Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 10:10 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigal777 View Post
I said you cannot legislate prosperity. Prosperity has to come from each individual person. Look at the statistics, even people who win the lottery become bankrupt within 6 years. You cannot legislate to have people be fiscally responsible. You cannot force people to not commit crime.

"Culture"- not having parents at home because parents are either drug users, gang bangers, or just simply don't care. The streets are raising the kids, which means that will be another generation of violence. It ALL begins at home. Single family households in those neighborhoods is a problem. Kids having kids and being able to afford them. Rap or hip hop- violent lyrics. If you talk to most of the kids from the hood, I would bet that very few say they want to be a doctor, lawyer, engineer. I bet most want to be a football or basketball player and a rapper. Those the their role models. You point to Dr. Ben Carson, Dr. Carol Swain, Thomas Sowell- they will 1. most likely not know who they are or 2. call them Uncle Tom. If a successful black person speaks fluent English, they are ousted and called traitors to their race. It has to start with the change of the culture in their neighborhood. Like I said if they all did these 3 things, they would escape violence and poverty: 1. finish school (any school, college or trade school), learn a trade 2. Don't commit crime. 3. Don't have kids out of wedlock. Those 3 things almost guarantee success in life. And I don't mean it guarantees they will become millionaire but make a decent living or better.
Great point. I have always mentioned that this is a problem. And even some of the kids in these neighborhoods who are very good kids (well-behaved, no problems) and their parents (who are good parents), also fall into the trap of thinking that sports/entertainment is their only way out. So instead of focusing on schools and grades, they focus most of their free time on playing basketball and football. This is not a bad thing on the surface, but the fact that less than 1% of high school athletes will make it professional, it is very low odds.

The vast majority will not even get a college scholarship, and because many of them focused so much on sports, they are not well prepared for college. Many will not go to college or not go to a good college, so even the good kids will not ascend generationally into better jobs. Whereas if they focused more on school, these kids could be doctors, lawyers, engineers, CPAs, etc. and change their trajectory.

This is an issue with even good kids and well-meaning parents in many of these neighborhoods. The thought that sports is the only way out.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:33 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlebar View Post
There is a Floyd Effect in Portland meaning even there shootings and homicides have skyrocketed; July in Portland was quite deadly for that city, the worst since the ‘90s.

The Floyd Effect is not these bored white Portland a-holes playing revolution but the now happening grim and quite deadly collateral fallout known as Black Lives.

The Floyd Effect is the 10,000+ (who knows what the toll will be) black lives lost nationally with this naive, dangerous, and reckless war on police disguised as “protest” by woke white useful idiots conned into this racial division game...with a huge dose of white guilt payouts.
I see what you're saying about a Floyd Effect. It's sliming into a whole lot of other areas.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:47 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Interesting profile of Lightfoot before she became mayor:

https://news.wttw.com/2019/05/20/pro...lori-lightfoot

Old 08-05-2020, 10:52 AM

88 posts, read 79,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigal777 View Post
I said you cannot legislate prosperity. Prosperity has to come from each individual person. Look at the statistics, even people who win the lottery become bankrupt within 6 years. You cannot legislate to have people be fiscally responsible. You cannot force people to not commit crime.

"Culture"- not having parents at home because parents are either drug users, gang bangers, or just simply don't care. The streets are raising the kids, which means that will be another generation of violence. It ALL begins at home. Single family households in those neighborhoods is a problem. Kids having kids and being able to afford them. Rap or hip hop- violent lyrics. If you talk to most of the kids from the hood, I would bet that very few say they want to be a doctor, lawyer, engineer. I bet most want to be a football or basketball player and a rapper. Those the their role models. You point to Dr. Ben Carson, Dr. Carol Swain, Thomas Sowell- they will 1. most likely not know who they are or 2. call them Uncle Tom. If a successful black person speaks fluent English, they are ousted and called traitors to their race. It has to start with the change of the culture in their neighborhood. Like I said if they all did these 3 things, they would escape violence and poverty: 1. finish school (any school, college or trade school), learn a trade 2. Don't commit crime. 3. Don't have kids out of wedlock. Those 3 things almost guarantee success in life. And I don't mean it guarantees they will become millionaire but make a decent living or better.
You bring out some excellent points! Most politicians would be scared to death and too PC to admit these points. And I believe the majority of posters on this thread agree with you. So that's good.

On the other hand, I started a thread that the Moderator moved to the Parenting Section. It's entitled something like "America and America's Parents have failed their children." It dealt with how too many parents have abdicated the raising of their children to minimum wage staff at daycare centers and that one of the parents should have a more hands-on role. The push-back is amazing! Probably 60-75% are offended by the observation and say that they're wonderful parents and everything is fine in society. One said I'm an old person waving my fist in the air. haha. It seems they are blind to the realities of what's happening to America or they've been smoking the ganja.

While we all have complaints as to the cause of the problem (many of which we agree upon) I would love to see some suggestion and SOLUTIONS to these problems. American society is going to sh%&. We're spinning our wheels! It won't repair overnight. In fact we're training a entire generation to stick it to morals, ethics, integrity and patriotism by doing nothing. Laying it at the feet of the politicians and claiming impotence is not a solution.

We together -- all of us --- are a force of sorts. But are we screaming into a vacuum? I'm guessing without any forceful messaging by someone with "presence" or prominence, we might just be a collection of Minions pi$%ing in the wind.

Old 08-05-2020, 11:27 AM

1,067 posts, read 916,122 times
Not safe. This just happened yesterday afternoon in Chicago in Gold Coast on Oak Street! Not surprised by the race but BLM right? Could you imagine what oak street would look like if a cop did this? Black culture needs to change NOW.

https://abc7chicago.com/fbg-duck-dea...-2020/6353835/

Old 08-05-2020, 11:41 AM

58 posts, read 38,549 times
Very interesting. You would think that coming from her background, she would be more fair and not blame everything on racism. You'd think that she'd be at the front of lecturing the values of having a family, the values of staying in school and not committing crime. Why isn't she? This just goes to show how the black family was destroyed by the democrat party who loves keeping them on welfare. She too came from a 2 family home- and her parents seemed like any normal parents who want the best for their kids. Why isn't she preaching that?

Also, she said she ran for mayor because Chicago lost its way. How does she feel now? Under her, Chicago has really lost its way. She seemed to excel at everything but at being a mayor. I think this is probably her first failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Interesting profile of Lightfoot before she became mayor:

https://news.wttw.com/2019/05/20/pro...lori-lightfoot

Old 08-05-2020, 11:59 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,612,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Not safe. This just happened yesterday afternoon in Chicago in Gold Coast on Oak Street! Not surprised by the race but BLM right? Could you imagine what oak street would look like if a cop did this? Black culture needs to change NOW.

https://abc7chicago.com/fbg-duck-dea...-2020/6353835/
How misinformed you are.

It is not a "culture" problem.
It is a poverty problem that may, sometimes, lead to an inner city "culture".
Maybe the white privileged race in this county should have thought this out further, that there would be repercussions from slavery until now, killing someone by kneeling on their neck. Yes, Tom Sawyer, there are consequences for your actions.

Indians on reservations.
Latino immigrants in NM or AZ or Chicago, or take your pick of city.
White kids in Appalachia too! Dealing drugs, overdosing and dying, underage pregnancies, abortions, B&E, grand theft, petty theft, you name it.
Has nothing to do with a "culture". Has everything to do with generational poverty, lack of resources, lack of education, and sometimes systemic racism keeping some people down. As for white Appalachia where there is no racism? Lack of education, lack of resources, generational poverty.
This stuff is not rocket science.
It's just that whites have historically kept other races (and whatever the latest immigrants are--going back to Italians and Irish and everyone else who had their turn that wasn't English revolutionists) down in the poverty jobs, subservient, often making just enough to pay the rent to the same landlord that was also their boss, sometimes coming out in the negative, owing their boss after paying rent.
There is so much to learn out there on the history of using and abusing people in this country in order to financially gain from their hard labor.
Not rocket science.
Not culture of BLM.

Old 08-05-2020, 12:04 PM

334 posts, read 170,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I see what you're saying about a Floyd Effect. It's sliming into a whole lot of other areas.
The Floyd Effect may get even much worse than I imagined when the Minneapolis cops go to trial given the media and video driven narrative “facts” while the legal facts haven’t been presented.

Not meaning to go OT here, but the initial and long-term fallout of a legal acquittal will be catastrophic for cities, especially Chicago. So far we’ve only seen the results of the mass media, social media, and mob public conviction. Look at the spreading collateral fallout from this in terms of not only property destruction but the mounting deadly toll on irreplaceable human lives, mainly black lives of course.

Don’t expect the police to step up at all and the CPD may not even protect Lighthead’s azz or her Logan Square home when the mobs return.

Last edited by Castlebar; 08-05-2020 at 12:34 PM..

Old 08-05-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlebar View Post
The Floyd Effect may get even much worse than I imagined when the Minneapolis cops go to trial given the media and video driven narrative “facts” while the legal facts haven’t been presented.

Not meaning to go OT here, but the initial and long-term fallout of a legal acquittal will be catastrophic for cities, especially Chicago. So far we’ve only seen the results of the mass media, social media, and mob public conviction. Look at the spreading collateral fallout from this in terms of not only property destruction but the mounting deadly toll on irreplaceable human lives, mainly black lives of course.

Don’t expect the police to step up at all and the CPD may not even protect Lighthead’s azz or her Logan Square home when the mobs return.
And the short-term fallout could be very bad if the officers are not convicted on serious charges. Chicago and all other major US cities may no longer be standing.

Old 08-05-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
How misinformed you are.

It is not a "culture" problem.
It is a poverty problem that may, sometimes, lead to an inner city "culture".
Maybe the white privileged race in this county should have thought this out further, that there would be repercussions from slavery until now, killing someone by kneeling on their neck. Yes, Tom Sawyer, there are consequences for your actions.

Indians on reservations.
Latino immigrants in NM or AZ or Chicago, or take your pick of city.
White kids in Appalachia too! Dealing drugs, overdosing and dying, underage pregnancies, abortions, B&E, grand theft, petty theft, you name it.
Has nothing to do with a "culture". Has everything to do with generational poverty, lack of resources, lack of education, and sometimes systemic racism keeping some people down. As for white Appalachia where there is no racism? Lack of education, lack of resources, generational poverty.
This stuff is not rocket science.
It's just that whites have historically kept other races (and whatever the latest immigrants are--going back to Italians and Irish and everyone else who had their turn that wasn't English revolutionists) down in the poverty jobs, subservient, often making just enough to pay the rent to the same landlord that was also their boss, sometimes coming out in the negative, owing their boss after paying rent.
There is so much to learn out there on the history of using and abusing people in this country in order to financially gain from their hard labor.
Not rocket science.
Not culture of BLM.
If it’s all about poverty, then why do the Black neighborhoods in Chicago have so much worse violent crime than the Hispanic neighborhoods when they both have similar poverty? One classic example is Lawndale. Same neighborhood, same poverty level. Yet North Lawndale (90% Black) is significantly more dangerous than South Lawndale (90% Latino). So it can’t be solely a poverty problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago