U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 10:40 AM

3 posts, read 551 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have some questions regarding my new vehicle and this is my first vehicle. So, I try to figure it out and get it right and also avoid the tickets. I just purchased it from a dealership in Indiana and they gave me the Indiana temp. plate. I'm now waiting on receiving an Illinois license plate. I'm not sure on how I could purchase a City sticker with this out-state license plate. Or do I have to wait until I receive the Illinois license plate and then purchase the sticker?

Thank you in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 12:55 PM

5,727 posts, read 2,713,491 times
I believe there's some period of leniency, but you would need to check on exactly how long that is. So you'd likely be able to wait a while. For people moving from out of state, there is a leniency period before they need all of the Illinois licence stuff.

Old 09-16-2020, 05:04 PM

3 posts, read 551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I believe there's some period of leniency, but you would need to check on exactly how long that is. So you'd likely be able to wait a while. For people moving from out of state, there is a leniency period before they need all of the Illinois licence stuff.

Thank you for sharing this with me. I will do some more research. I was worried about it since I live in Chicago, I'm a Chicago resident but purchasing this vehicle in Indiana. Some people told me to not worry about it until I receive Illinois license plate. Again, thank you

Old 09-17-2020, 06:45 PM

2,472 posts, read 1,564,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaroquin03 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have some questions regarding my new vehicle and this is my first vehicle. So, I try to figure it out and get it right and also avoid the tickets. I just purchased it from a dealership in Indiana and they gave me the Indiana temp. plate. I'm now waiting on receiving an Illinois license plate. I'm not sure on how I could purchase a City sticker with this out-state license plate. Or do I have to wait until I receive the Illinois license plate and then purchase the sticker?

Thank you in advance.
If you are parking in a permit area, you will need the day permits that can be purchased at your Alderman's office.

Old 09-18-2020, 09:25 AM

3 posts, read 551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
If you are parking in a permit area, you will need the day permits that can be purchased at your Alderman's office.

Thank you for sharing this info with me. No, it isn't a permit area.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:13 PM

728 posts, read 561,362 times
Wait until you get your permanent Illinois tags. There is a standard 30-day grace period on getting your city sticker.

https://www.chicityclerk.com/sticker

Likely you won't have any issue with getting a ticket for lack-of-city-sticker so long as your permanent tags are dated within 30 days. But if you leave it longer than that, they will back date your city sticker.

For example, say you bought the car on 9/17/2020 so your permanent tags will have a date of 9/2020 (no specific day of the month). Parking enforcement would not issue a citation for lack-of-city-sticker until 30 days after that (i.e., after 10/31/2020) so you have a month and a half before you have to worry about citations.

But when you buy your city sticker they will require proof of purchase date and they will issue it for 11 months after that. So the sticker will be dated 10/17/2020 even if you don't buy it until 10/31/2020.

Last edited by MarianRavenwood; 09-20-2020 at 09:23 PM..

Old 09-21-2020, 06:15 PM

881 posts, read 486,690 times
I am having the exact same issue. I bought a new car out of state and have been parking it on the street as I wait for my new plates. From everything I've read you need to wait for your permanent plates to arrive before you get your parking sticker. Plates take 2-4 weeks to arrive but I'm almost at 4 weeks and still no plates. There is a 30 day grace period on the city sticker:

https://www.chicityclerk.com/sticker

Do not park in a number zone though. I left a note on the dash asking not to ticket but I got 3 tickets over the course of the past month....but all of them relate to not having a city sticker for my zone....not for not having a city sticker. It's frustrating though because I can't get the city sticker without permanent plates so I can't get the zone. I realize you can get those daily passes but c'mon...just allow 30 days for people to get situated. I'm going to contest all of them and hopefully they get waived.

Curious...did you pay the whole tax, title, license and doc fee out of state? My invoice only says tax and doc fee so I'm hoping the pates and title still come in the mail. Not sure if I need to go pay those as well to get registered...I just assumed all dealers did that for you.

Last edited by dtcbnd03; 09-21-2020 at 06:24 PM..

Old 09-21-2020, 06:55 PM

728 posts, read 561,362 times
Quote:
Plates take 2-4 weeks to arrive but I'm almost at 4 weeks and still no plates.
Where did you hear this from?? I've bought cars from out of state dealers many times and it never took more than a week to get the plates. If your dealer is telling you it will take a month to get them, it seems like they are feeding you a line.

Although I lived close enough to the dealer that I drove back, and they put the permanent plates on the car. They didn't mail them to me. Not sure I'd trust the post office at this particular moment in time, for something time-sensitive like this.

Old 09-21-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
Where did you hear this from?? I've bought cars from out of state dealers many times and it never took more than a week to get the plates. If your dealer is telling you it will take a month to get them, it seems like they are feeding you a line.

Although I lived close enough to the dealer that I drove back, and they put the permanent plates on the car. They didn't mail them to me. Not sure I'd trust the post office at this particular moment in time, for something time-sensitive like this.
Just a google search told me this. I bought my car in Arkansas and drove it back so I'm not heading back there for any plates. I called the dealer and they said the state would mail it to me so I'm waiting.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:48 PM

Ok I have all the info after just going to City Hall getting a city parking sticker.

I bought my car in Arkansas. The dealership gave me a temporary license plate registered in Arkansas. However, the dealer is registering the car and my permanent plates in Illinois which will be mailed to me via FedEx. This process takes approx 4 weeks. The permanent Illinois plates will have the plate sticker attached to it when it arrives which is good for 1 year so you don't need to worry about that part (the guy at City Hall told me this).

As for a city parking sticker, you have a 1 month grace period from your date of purchase. You can wait until you get your permanent plates in that 1 month period or simply go and get a sticker with your temporary plates (which is what I recommend so you don't get tickets). All the city cares about is that the VIN on the sticker matches the VIN on your car. The license plate number is the last thing they care about so don't worry about using your temp plate to get the sticker. Once you do get your permanent plates, you can stop back in to have the license plate number switched over (for free) or simply update it next year when you renew your sticker. Here is the documentation you need to take into City Hall to get the parking sticker:

- Bill of Sale document
- Photo ID
- If your current address is different than on your photo ID then bring a copy of a utility bill or your lease
- Documentation showing the temporary plate number is registered to your name (call your dealer to send you this via email if you don't have it in your paperwork. It's a simple email attachment. They provide the same attachment to police if something bad happens with that plate number).

That's it! Took me about 5 minutes to get the new parking sticker after I tracked down the temp plate documentation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: