Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,852 times

Advertisements

We’ve been looking at homes in the Chicago and found one we are interested in renegotiating the offer. We’ve found out that the owner has done work himself (he’s a general contractor) with out permits but has hired licensed tradesmen for electrical and plumbing. He’s Completed the following: removed walls to open the kitchen and dining room, updated appliances and gas fireplace, Updated bathrooms, built small deck, relocated basement stairs, added an interior drain tile, sump pump, back flow preventer.

So, the question is it possible to ask the seller to apply for a retroactive permit to get all this inspected? We’re stuck in the middle of negotiations bc we don’t want to purchase the home and then have the dept of building fine us for violations that we did not create. Especially the drain tile and sump pump

Any advice is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 08:59 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,181,329 times
My state allows the owner to do work for themselves. You can even build new and sell speculatively. If you offer to sell building services then you need accept scrutiny. You can ask the seller for anything. But if seller did not need a permit than neither to do you. Don't trust the work? get an inspection.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,852 times
I think that’s my issue. Figuring out what needs a permit and what doesn’t. According to DOB website some work does require a permit. Our home inspection reported no issues or concerns. But, if we move forward, as new owners we would be responsible for any violations that the city of Chicago building inspector finds. And this is what we are trying to avoid.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:30 PM

85 posts, read 93,888 times
How and why would the City of Chicago cite the home for any violations? I would think the only possible worry might be if you do future work on the home and have the contractor get a permit. It is possible that your contractor might find some things from the previous work that are not up to code. Note, this is true with any home you buy (permits or not). I can guaranty that a *lot* of home have minor code violations behind all that drywall, tile, and wood flooring.

All lot of minor electrical code violations. Illinois requires conduit for example, but it is sometimes a lot easier to use romex or long lengths of armored cable instead of opening up an entire wall or ceiling. Converting a single fixture kitchen light to multiple can lighting comes to mind.

If the home passes inspection, you should be good. You can ask the inspector his or her opinion on the overall quality of the work, this will tell a lot. My hunch is this guy probably does better work than a lot of contractors.

Old 09-20-2020, 12:09 AM

3,204 posts, read 3,467,617 times
This is an issue for your personal home buyers inspection. 'Retroactive permits' are not a real thing. I don't know why you'd want to pay for permits and go through the hassle instead of having your own inspector look it over.

Old 09-20-2020, 12:10 AM

14,802 posts, read 17,553,974 times
The city permitting process is a nightmare, which is a shame. I've done it and it isn't worth it. The same quality l work could be done without a single city inspector. Good architects and good GCs are what matters.

Old 09-20-2020, 12:58 PM

1,067 posts, read 896,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
The city permitting process is a nightmare, which is a shame. I've done it and it isn't worth it. The same quality l work could be done without a single city inspector. Good architects and good GCs are what matters.
This ^^^^. Get a good inspection and don't worry about permits. Inviting the city into your home is a nightmare. They will never knock on your door looking for stuff like drain tile and sump pump permits. Think of how many illegal "in law" units there are in Chicago.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:08 PM

1,184 posts, read 1,138,963 times
They should have gotten a permit for removing walls and building the deck (if it is more than 50 sf). The sump pump and drain tile are technically sewer permits not building permits. You do not need a permit to upgrade appliances. You do not need a permit for one-for-one replacement of plumbing fixtures or for cosmetic upgrades like new floor tile and vanity cabinets. You do not need a permit to change out a light fixture.

There's no such thing as a 'retroactive permit' but you can just apply for a regular building permit and explain the situation on the form. You wouldn't be the only one doing so....it's the same process that happens when someone gets a stop-work order (when they get caught building without a permit and have to get legal in order to continue). But you also wouldn't be the only one to just ignore it and buy the place and move on in ignorant bliss. Happens all the time, especially in residential work.

Don't take the seller's word for it that he used licensed tradesmen or that they did work up to snuff, though. Get it inspected-not just the basic inspection but get an extra structural inspection for the wall removal and deck.

Old 09-24-2020, 04:13 PM

8,438 posts, read 12,116,280 times
I went to a closing where it was discovered that the renovater had done major work (and converted a two flat to one family) without permits. The proceeding ended right there. The city wants a description of all work done (particularly moving walls) and pictures.

If permits are not pulled, the owner haw to open up the walls and take some pictures.

Needless to say, my partner and I were very disappointed when we arrived at the closing and found that it could not go forward. I would advise you to demand permits from the seller or you are holding yourself out to some wild liability.

Old 09-25-2020, 11:16 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,182,048 times
You're supposed to get permits if you have certain work done. No retroactive permits are done. There are consulting firms that navigate the complex city permitting system but they're expensive.

If the city EVER finds out you have unpermitted work, you will be royally screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: