Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 08:14 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Agreed 100%.

I have really been intrigued by all the white people who are protesting and rioting. now, i read somewhere that they are not all kids living in their parents basement, but they are professors and college students. (not all but a lot).

On the news today, they want to drop charges on those who were arrested out there.

and one idiot was saying because their voices ought to be heard.

Maybe protestors, but once they turn criminals, they deserve to be in jail.

It seems many protesters have a definition of crime that benefits themselves. Making it up as they go along and justifying it when caught. Where this comes from, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 08:36 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times
ebbe, good morning.

Somewhere RESPECT and RESPONSIBILITY are 2 great and important concepts that have been completely lost!

In some cases, it has been lost over generations of family values not keeping them in the forefront, and in some cases they are people who feel privileged.

And this comes in different shades of people!

Old 08-12-2020, 08:57 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times
Am 40 miles from the Loop, and we're desegregated; without any problems.
So I must ask, why can't major cities seem to get it together?.
Fear seems to be one accurate answer, being the foundation for racism; along with ignorance.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:06 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Seems like a lot of the black people want segregation.

Proven by - such things like - some college students wanted the campus to have a "safe space for blacks" which means no whites allowed, the thinking being that they need to express themselves without having the "danger" of having white people which would make the people feel uncomfortable.

the fact that some people believe that white people are "privileged" and therefore, there is a class war between people who believe this and those who reject it. (like me)

Some black people want segregation. they are actively protesting for it.

And sorry not sorry, but with the recent looting, rioting, etc (seems like more white people doing it ironically) but still it is for a "black" cause, then the image of ALL black people being riotous, lawless, and prejudice and criminal behavior, will reflect on the black community unfortunately, (some of the causes are the deaths of black people); so that in itself will cause a divide because some people will want to steer clear of any black person, because they will think they are a BLM and/or a rioter. Unfortunately, I am most sad about this, but human nature will do that.. for example, if your store was recently destroyed by the black criminals this past Sunday, and oh yes, they were mostly black for you could see their faces on tv, this will ultimately cause more division between people who would have otherwise welcomed black people.
You have to be careful with these generalizations. In my experience (which IMO is substantial), average people who live in these segregated areas have no issue with diversity (i.e. whites) moving in. In fact, they welcome it. It is the small activist groups who purport to speak for these lower income residents and more vocal members from a certain political party which dominates around here and do not live in the area who have an issue with it. Psychologically, the former group is usually dominated by angry bitter and often racist people looking for a target. For the latter group, there's kind of a parental/superiority element to it. That's as best as I can describe it. But you won't encounter that in your daily life in one of these areas.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:07 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times
Sunbiz1, do you feel comfortable sharing near where you live? I am trying to get an idea if it is an area I have included in my Illinois travels. If you do not feel comfortable sharing, I respect that.

Would you say your town has that 1/3 W , 1/3 B, 1/3 H percentage (with the small amount of Asian and Native) like Chicago the city is?

Theoretically, we all SHOULD be able to get together. I agree with you on that!

Old 08-12-2020, 09:52 AM

1,803 posts, read 935,479 times
One thing with what lead to and a key reason White-Flight was so widespread was not fear of someone black. It was fear that was warranted that your home property would automatically lose value and continue to do so if you were the last out of the neighborhood.

The powers that be that set home and values by neighborhood. They were BIGLY responsible for promoting segregation and paranoia that was on VALUES OF YOUR PROPERTY over just a Black family in the block.

Far suburbs will have less of this today especially today because thee home value is far less based on fear of a full onslaught of minorities if they especially are high priced homes where far less is feared of a drop in values.

But in 50s 60s even 70s ..... it was a real fear that fed wihte-flight as we new it. NOT merely bigotry and such. So common was the last one out of a block before you changing ethically that it feed on itself and already the next block the change would come had white people fear property value loss and this pattern of White-Flight fed on itself.

Gentrification where mostly professionals move in has less concern that minorities will lower values as many are already there and it only has to go upward. It hurts those displaced by rising values and rents unless selling their property brings a much higher profit then if gentrification never reached them.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:00 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
If it happened on a city-wide scale, then the murders would significantly drop, perhaps to numbers the city hasn't seen in over a hundred years. Also, the 77 community areas will each have the resources and amenities to accommodate its residents. Albany Park, Rogers Park, and Uptown are proof of this. Those communities aren't perfect and you will find pockets of poverty and gang activity in each one, but for them to be the worst of the most multicultural and integrated communities as far as violence is concerned, I take that over an Austin or even Humboldt Park.

I think wealth disparity will persist, and there will be pockets that cater to a specific demographic, as those exist in current largely integrated community. Little India/Pakistan is a multi block swath located in a community area( West Ridge) that is highly multicultural.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:25 AM

629 posts, read 543,458 times
almost all the tenants in mixed income properties hate it, its a completely failed experiment

the poor people feel alienated with nothing in common with their neighbors, and the wealthier people don't like it either (why should I pay X when they are paying Y) so a sense of resentment builds up

complete segregation is a fairy tale as most folks enjoy living with other people like them, whether that be economic, racial, cultural, etc. and is pretty much the natural order of things since the beginning of time and there is literally nothing wrong with it

Old 08-12-2020, 10:34 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Sunbiz1, do you feel comfortable sharing near where you live? I am trying to get an idea if it is an area I have included in my Illinois travels. If you do not feel comfortable sharing, I respect that.

Would you say your town has that 1/3 W , 1/3 B, 1/3 H percentage (with the small amount of Asian and Native) like Chicago the city is?

Theoretically, we all SHOULD be able to get together. I agree with you on that!

Remember the video on Elgin BBQ I posted less than 2 months ago?.
We're Latin American, White, AA, Asian, and have bike trails on the Fox river.
From an ethnic standpoint, our population is as diverse as Chicago.
Only unlike Chicago, we are all neighbors.
You should come visit, much tamer here than in the city.
And so should Lori Lightfoot, she could use the education.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:36 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
It seems many protesters have a definition of crime that benefits themselves. Making it up as they go along and justifying it when caught. Where this comes from, I don't know.

#1 rule - protestors and rioters do not have to socially distance, nor wear masks, nor have a limit on how many can gather, nor use hand sanitizer because covid knows not to infect them. so anyone in this group may DO WHATEVER THEY CHOOSE and the politicians running the cities/state where these people are must bow to their command.

#2 rule - covid only affects church-goers, businesses, gyms, visiting granny in the hospital before she dies and not being able to attend her funeral; birthday parties; graduations; and other important things that really affect us citizens. so anyone in this group MUST STAY HOLED UP.

rioters and looters can get away with murder and stealing if they justify it by declaring it is reparations that they are owed and that insurance will pay for it anyway.

BLM justifies their crimes and rioting by declaring they wont stop till black men are not shot anymore in the back.. no matter if the perp just committed a crime and/or just shot at the police officer first.

Crime is not crime when it is used "to feed their family" (with a 48 inch tv screen) and/or they don't have a job due to covid so they need money (but the nearby Mcdonalds is hiring); and when some gang banger's turf and/or ego was discounted "he disrespected me so i shot him"

such like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago