond that. When the body politic can't even agree on a basic truism such as the police are a necessary element of a functioning society, the battle is already lost.

So I'm done fighting it, at least here. The wife and I have reached our tolerance for being surrounded by sociopathy and governed by those who nurture it as a power-building strategy. We just bought a place well out in the suburbs, one that has the generic, soul-crushing sterility I swore I'd never surround myself with and swore not to raise my kids in. But the spiritual price to be paid for living out there is a fraction of what we will pay -- already have paid -- to live here. We'll be moving out there as soon as everything closes. While I leave with some reluctance, the rest of the family won't be looking back.

In short, the poison released by the FUCRs has managed to secrete itself into nearly every political, cultural, educational, and civic institution in this city, and we're only just starting to witness the predictable consequences -- it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better, if it ever does. And I'm both saddened and relieved to be giving up my front-row seat for the coming s*%t-show to some useful idiot who thinks putting a "Hate Has No Home Here" sign in their front lawn will fix the problem, or at the very least, maybe keep the FUCRs from violating THEIR home and family for now.

As for "diluting" my political power, the well here is already so poisoned that what little water remains now dilutes the poison, not the other way around.The criminals and radicals own this town now, and they know it.

I have no illusions this won't eventually reach us out in Karen Land -- to some extent it already has -- but at least we can make a stand out there for now whereas there's no stand left to make here. In the meantime, we will also assume our new home may just be a temporary stopover for us while we make long-term plans to get as far away from these FUCRs as possible.

So long, Chicago. You were great once, but I no longer recognize the city I fell in love with and I cannot abide what you have become.
Hi! Where have you been? I haven't seen your posts in forever.

Old 07-25-2020, 01:21 PM

1,067 posts, read 916,407 times
Quote:
You know what? I've tried to make a stand here. But this city, the people who run it, and too many of its inhabitants have lost their god damned minds.

I've been here for 20 years now, went to grad school here, connected with neighbors, made friends, supported local businesses, volunteered with neighborhood organizations, enrolled my kids in CPS schools. I've done all the things to build a life here, and laid the groundwork to be here indefinitely.

I haven't just sat on the sidelines either, hoping others would make it better. I've gotten my hands dirty. I got to know some of the beat officers. I've regularly attended CAPS meetings. I created a neighborhood watch. I became a community court advocate and I've attended hearings for murderers, carjackers and other sundry miscreants to remind the judge and prosecutor that the neighborhood is invested not just in getting criminals off the streets but KEEPING them off the streets. I've stared down gang-bangers in court and stood right beside their families and cohorts and taken abuse from them for daring to stand up for my community. And for my troubles, I'm now called a racist by some of my neighbors for helping to maintain systems of white supremacist oppression.

The forces unleashing chaos and rancor (hereinafter referred to as FUCRs) have been chipping away at the fundamental bonds of our society for decades now: religion, pluralism, rigorous education, family structure, meritocracy, personal responsibility and accountability, respect for wisdom and authority -- all anathema now, especially in leftist hotbeds like Chicago. Anyone who doubts the destruction caused by the erosion of these bonds should sit in a courtroom at 26th and California for a day and watch the endless stream of societal flotsam that drifts before the judge -- and then watch the judge toss these creeps and (often repeat) offenders back onto our streets with little to no bail. You'll learn how hard it is to not shout something that will get you ejected by the bailiff as people who commit crimes while out on a recognizance bond for a previous crime are released on a recognizance bond AGAIN.

And now, having achieved just about everything else they've set out to achieve, the FUCRs are vigorously yanking at the last thread keeping our precarious social fabric from coming completely unraveled: law enforcement. And I'm not just talking about the rioters, but the people in power who give them political cover by praising their good works and throwing the cops under a steamroller at every opportunity. In all the time I've lived here, I've never seen the force so completely demoralized and so ready to give up on protecting their city, because they feel like they're no longer allowed to protect it and the people they've sworn to protect hold them in blind contempt. And once the police give up, there's no stopping the FUCRs from turning on us next.

Meanwhile as the crime situation in my neighborhood and across the city deteriorates, I'm nevertheless surrounded by useful idiots who simply must signal their oh-so-progressive bona-fides from the comfort of their $800,000 homes by conspicuously supporting the FUCRs and their attacks on law enforcement and their "de-fund the police" campaigns. When a 14-year-old kid gets stabbed to death just steps from one of those $800,000 homes, it's because the perpetrator was undoubtedly forced into a life of crime by a racist society whose racist norms are enforced by our racist police. When an 18-year-old gets gunned down on a packed four-lane thoroughfare in the middle of rush hour in plain view of dozens of commuters getting off the Blue Line and Metra trains, well, that wouldn't have happened if only we'd diverted resources from law enforcement toward job and community development programs sooner.

I'd say it's a losing battle, but here in Chicago it's gone beyond that. When the body politic can't even agree on a basic truism such as the police are a necessary element of a functioning society, the battle is already lost.

So I'm done fighting it, at least here. The wife and I have reached our tolerance for being surrounded by sociopathy and governed by those who nurture it as a power-building strategy. We just bought a place well out in the suburbs, one that has the generic, soul-crushing sterility I swore I'd never surround myself with and swore not to raise my kids in. But the spiritual price to be paid for living out there is a fraction of what we will pay -- already have paid -- to live here. We'll be moving out there as soon as everything closes. While I leave with some reluctance, the rest of the family won't be looking back.

In short, the poison released by the FUCRs has managed to secrete itself into nearly every political, cultural, educational, and civic institution in this city, and we're only just starting to witness the predictable consequences -- it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better, if it ever does. And I'm both saddened and relieved to be giving up my front-row seat for the coming s*%t-show to some useful idiot who thinks putting a "Hate Has No Home Here" sign in their front lawn will fix the problem, or at the very least, maybe keep the FUCRs from violating THEIR home and family for now.

As for "diluting" my political power, the well here is already so poisoned that what little water remains now dilutes the poison, not the other way around.The criminals and radicals own this town now, and they know it.

I have no illusions this won't eventually reach us out in Karen Land -- to some extent it already has -- but at least we can make a stand out there for now whereas there's no stand left to make here. In the meantime, we will also assume our new home may just be a temporary stopover for us while we make long-term plans to get as far away from these FUCRs as possible.

So long, Chicago. You were great once, but I no longer recognize the city I fell in love with and I cannot abide what you have become.
Very well said...you will be missed! As for me I am staying to fight and will no longer be the a silent part of the silent majority. I plan to vocally object to these ridiculous movements that have no basis in common sense or rationale behavior.

Old 07-25-2020, 01:52 PM

4,647 posts, read 3,254,543 times
Fight the good fight! I will come have your back!!

Old 07-25-2020, 03:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I can't really blame you Drover. It's getting tough to put up with insane virtue signaling anarchy. We are sticking it out but I do think about it it at times, which I never did in the past.
This is how I know for sure that maybe I'm onto something. I expected your response to be more akin to "and stay out."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Great post Drover. I can't blame you, though I still believe the ****ARS are not the majority in this City. Rather, they are a very loud minority which has, unfortunately, infiltrated our political class from top to bottom. I hope it'll reach a breaking point and common sense will prevail. All I meant was that when people with sense leave, that lowers the chance of this happening.
The problem is, all it takes is a very loud and very committed minority to take over all these institutions of power and influence and then use them to foreclose any attempt by the majority to reassert their primacy. Or at least, make it very difficult for them to do so. Fighting a very loud and fanatical minority while the "silent majority" (assuming there is one) sits on the sidelines is every bit as difficult as fighting a flat-out majority. In some ways it's even more so because you wonder what you're even fighting for if those who quietly purport to be on your side don't care enough to fight for it themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Do I know that it will? Can I guarantee it? No, and that's why I don't blame you. As I've said in other threads recently, I have a lot of concerns over the future of this City. When I'm saying to myself that Lightfoot is better than Bryon Sigcho Lopez, you know we've fallen down pretty far! We can only hope this fever doesn't take over the whole nation and that there will still be good places to go.
You know this place has really gone to hell when you look back fondly at the Daley years as a model of sane, competent governance compared to what we have today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Hi! Where have you been? I haven't seen your posts in forever.
Mostly I've been busy at work and looking after my family. And it sure hasn't done my mental health any harm to take a break from this place either. Last night's (technically this morning's) post is the first time I've ever publicly disclosed in the CD forums that I have kids because several years ago I was the target of a doxxing campaign (back before we had a word to describe it) and I didn't want to give their efforts any additional motivation or targets to go after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Very well said...you will be missed! As for me I am staying to fight and will no longer be the a silent part of the silent majority. I plan to vocally object to these ridiculous movements that have no basis in common sense or rationale behavior.
I'd be a lot more inclined to stay and fight with you if I were single, but I have to look after the mental health of my entire family. My wife grew up on a farm so she never cared for the city life to begin with. But she put up with it to be with me, and she's completely ready to be done with it. And with kids in the mix too... well, IMO, the spiritual atmosphere here has just become too toxic for raising a family, even for people with the means to shelter them from the worst of what's happening around us.

Take for instance the stabbing and shooting incidents I referenced above. The 15-year-old (I was mistaken earlier about him being 14) who got stabbed to death? He was one of my daughter's classmates in elementary school. He was several grades above her so she never knew him, but obviously word gets around and kids talk and they get sad and scared and confused. What's more, the stabbing occurred across the street from Independence Park 20 minutes after my kids had come home from playing at said park. They had literally just ridden their bikes past the spot right before it happened.

And the 18-year-old who was shot? It happened right by the Irving Park Blue Line and Metra stops, two blocks from the park, while my kids were playing there. So then I have to explain to them why the neighborhood was swarmed with cop cars rushing all over the place while they're just trying to chill out with their friends at the park.

And these are just the most recent such events.

Mind you, I don't want my kids to be completely sheltered from the harsh realities of the world. That's why I've tried raising them in the city to begin with, so they wouldn't be completely isolated from reality out in the "the world's just fine, no worries!" artifice of surburban Stepfordia. But it gets dispiriting to have to explain it to them again and again in a way that hits so close to home, in a neighborhood we pay enough to live in that we shouldn't have to.

I wish you well and I hope more people are willing to step out with you and fight back. I wish I could do it beside you, but I'm just too exhausted and disillusioned and it's time for everyone's sake in my family to move on.

Old 07-25-2020, 03:50 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
Quote:
This is how I know for sure that maybe I'm onto something. I expected your response to be more akin to "and stay out."

The problem is, all it takes is a very loud and very committed minority to take over all these institutions of power and influence and then use them to foreclose any attempt by the majority to reassert their primacy. Or at least, make it very difficult for them to do so. Fighting a very loud and fanatical minority while the "silent majority" (assuming there is one) sits on the sidelines is every bit as difficult as fighting a flat-out majority. In some ways it's even more so because you wonder what you're even fighting for if those who quietly purport to be on your side don't care enough to fight for it themselves.

You know this place has really gone to hell when you look back fondly at the Daley years as a model of sane, competent governance compared to what we have today.

Mostly I've been busy at work and looking after my family. And it sure hasn't done my mental health any harm to take a break from this place either. Last night's (technically this morning's) post is the first time I've ever publicly disclosed in the CD forums that I have kids because several years ago I was the target of a doxxing campaign (back before we had a word to describe it) and I didn't want to give their efforts any additional motivation or targets to go after.

I'd be a lot more inclined to stay and fight with you if I were single, but I have to look after the mental health of my entire family. My wife grew up on a farm so she never cared for the city life to begin with. But she put up with it to be with me, and she's completely ready to be done with it. And with kids in the mix too... well, IMO, the spiritual atmosphere here has just become too toxic for raising a family, even for people with the means to shelter them from the worst of what's happening around us.

Take for instance the stabbing and shooting incidents I referenced above. The 15-year-old (I was mistaken earlier about him being 14) who got stabbed to death? He was one of my daughter's classmates in elementary school. He was several grades above her so she never knew him, but obviously word gets around and kids talk and they get sad and scared and confused. What's more, the stabbing occurred across the street from Independence Park 20 minutes after my kids had come home from playing at said park. They had literally just ridden their bikes past the spot right before it happened.

And the 18-year-old who was shot? It happened right by the Irving Park Blue Line and Metra stops, two blocks from the park, while my kids were playing there. So then I have to explain to them why the neighborhood was swarmed with cop cars rushing all over the place while they're just trying to chill out with their friends at the park.

And these are just the most recent such events.

Mind you, I don't want my kids to be completely sheltered from the harsh realities of the world. That's why I've tried raising them in the city to begin with, so they wouldn't be completely isolated from reality out in the "the world's just fine, no worries!" artifice of surburban Stepfordia. But it gets dispiriting to have to explain it to them again and again in a way that hits so close to home, in a neighborhood we pay enough to live in that we shouldn't have to.

I wish you well and I hope more people are willing to step out with you and fight back. I wish I could do it beside you, but I'm just too exhausted and disillusioned and it's time for everyone's sake in my family to move on.
"Welcome to the Party, Pal"
(Bruce Willis, Die Hard)

Old 07-25-2020, 04:46 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Aaaaaallll the old timers coming out!

Great post, Drover, and I don’t blame you.

The city has absolutely changed.

There is a danger in the air in many corners. A lot of people don’t know it because they don’t leave their transplant neighborhoods, but I kinda go all over, or at least have in the past, but I too am throwing in the towel, in a sense.

I took a walk down Chicago from downtown to Western Thursday night, maybe form 9-10:30, and for the first time in 20 years I ended up admitting to myself that I did not feel safe. I’ve done this literally hundreds of times, but the dynamics have changed.

I walked with my mom to a Best Buy last weekend and then saw in the newspaper that had we taken the same path the day before at the same time, we would have been a block or two away from where someone killed a man and his child.

I’m guessing the police have been forced to take their feet off the gas, and, to mix metaphors, all of the societal ills that were to a degree contained with a fragile lid are now boiling over freely.

The “awokening” is a joke. The only thing that is going to improve people’s lives are stable families and education. Period.

As for the immediate crime wave, they should flood the streets with cops everywhere. Of course everyone knows that, which is why they did so on the weekend of the Fourth.

But, to your point, in this political environment... we are farther away than ever in recent memory from actual, real solutions that would matter, so, in the near term, I agree, there is almost no point in fighting it, sans running for mayor in a few years under an extreme law and order platform. Who knows, there may be more of us than we think.

Old 07-25-2020, 04:55 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Aaaaaallll the old timers coming out!

Great post, Drover, and I don’t blame you.

The city has absolutely changed.

There is a danger in the air in many corners. A lot of people don’t know it because they don’t leave their transplant neighborhoods, but I kinda go all over, or at least have in the past, but I too am throwing in the towel, in a sense.

I took a walk down Chicago from downtown to Western Thursday night, maybe form 9-10:30, and for the first time in 20 years I ended up admitting to myself that I did not feel safe. I’ve done this literally hundreds of times, but the dynamics have changed.

I walked with my mom to a Best Buy last weekend and then saw in the newspaper that had we taken the same path the day before at the same time, we would have been a block or two away from where someone killed a man and his child.

I’m guessing the police have been forced to take their feet off the gas, and, to mix metaphors, all of the societal ills that were to a degree contained with a fragile lid are now boiling over freely.

The “awokening” is a joke. The only thing that is going to improve people’s lives are stable families and education. Period.

As for the immediate crime wave, they should flood the streets with cops everywhere. Of course everyone knows that, which is why they did so on the weekend of the Fourth.

But, to your point, in this political environment... we are farther away than ever in recent memory from actual, real solutions that would matter, so, in the near term, I agree, there is almost no point in fighting it, sans running for mayor in a few years under an extreme law and order platform. Who knows, there may be more of us than we think.
Alderman Ray Lopez may be the best hope, a tough gay Hispanic from the southwest side. Socialist Ramirez Rosa must absolutely hate him.

Old 07-26-2020, 04:54 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Quote:

LOL @ "FUCRs" and "societal flotsam"

I think you'll find suburban life ain't so bad. I have colleagues who were reluctantly dragged out of the city onto my home turf by the demands of family life much as it sounds like you have been. When you ask them to stop and think about what they really miss about city life and how often they really got to participate in those things once the kiddos came along, eventually they'll admit their lifestyle change is much more on account of having kids than moving out to suburbia.

They imagined they wouldn't go to Navy Pier or the Field Museum or some other major attraction with their family as often, then they realize they rarely took their kids to these places even when they lived only a couple miles away because getting there was only a small part of the time commitment. They lament they don't go out to bars and fancy restaurants as often, then they realize suburbia has plenty of both and their decline in going to either really happened when the kids came, not when they moved. Same with taking in concerts at the Vic or Riviera or Metro or whatever -- those came to a halt when the kids showed up and not when they moved to (insert suburb here).

And don't even get me started on the parents who are relieved they don't have to play the "roll the dice to see if your kids get to go to a halfway decent school" game CPS plays with parents of school-aged kids.

Old 07-26-2020, 05:05 AM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I'm not sure how that's any better or worse than us having Governor Pork Chop.
The difference is that for all his many faults, Cuomo took charge when De Bozo threatened to let NYC spiral out of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago