Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2020, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,074 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Elmwood Park for 8 years now as a Homeowner. I have read the threads on here about E.PK. I lived on the edge of town near Belmont. The only complaint I have is that 80th Avenue is like a Racetrack. I live right by 80th. Some days are really bad and police are dispatched. The police cannot be everywhere for sure. But, I am more disappointed in the Leadership of E. Pk. 80th Avenue seems to be ignored by the village for some reason.

The Police are awesome-no issues here. In fact, if you call the police or ambulance, the brigade is dispatched immediately. They are friendly and professional officers and I appreciate them--great people! Thanks Elmwood Park P.D!!

I think the Village officials need to put speed cameras or islands in the middle of the busy intersections to slow traffic. 80th Avenue can also be loud and busy, but thats the nature of the beast I guess. My thing is slowing down traffic, especially since 2 people were killed on 80th Avenue a few years ago, by my home. A stop sign was put up, with more police presence (which I appreciate) but Im hoping for a longterm solution.

And yes, the neighborhood demographics have changed to alot of Hispanic/Latinos-Most respectful and keep up their homes. Yes, I am italian-not an old guy either. Just a concerned homeowner. I do have some awesome Hispanic/Latino neighbors. I dont have an issue with them, just the individuals that move in with multiple families, junk cars-see a few, not many though, more garbage on the streets this year, and those that dont care for their homes, along with those who speed down my block blaring their music. I dont appreciate that, no matter what race.

I have seen some positive changes, like homes being gutted and added onto, which sell for over $500k. I know the taxes may increase but so will the homes values and keep undesirables out. The village also has a really nice downtown area-The Circle. Overall, it has changed which I am surprised but its still a decent town will a low crime rate I would say. I have walked down the block and alleys at 2-3-4am and never been bothered. So, all in all I would rate E.PK 3.75/5 stars. Would appreciate any comments. Have a great day everyone!

Sincerely,,
Joey-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 09:49 AM

68 posts, read 53,765 times
I like Elmwood Park. Generally nice and quiet. Agostino is also one of the best Italian places in Chicagoland.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:11 PM

4,655 posts, read 3,264,125 times
I occasionally drive by. On Labor Day a friend and I rode our bikes along the Elmwood Park side of Harlem Avenue. We wanted to eat at bar Tucci. It looked very nice inside. Then we remembered it was Labor Day, so most things were closed, obviously!

The only place I've been to in Elmwood Park is Armand's, on North Avenue.

It looks like a nice place to me. I hope you enjoy it!

As a part of Chicago, it has a certain history with a particular faction of a Chicago "organization." I think you know what I'm talking about...

Old 10-14-2020, 01:42 PM

68 posts, read 53,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post

As a part of Chicago, it has a certain history with a particular faction of a Chicago "organization." I think you know what I'm talking about...
Yep, and as far as they've fallen, I'm sure they're a reason why it's still a relatively quiet place...

Old 10-14-2020, 02:23 PM

Manson Lamps, good day.

Depending on who you ask it was "better" for some residents when they held more power. My understanding is, there is still an active crew in Elmwood Park, but the overall organization does not hold the power it did.

When it DID hold that power, no resident nor outsiders would have done any kind of burglaries or shootings in the vicinity. I do recall seeing a daytime video of a shooting in an Elmwood Park gas station involving some Hispanics (maybe within the last couple of years?). And I do not know how often this happens in that area, typically.

But I DO believe, under the organization, those behaviors would NOT have happened...

That said, the organization, themselves, would have had more incidences of extortion in the area, etc.

So pick your poison, for lack of a better phrase.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:19 AM

249 posts, read 237,162 times
I’ve lived at the south end of Elmwood Park for about 5 years, and it’s really quiet on my block. We are close to “restaurant row” along north ave and have been walking the fine line of “supporting local businesses” & getting carry out too frequently. There’s just so many good choices of cuisine! I was considering many near by communities but found the perfect cute house for a great value, and we’re staying put!

Old 10-15-2020, 10:23 AM

OPRFmama, this morning I was talking about the impact on restaurants and stores due to COVID. Thank you, for supporting your local restaurants!

And you have a nice area to then go for a walk and work off all those calories!

Sounds like a WIN-WIN, to me!!

Have a great day!

Old 10-15-2020, 01:24 PM

886 posts, read 625,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manson Lamps View Post
I like Elmwood Park. Generally nice and quiet. Agostino is also one of the best Italian places in Chicagoland.

I will second this recommendation. Eating at Ristorante Agostino is like having food prepared by your grandmother. I have dined here a number of times. This restaurant is the 'go to' place for my Italian/Sicilian family members who reside near the Harlem Ave strip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago