Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 10:50 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,825,655 times

Advertisements

The people who report on their neighbors for failing to social distance would also report on... that Jewish girl who wrote a diary.

Don't do it! Just don't. It's none of your business what your neighbors do. They have no connection to you other than sharing a building. It's wrong to ruin their lives just to feel good about yourself and pat yourself on the back. But if you must, tell them your name and contact info, so they can face their accuser, like the US legal system entitles them to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 08:35 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,147,798 times
It probably depends on the company that manages the building. The company I work for is pretty strict and want a safe environment for its employees. I'm pretty sure masks are required in all common areas. They don't want their on-site employees to get sick. They don't want more residents to get sick. More sick residents who don't yet know they're sick leads to a greater risk of on-site employees getting sick. More common areas like lounges, rec rooms, leasing offices, etc are more commonly visited by employees, but maintenance people visit all areas of a building - hallways, elevators, laundry rooms, etc.

If a building restricts certain dogs and one resident sees a restricted dog, should they "mind their own business" and herp a derp "the accused should be allowed to face their accuser"? Nope, probably not. I don't think that's how it works. You're a lessee of someone else's space. The property management company will probably tell the resident to either get rid of the dog or move out. Now obviously one thing may be in the lease prior to move-in and the COVID thing wasn't, but acting like wearing a mask in a common area is such a chore might be one of the more moronic complaints I've heard in the past several months.

Nobody's saying wear a mask while in your unit. That would be stupid. Can we all just apply some common sense and stop acting like giant babies when it comes to wearing a mask when you're visiting areas other people visit. When you leave your unit, make sure you're wearing underwear and a mask. It's....not that hard.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:37 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,147,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
The people who report on their neighbors for failing to social distance would also report on... that Jewish girl who wrote a diary.

Don't do it! Just don't. It's none of your business what your neighbors do. They have no connection to you other than sharing a building. It's wrong to ruin their lives just to feel good about yourself and pat yourself on the back. But if you must, tell them your name and contact info, so they can face their accuser, like the US legal system entitles them to.
What your neighbors do in their unit is none of your business, I would agree with that modification, unless they're cooking meth or something.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:45 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,577,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
What your neighbors do in their unit is none of your business, I would agree with that modification, unless they're cooking meth or something.
I have less of a problem with neighbors- it is easy enough to wait- than I did with staff/contractors coming in and out of the buildings at my old building. We had cleaning staff that would be in the entryway without masks and wouldn’t move out of the way when someone came in. Meanwhile, the sidewalks were under construction for about the last 3-4 months I was there, so it was a bit difficult to go all the way around to bring your groceries in and walk them up a hill on a dirt/mud path because some staff person can’t be thoughtful and put on a mask or at least move 6’+ away.

Old 08-18-2020, 05:05 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,411,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post

Please stop saying this, the confrontation clause only applies to criminal prosecutions. A visit from the board of health is not a criminal prosecution.

Regardless, it blows my mind you say I have no business over what my neighbors do. If that were the case, I would be able to open a business in my apartment like a brothel. But of course, that is not the case. If I were playing loud screams 24/7 to the point no one in the building could sleep, wouldn't you call the front desk to have the volume turned down? If a neighbor's acts are detrimental to the community at whole, those acts can be regulated. End of story.

Further, how is being told to wear a mask ruining lives? Unless you have serious respiratory issues which prevent you from breathing with a mask on (in which case, you probably should be concerned about COVID!), you sound entitled and out of touch.

Last edited by TitanRam; 08-18-2020 at 05:18 PM..

Old 08-18-2020, 05:19 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,411,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
It probably depends on the company that manages the building. The company I work for is pretty strict and want a safe environment for its employees. I'm pretty sure masks are required in all common areas. They don't want their on-site employees to get sick. They don't want more residents to get sick. More sick residents who don't yet know they're sick leads to a greater risk of on-site employees getting sick. More common areas like lounges, rec rooms, leasing offices, etc are more commonly visited by employees, but maintenance people visit all areas of a building - hallways, elevators, laundry rooms, etc.

If a building restricts certain dogs and one resident sees a restricted dog, should they "mind their own business" and herp a derp "the accused should be allowed to face their accuser"? Nope, probably not. I don't think that's how it works. You're a lessee of someone else's space. The property management company will probably tell the resident to either get rid of the dog or move out. Now obviously one thing may be in the lease prior to move-in and the COVID thing wasn't, but acting like wearing a mask in a common area is such a chore might be one of the more moronic complaints I've heard in the past several months.

Nobody's saying wear a mask while in your unit. That would be stupid. Can we all just apply some common sense and stop acting like giant babies when it comes to wearing a mask when you're visiting areas other people visit. When you leave your unit, make sure you're wearing underwear and a mask. It's....not that hard.
This! Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: