U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2020, 05:14 PM

61,306 posts, read 79,546,789 times

Advertisements

I am a native they used to have mayors in touch with reality - not especially nice people but effective - chicago is like that
Rate this post positively

Old 08-22-2020, 06:32 AM

38,704 posts, read 93,442,987 times
This here is the kind of crap that's driving me out of here:

"We're tough on guns!" proclaim our local politicians. Hey, here's an idea: how about being tough on gun offenders so they're not out on the streets to offend for the fourth fucking time. Oh yeah, and maybe stop lying to us about how easy it is to just run over to Hammond and buy a gun and bring it back, as if Indiana has some special exemption from federal legislation prohibiting gun sales to out-of-state buyers.

Then there's this gem that perfectly illustrates my previously expressed frustration as a court advocate: Are you fucking kidding me? Shouldn't he have maybe had to post a at least a nominal bond after violating the first recognizance bond, if not the second?

And here's the grand finale: So a man who literally tried to kill a woman in plain view of the public isn't even detained or charged and is cut loose to go on an arson and robbery spree. Great god damned job to everyone involved.

I've already heard it from some of my "friends" and neighbors: "you're soft for leaving." No, you imbeciles are soft in the head for thinking that a healthy body politic should tolerate this degree of political and bureaucratic malignancy.

I knew when I moved here that I had agreed to accept a certain level of political and societal dysfunction in exchange for a convenient commute and convenient access to cultural amenities and convenient "diversity" bragging rights. But at that time, the dysfunctional system at least understood that protecting the citizenry was central to its mission and existence.

Alas, the system has become so dysfunctional that it no longer knows whether it's best to protect the citizenry or protect those who prey on the citizenry. Why any sane citizen with the means to leave would nevertheless choose to remain and be governed by such a morally vacuous cabal is beyond me.

Six more days and we're out.

Old 08-22-2020, 08:40 AM
Status: "And just like that, Covid was gone." (set 4 days ago)

8,142 posts, read 7,038,428 times
so yesterday on the NBC Chicago news, mayor Grootfoot was having a meeting with some alderman. At one point, she did not like what they said (they must have challenged her or questioned her - sounded like the alderman were speaking in a gentle tone of voice).. so she suddenly hit the gavel hard - twice and said meetings over. the alderman said "Mayor aren't there 3 items on the agenda" but she hit the gavel again and said meetings over in an angry tone. And it was over.

wow. just wow.

she has gotten totally Nazi on us.

Old 08-22-2020, 10:07 AM

1,705 posts, read 465,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
so yesterday on the NBC Chicago news, mayor Grootfoot was having a meeting with some alderman. At one point, she did not like what they said (they must have challenged her or questioned her - sounded like the alderman were speaking in a gentle tone of voice).. so she suddenly hit the gavel hard - twice and said meetings over. the alderman said "Mayor aren't there 3 items on the agenda" but she hit the gavel again and said meetings over in an angry tone. And it was over.

wow. just wow.

she has gotten totally Nazi on us.
And people in this city voted for her it just blows my mind!! Just read people that live DOWNTOWN are afraid to go out. Young woman attacked in Lincoln park, more shootings all over the place on and on. Have fun Chicago LOL.

Old 08-22-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
And people in this city voted for her it just blows my mind!! Just read people that live DOWNTOWN are afraid to go out. Young woman attacked in Lincoln park, more shootings all over the place on and on. Have fun Chicago LOL.

yep! i did not vote for the Groot. thank God at least i have my dignity still, as i do not do identity politics.

My friend whose shop was destroyed is suffering from the stress from it and the feeling of being violated and attacked.

As for me, im in a safe part where the riots have not come down my block, but who knows when those bastards are going to attack the residential buildings. when the bridges go up, it makes you wonder if you will be able to get back home and/or if a random rioter is going to attack you. Daytime seems safe enough to go out.

Really sucks when they attack the neighborhoods which were safe enough just a couple years ago. I used to go out dancing in Boystown (Lakeview) and could walk home at 2:00 a.m. where i lived. Not any more. idiots coming from elsewhere are now hassling all the bars and the people leaving the bars and have totally fubared that. Boystown is totally changed since 2005 where i last enjoyed it. they come on the L and get off on Belmont and Sheffield, and terrorize the neighborhood.

Here's the thing - if people are not here to patronize the bars and restaurants and only want to use Boystown as a hangout for them and their thug friends hassling people, then i say "get outta here and go back to the slime you came from" (that's to the riffraff).

Old 08-22-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
yep! i did not vote for the Groot. thank God at least i have my dignity still, as i do not do identity politics.

My friend whose shop was destroyed is suffering from the stress from it and the feeling of being violated and attacked.

As for me, im in a safe part where the riots have not come down my block, but who knows when those bastards are going to attack the residential buildings. when the bridges go up, it makes you wonder if you will be able to get back home and/or if a random rioter is going to attack you. Daytime seems safe enough to go out.

Really sucks when they attack the neighborhoods which were safe enough just a couple years ago. I used to go out dancing in Boystown (Lakeview) and could walk home at 2:00 a.m. where i lived. Not any more. idiots coming from elsewhere are now hassling all the bars and the people leaving the bars and have totally fubared that. Boystown is totally changed since 2005 where i last enjoyed it. they come on the L and get off on Belmont and Sheffield, and terrorize the neighborhood.

Here's the thing - if people are not here to patronize the bars and restaurants and only want to use Boystown as a hangout for them and their thug friends hassling people, then i say "get outta here and go back to the slime you came from" (that's to the riffraff).
They seem bent on destroying every area. They want every part of this city or country for that matter to be as bad as where they came from. And they can because nobody is stopping them

Old 08-22-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
They seem bent on destroying every area. They want every part of this city or country for that matter to be as bad as where they came from. And they can because nobody is stopping them
they're in the suburbs too.. though sometimes i looks like soccer moms lining the streets.

I've seen them in Wheeling and along Roosevelt Road in Wheaton.

Trump just defeated a bill that is called something like AFFD where they wanted to stack low income housing apartments in the suburbs. its something against single-family home ownership also but also infiltrating section 8 types in the nice suburbs.. they want the so-called rich people to know what it feels like for the so-called "opppressed" sheesh.

did you see the idiots in florida screaming in the middle of the night WAKE UP WAKE UP just trying to mess with the residents peaceful life. it was in that retirement community.

Looks like you cant totally escape them.

Old 08-22-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
they're in the suburbs too.. though sometimes i looks like soccer moms lining the streets.

I've seen them in Wheeling and along Roosevelt Road in Wheaton.

Trump just defeated a bill that is called something like AFFD where they wanted to stack low income housing apartments in the suburbs. its something against single-family home ownership also but also infiltrating section 8 types in the nice suburbs.. they want the so-called rich people to know what it feels like for the so-called "opppressed" sheesh.

did you see the idiots in florida screaming in the middle of the night WAKE UP WAKE UP just trying to mess with the residents peaceful life. it was in that retirement community.

Looks like you cant totally escape them.
I heard something but not the details. Wow that is messed up!!! Sorry about your friends shop too that is so beyond heartbreaking. And now I read about a shop owner on Jewelers row wearing protection and armed and ready as he has been hit multiple times. This is the new Chicago. Thank you voters!

Old 08-22-2020, 12:56 PM

2,697 posts, read 906,210 times
Quote:
If I didn't know better, it's almost like Lightfoot is "in" on it. But why? To what end?

Drover, sorry to see you go, it's Chicago's loss. When I read your post, I said to myself, "Holy smokes, Drover is my Doppelganger!" (meaning we think the same way about the city and it's shortcomings).

Sad, sad stuff. I've always believed in the idea that a small percentage of a community's residents (five percent?) commit the vast majority of the crimes - they are the "career criminals" that Drover was identifying in his post (three parole violations in a month). With the "catch and release" game they've been playing since Covid, it becomes all that much more apparent, and lays down the argument that we NEED prisons, and police. What is Illinois, and specifically Chicago, going to do when its tax base flees? Why would anyone want THAT? Can they really be that shortsighted to think that preventing another four years of Trump is worth it? Unbeleavingfreakable.

Old 08-22-2020, 02:49 PM

334 posts, read 101,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This here is the kind of crap that's driving me out of here:

"We're tough on guns!" proclaim our local politicians. Hey, here's an idea: how about being tough on gun offenders so they're not out on the streets to offend for the fourth fucking time. Oh yeah, and maybe stop lying to us about how easy it is to just run over to Hammond and buy a gun and bring it back, as if Indiana has some special exemption from federal legislation prohibiting gun sales to out-of-state buyers.

Then there's this gem that perfectly illustrates my previously expressed frustration as a court advocate: Are you fucking kidding me? Shouldn't he have maybe had to post a at least a nominal bond after violating the first recognizance bond, if not the second?

And here's the grand finale: So a man who literally tried to kill a woman in plain view of the public isn't even detained or charged and is cut loose to go on an arson and robbery spree. Great god damned job to everyone involved.

I've already heard it from some of my "friends" and neighbors: "you're soft for leaving." No, you imbeciles are soft in the head for thinking that a healthy body politic should tolerate this degree of political and bureaucratic malignancy.

I knew when I moved here that I had agreed to accept a certain level of political and societal dysfunction in exchange for a convenient commute and convenient access to cultural amenities and convenient "diversity" bragging rights. But at that time, the dysfunctional system at least understood that protecting the citizenry was central to its mission and existence.

Alas, the system has become so dysfunctional that it no longer knows whether it's best to protect the citizenry or protect those who prey on the citizenry. Why any sane citizen with the means to leave would nevertheless choose to remain and be governed by such a morally vacuous cabal is beyond me.

Six more days and we're out.
...and looters caught during the August 10 spree were arrested in the first spree...thanks Kim Foxx!

I’m sure you’re glad you are leaving the city, hope you’re also heading out of cook county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago