Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 12:56 PM

473 posts, read 760,475 times

Advertisements

I’m considering buying a condo one block from this intersection. What are your thoughts on this area? It borders a few neighborhoods, without really belonging to one, in my opinion. How walkable is it to restaurants and such? (I know it’s close to several stores.)

Last edited by LittleMartha; 08-02-2020 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: Adding more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 03:21 PM

1,260 posts, read 943,932 times
I think you are right when you say it borders several neighborhoods without really belonging to one. While it's a mix of Logan Square/Avondale and Lincoln Park (just across the river) the area is a little strange in regards to vibe. With that being said that's actually one of the selling points. Not the immediate area, but that you are close to so many great neighborhoods.

The vibrancy of that area is dominated by strip malls and cars. However, the selling point is the convenience of it. You have a lot of great retail within walking distance, movie theater, expressway. What that area lacks in charm and character it makes up for in convenience.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't like the area to live in. It feels too congested for my tastes and while you can walk to a lot, it feels very autocentric and has a strip mall vibe. I would prefer further up north by Belmont and Elston, or west by Kedzie/Kimball and Diversey. I mean if you are looking for great restaurants that are walking distance that area in general sucks, as its mostly chains. the intersection of Kimball/Diversey/Milwaukee for example has a lot more going on and a lot nicer restaurants and places to shop. Heck even the intersection of Roscoe and Elston is much better with restaurants as you have Honey Butter Fried Chicken, Cafe Tola, Parachute, Wherewithhall, and Chief O'Neils all within a couple blocks of each other.

I guess it all depends what you are looking for? Are you looking more for a place of convenience? Or are you looking to live somewhere that has more charm and character? It's definitely a walkable area, but doesn't mean that your walks will be pretty walks or give you that neighborhood vibe where you get in a bunch of other different parts of Avondale and Logan Square. Even the riverwalk in that area is a little depressing especially compared to the river walk just up north by Elston and Belmont.

Summary: Convenient area to live in, but lacking greatly in beauty, character, independent businesses and a neighborhood feel.

Old 08-02-2020, 04:37 PM

473 posts, read 760,475 times
Exactly! That is exactly why I’m no longer pursuing that property. I wish it were a few blocks north (bordering Avondale and Roscoe Village) or northeast (Roscoe Village). I didn’t feel like I could really walk to independent businesses and cool restaurants which was a bummer.

Last edited by LittleMartha; 08-02-2020 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 08-02-2020, 06:40 PM

84 posts, read 47,021 times
Give it another month, there will be no independent businesses left and it won't matter.

Old 08-06-2020, 08:43 PM

22 posts, read 22,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMartha View Post
I’m considering buying a condo one block from this intersection. What are your thoughts on this area? It borders a few neighborhoods, without really belonging to one, in my opinion. How walkable is it to restaurants and such? (I know it’s close to several stores.)
I frequented a gym right there for 6 years! Not much for wandering on foot right there aside from bowling, Target, Potbelly<3, and Panera, but Logan Square is only 1 mile away.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:50 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
As one poster said, probably best to wait on buying a condo right now. The chaos of 2020 needs to die down (including the election season), and hopefully after all the dust settles things will be more calm and stable. The news around treatments and vaccines for COVID look very promising, so on that front 2021 shouldn't be quite as bad and the economy should improve. Although the political discourse this fall could make the situation a little more tenuous.

It's a risk-reward thing. You could score big discounts buying a condo now, since condo prices and demand has plummeted due to COVID, and people desiring more space. Although, give how businesses shut down and violence has increased, you won't really know what the neighborhood will look like a year from now.

Old 08-24-2020, 11:56 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
I think you are right when you say it borders several neighborhoods without really belonging to one. While it's a mix of Logan Square/Avondale and Lincoln Park (just across the river) the area is a little strange in regards to vibe. With that being said that's actually one of the selling points. Not the immediate area, but that you are close to so many great neighborhoods.

The vibrancy of that area is dominated by strip malls and cars. However, the selling point is the convenience of it. You have a lot of great retail within walking distance, movie theater, expressway. What that area lacks in charm and character it makes up for in convenience.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't like the area to live in. It feels too congested for my tastes and while you can walk to a lot, it feels very autocentric and has a strip mall vibe. I would prefer further up north by Belmont and Elston, or west by Kedzie/Kimball and Diversey. I mean if you are looking for great restaurants that are walking distance that area in general sucks, as its mostly chains. the intersection of Kimball/Diversey/Milwaukee for example has a lot more going on and a lot nicer restaurants and places to shop. Heck even the intersection of Roscoe and Elston is much better with restaurants as you have Honey Butter Fried Chicken, Cafe Tola, Parachute, Wherewithhall, and Chief O'Neils all within a couple blocks of each other.

I guess it all depends what you are looking for? Are you looking more for a place of convenience? Or are you looking to live somewhere that has more charm and character? It's definitely a walkable area, but doesn't mean that your walks will be pretty walks or give you that neighborhood vibe where you get in a bunch of other different parts of Avondale and Logan Square. Even the riverwalk in that area is a little depressing especially compared to the river walk just up north by Elston and Belmont.

Summary: Convenient area to live in, but lacking greatly in beauty, character, independent businesses and a neighborhood feel.
Thank you for posting information about Honey Butter Fried Chicken! I had never known about this restaurant, but looking online, this will definitely be a place that I visit soon

Food looks amazing!

Old 08-24-2020, 02:30 PM

884 posts, read 622,450 times
Because I'm a lover of fried chicken, I have dined at Honey Butter Fried Chicken (3361 N. Elston Ave.).

Chicken is served with a tub of honey butter, which you spread atop your fried chicken, giving you a delicious chicken experience.

The sides are farm-to-table and are more than ample in size.

The bar features a number of craft cocktails and beers.

This is a unique dining experience in Chicago.

Old 08-25-2020, 07:40 AM

1,260 posts, read 943,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
Because I'm a lover of fried chicken, I have dined at Honey Butter Fried Chicken (3361 N. Elston Ave.).

Chicken is served with a tub of honey butter, which you spread atop your fried chicken, giving you a delicious chicken experience.

The sides are farm-to-table and are more than ample in size.

The bar features a number of craft cocktails and beers.

This is a unique dining experience in Chicago.
And their mac and cheese is by far one of the best in the city. I am not a big fan of fried chicken but I sure as hell get the mac and cheese every time I go.

Speaking of, might get some for lunch today.

OP if I were you I would maybe look around the area of Honey Butter Fried Chicken, which is the eastern part of Avondale.

Old 08-26-2020, 12:49 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
You'd be within easy walking distance from some reputable hospitality joints like Owen & Engine, Fat Willy's, Metropolitan Brewing, Maplewood Brewery & Distillery, a great Peruvian joint named Ceviche, the Cornerstone Cafe, and of course the famous Diversey River Bowl. And I'm pretty sure there's an Al's right at that six-way corner. There's also a Target, a movie theater, a high-end grocery store all within walking distance.

Whoever told you there's nothing but chains around there doesn't know the area very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago