Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2020, 01:12 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times

Advertisements

Somebody needs to take her fishing with the mob

Old 08-11-2020, 04:40 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
People wanted to brush the real problem under the rug for years, but the country and world have not been ignoring it.....it is VIOLENT CRIME that has tarnished this cities image to its lowest point that I can ever remember. Now prior to this year, it was mostly confined to bad neighborhoods, but this is what happens when you don't curb it. Now that it has spread downtown, people are all of the sudden mad. Who did not see this coming when it continued building up????

The Chiraq reputation started to begin in 2010 and slowly solidified in around 2014 to the point where it became what Chicago is known for. This year and right now in particular, the city's image and reputation has hit rock bottom.
Cabrini-Green being torn down slowly led to the Chiraq rep being born. Yeah you still had violence(which was mainly confined there) but for the most part it wasn't random, and gangs tried to make sure innocents weren't harmed. After the projects got demolished it started to spread and peeps started forming their own gangs which wasn't nearly as organized as before.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:39 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Cabrini-Green being torn down slowly led to the Chiraq rep being born. Yeah you still had violence(which was mainly confined there) but for the most part it wasn't random, and gangs tried to make sure innocents weren't harmed. After the projects got demolished it started to spread and peeps started forming their own gangs which wasn't nearly as organized as before.

Yes, I heard something similar on a YouTube video. Even in the 90's many of Chicago's gangs were organized, and there was a chain of command, so there wasn't as much random violence. Now it is a lot of young teens and a lot of the beefs start on Twitter/Facebook and there's no organization. It's just chaotic beefs.

Neighborhoods like Little Village, Pilsen, and Humbolt Park that have a Latin King's presence; even though they are ruthless, they're still organized and you don't see random violence. Heck, they made national news the way they protected their neighborhoods during the looting and kept looters out.

Old 08-11-2020, 06:01 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
You can't blame any one thing. I'd argue that the C-G was a cancer that needed to be carved out and I think most would also. Let's not forget the West Loop either. Regardless, the only solution is to educate, provide guidance and reasonable assistance and, finally, to solidly enforce the laws of the land with little tolerance for BS. Too many of these thug perpetrators are operating with impunity and without any sort of consequence. I could see it in their faces on Sunday night. It's the type of brashness that only a greater fear of being retaliated against will remedy. Lightfoot and Foxx may not like it, but they had better get tough on crime and do it quickly. David Brown seems to get it, but I guess it remains to be seen what he can actually do. There just seems to be far too much red tape with all of this BLM nonsense. And, when you have organizers like Atkins openly and unabashedly attempting to justify violence and looting as some sort of "reparations," the gloves just need to come off. The first thing I would do is arrest and prosecute that POS for inciting a riot. I'd rather live with the reputation as a feared ass kicker than that of a kindly doormat. Unfortunately, they are all coming across as the latter.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:48 PM

334 posts, read 170,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Yeah, it's really too bad. I was in town for business and happened to be walking across the river on Michigan Avenue on Sunday night just before midnight. There was no doubt in my mind that something was about to pop off with all of the Divy bikes zipping around (almost unheard of that late on a Sunday) whose riders were openly taunting random people on the streets, including myself. How is/was Lightfoot and her administration this tone deaf to what was happening there? How has she, along with her administration, allowed the Chicago PD to become little more than a reactionary force? Make no mistake, this is exactly why many of these usual cowards feel emboldened to vandalize and steal from people who bear no responsibility for whatever their perceived plight is. They are criminals, plain and simple. They need to be treated as such. And, unfortunately, the only thing they understand is a show of force.
I like Cleveland, please do not get duped into electing any of these “progressive” politicians. Like Chicago, Cleveland is not a good place to play around with “progressive” social experiments.

Last edited by Castlebar; 08-11-2020 at 08:52 PM..

Old 08-11-2020, 10:27 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
You can't blame any one thing. I'd argue that the C-G was a cancer that needed to be carved out and I think most would also. Let's not forget the West Loop either. Regardless, the only solution is to educate, provide guidance and reasonable assistance and, finally, to solidly enforce the laws of the land with little tolerance for BS. Too many of these thug perpetrators are operating with impunity and without any sort of consequence. I could see it in their faces on Sunday night. It's the type of brashness that only a greater fear of being retaliated against will remedy. Lightfoot and Foxx may not like it, but they had better get tough on crime and do it quickly. David Brown seems to get it, but I guess it remains to be seen what he can actually do. There just seems to be far too much red tape with all of this BLM nonsense. And, when you have organizers like Atkins openly and unabashedly attempting to justify violence and looting as some sort of "reparations," the gloves just need to come off. The first thing I would do is arrest and prosecute that POS for inciting a riot. I'd rather live with the reputation as a feared ass kicker than that of a kindly doormat. Unfortunately, they are all coming across as the latter.
I knew a little about C-G but just refreshed my memory on Wiki - there were something like 3000 apartments in 23 towers that were built in 1942. The idea was to replace the fire-hazard, rickety slums that most poor people lived in at the time. I'm thinking that the original tenants were more than happy to live in modern buildings, especially being so close to downtown and the Gold Coast. It's the same concept of housing that the Soviet Union constructed for its citizens - fireproof, space and energy efficient, with modern amenities, including elevators. So what made these buildings such a bad place to live over the decades? My guess is it was maybe ten to twenty percent of the residents, who fought battles (wars, actually) over the proceeds of drug sales, and preyed on the much larger percentage of tenants who only wanted a warm place to sleep at night. My guess is that if those apartments were rehabbed and rented on the private market (no subsidies), they would have been a moneymaker for whoever bought them, and been a low-crime area of the city. But you can't have that, because it wouldn't have looked very good for those who blamed the buildings instead of the residents.

So when they were torn down, instead of having concentrated crime in a small area, you simply diffused it so now there is less-concentrated crime over a much wider area, since the root of the problem (drug addiction, and people willing to commit violence over drug sales) stayed constant, and likely grew in numbers. Not sure what the solution is, but I've got a pretty good handle on the problem - Government subsidization of a growing underclass of people in a country where the jobs they would have done sixty years ago have been outsourced or automated, and the Poverty Pimps who want to keep money flowing into that industry have a monopoly on the Message of Identity Politics. Good Luck with That.

Last edited by Curly Q. Bobalink; 08-11-2020 at 11:01 PM..

Old 08-12-2020, 09:28 AM

BLM gets their azzes kicked out of Englewood by the locals...lol.

Finally some common sense in Chicago.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:38 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlebar View Post

Oh? what happened?

Old 08-12-2020, 11:23 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
Quote:
I like Cleveland, please do not get duped into electing any of these “progressive” politicians. Like Chicago, Cleveland is not a good place to play around with “progressive” social experiments.
We're on the fence, but I think the riots in May/June were a wake up call. The majority of people are now plenty pissed after seeing places they liked and enjoyed being destroyed and looted for no reason.

Quote:

This was quite refreshing to see. I've said the same thing to all of my friends of color -- If you want to separate yourselves from this violent hate group, your voices will speak the loudest by far. Stand up to them and your white friends will have your back. But, it's only something you can do because our opinions are not permitted to matter.

Old 08-12-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Oh? what happened?
BLM “activists” tried to stage a rally-protest and the locals booted them out calling them hypocrites etc...guess BLM just showed up thinking “the people” would show up, opposite happened.

“Ifyou ain’t from Englewood, get the F out”...”don’t show up when a kid is shot, only when it’s about the F-ing police”...that type of truth.

Wonder if any of the “woke white” useful idiots dared to show up down there?

Last edited by Castlebar; 08-12-2020 at 01:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago