Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2020, 05:10 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You know what? I've tried to make a stand here. But this city, the people who run it, and too many of its inhabitants have lost their god damned minds. ******
So long, Chicago. You were great once, but I no longer recognize the city I fell in love with and I cannot abide what you have become.
This song (Youtube link below), American City Suite, by Cashman & West, was recorded in 1972 about New York City. New York City has rebounded. I don't know that Chicago can. This song is worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq0Cbtj_utY

Old 07-26-2020, 03:13 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
LOL @ "FUCRs" and "societal flotsam"

I think you'll find suburban life ain't so bad. I have colleagues who were reluctantly dragged out of the city onto my home turf by the demands of family life much as it sounds like you have been. When you ask them to stop and think about what they really miss about city life and how often they really got to participate in those things once the kiddos came along, eventually they'll admit their lifestyle change is much more on account of having kids than moving out to suburbia.

They imagined they wouldn't go to Navy Pier or the Field Museum or some other major attraction with their family as often, then they realize they rarely took their kids to these places even when they lived only a couple miles away because getting there was only a small part of the time commitment. They lament they don't go out to bars and fancy restaurants as often, then they realize suburbia has plenty of both and their decline in going to either really happened when the kids came, not when they moved. Same with taking in concerts at the Vic or Riviera or Metro or whatever -- those came to a halt when the kids showed up and not when they moved to (insert suburb here).

And don't even get me started on the parents who are relieved they don't have to play the "roll the dice to see if your kids get to go to a halfway decent school" game CPS plays with parents of school-aged kids.
I get what you're saying about how having kids changes your lifestyle in a way that makes having a 606XX address less of an imperative -- been there, done that. But there's more to it than that. There are certain intangibles that can't be quantified by evaluating objective costs versus benefits. It's like wearing a suit when you'd much rather be in jeans and a sweatshirt because the suit will make the difference between whether or not you clinch that huge account for your employer. Suburbia is the "suit" I'll be reluctantly wearing when I'd much rather be wearing the jeans and flannel shirt I'm wearing now. Maybe the suit would be more comfortable if we had landed in a traditional pre-war commuter neighborhood, but unfortunately that wasn't in the cards for us.

As for the school situation, believe it or not the CPS school choice program is one reason we've stayed here as long as we have. Our kids have very different learning styles and the ability to send them to different schools that best fit their different needs instead of being locked into our neighborhood boundary school was a major bonus. Yeah there was some luck of the draw involved but we had options we won't have in our suburban district. That said it was getting time to start looking into high schools for our oldest and that's an entirely different headache I'm glad we won't have to deal with.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:23 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
when Lightfoot gets defeated as mayor, lets put the statues back up that she tore down.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:35 PM

5,070 posts, read 2,179,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
when Lightfoot gets defeated as mayor, lets put the statues back up that she tore down.
Agree but in the meantime we are stuck with her and she will do even more damage

Old 07-30-2020, 02:11 PM

334 posts, read 170,537 times
So now CPD has 3 cops shot by a carjacking suspect while in custody; 2 of these cops are supposed to be OK, the 3rd not doing well at this time.

Tons of innocent residents killed in crossfire including, of course, the 14 dead kids killedthe past month.

Meanwhile, Lori Lighthead defending “peaceful”protesters turned attackers on police and property. We all saw the Columbus statue riot last week in grant park when the umbrella brigade switched up into their ANTIFA gear and started the assault on CPD officers.

When will Lighthead get it that Chicago needs more from the mayor than “calling out” the violent rioters post-riot?

Wait until Lighthead has to attend the next inevitable police officer funeral.

Meanwhile these losers in the streets are crying that cops used tear gas, pepper spray, or called them names. Lighthead has their backs though, unlike her police department.

Last edited by Castlebar; 07-30-2020 at 03:26 PM..

Old 07-30-2020, 02:26 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlebar View Post
So now CPD has 3 cops shot by a carjacking suspect while in custody; 2 of these cops are supposed to be OK, the 3rd not doing well at this time.

Tons of innocent residents killed in crossfire including, of course, the 14 dead kids killedthe past month.

Meanwhile, Lori Lighthead defending “peaceful”protesters turned attackers on police and property. We all saw the Columbus statue riot last week in grant park when the umbrella brigade switched up into their ANTIFA gear and started the assault on CPD officers.

When will Lighthead get it that Chicago needs more from the mayor than “calling out” the violent rioters post-riot?

Wait until Lighthead has to attend the next inevitable police officer funeral.

Meanwhile these losers in the streets are crying that cops used tear gas, pepper spray, or being called names...Lighthead has their backs though, unlike her police department.
It’s a hot mess. I’m not right wing or anything but video clearly showed these protestors agitating police to infinite then beyond over and over and over - then the media and a lot of other people put the cops under a Hubble power microscope for any kind of pushback or retaliation at all.

I mean, it really begs the question, and someone should ask the Mayor: So, how many fireworks am I allowed to throw at the cops?

I don’t know what to say except it’s the end game of some fetishization of feigned, self serving sensitivity or something.

The lunatics are running the asylum.

So far as much as I can tell Lightfoot is willing to get on Twitter and clarify that one is NOT to shoot children and it is WRONG and it CANNOT go in.

Thank you for clearing that up, Mrs. Mayor.

Unfortunately this whole country has its head up its a## at the moment. In a sane world they’d send in 5,000 cop cars on a quasi permanent basis.

Then maybe little kids from bad neighborhoods really would be able to live in their neighborhoods and go to school without fear.

Old 07-30-2020, 02:52 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
If this guy doesn't make it I should think Beetlejuice would have the self-awareness to know she'd be run off the scene on a rail if she dared show her face at the memorial service.

Old 07-30-2020, 07:25 PM

1,013 posts, read 912,633 times
It’s getting so bad that if the US had to go to war against another country some would have us stand down and let the enemy destroy most of our ships and planes before we responded.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
It’s getting so bad that if the US had to go to war against another country some would have us stand down and let the enemy destroy most of our ships and planes before we responded.
That destruction of ships could have been a negotiating opportunity not to be missed. Remember the Japanese Ambassador was negotiating with FDR when Pearl Harbor happened. Our failure to negotiate in good faith had tragic results.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal Audiophile View Post
I didn't realize that the carjacker who shot the cops today was part of BLM or Antifa
He, she or it probably wasn't. Effective gun control legislation would have prevented that since the carjacker was likely highly observant of gun laws.

Also when I applied to join AntiFa the organization rigorously scrutinized my background, including my extensive criminal record. My application was rejected based on a a 1980 charge, which was adjourned in contemplation of dismissal for "trespassing on subway", at the Eighth Avenue and 42nd Street A, E and C station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago