Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 08:15 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,429,427 times

Advertisements

Hello Chicagoans,

DH and I have an opportunity to move to your glorious city (which we love) within a year. We are feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the different neighborhoods that the city has to offer, and hoping for some advice.

We're an active childfree couple in our late 30s-early 40s. We're hoping to settle in a very safe area with easy access to organic grocery stores (like Whole Foods), a nice gym for the mister, barre classes for myself, restaurants, shopping, museums and symphony, comedy clubs, live music venues, public transit and such. Currently we're looking at anywhere in the Lakeview and River North perimeter. Budgeting around 1800$ for a one bedroom with some flexibility.

Which specific neighborhoods would you recommend? Please help us get out of the analysis paralysis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 09:50 AM

9,886 posts, read 9,502,464 times
Hi - well, you could try Old Town, which is northside, zip code 60610. That has some trendy places and stores. There is one store called The Spice House, (check it out online). i went there and the fresh scent of spices was beautiful. Old Town has one or two comedy clubs.

also, zip code 60611 and 60610 (near north side/Streeterville, Oak Street) has those places.

The area called Fulton Market area (60607) is cool and has trendy places which includes Greek Town nearby, Restaurant Row on 800 W Randolph area, also zip code 60607.

You can always live in one area and take a cab. As for barre classes, i do not know but all these places I mention would probably have some.

For museums - thats by the lake front downtown, again, you can take a bus or cab easily.

You could try 60614 which is DePaul area.

I list the zip codes because you can search apartment websites like Apartments.com or Zillow etc. Also Google map these zip codes and do a search for restaurants, museums, comedy clubs, etc.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:02 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,152,958 times
-Lakeview, assuming you're more than a half mile away from Wrigley Field at least. For your age, dealing with that 81 days a year would probably be exhausting.
-Lincoln Park
-Old Town
-West Loop

Old 03-26-2021, 11:50 AM

245 posts, read 300,952 times
Default Buena Park is a well kept secret. Walk to Wrigley

Field (about a mile) walk to the lakefront (about a mile) and nice old apartments.

A good place to start your walking adventure is by the beautiful Catholic church at Buena and Sheridan Rd. I would begin by heading east to Lincoln Park and Lake Michigan. This would be a good bike trip too aif you like biking on the busy streets.
When you get to the park (under the viaduct) you might head south and really see our great city from the park.

Old 03-26-2021, 01:15 PM

36,933 posts, read 38,909,166 times
If you're open to further away from the lake, then Logan Square, maybe? There's the Dill Pickle Food Co-op, Pure Barre, the Blue Line, and lots of restaurants, shopping, and live music in the area.

Old 03-26-2021, 01:55 PM

Fantastic recommendations! Thanks everyone.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:51 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,787,276 times
I would personally select NE Lincoln Park (in the Park West area), just south of Diversey. You have the beautiful park with all the paths, trails, greenery, and the lake right next to you. You have all the amenities and restaurants and shops in Lincoln Park near you, but you are also across the street from where Lakeview begins.

In that area you will have access to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Mariano's (equivalent of Wegman's) and plenty of other stores and restaurants. Plenty of bars, restaurants, shops, etc. in this area.

In Pre-Covid times, the Whole Foods in Lincoln Park had a nice Friday Happy Hour after work. You could get wine samples, and they had cheese and appetizers. Lots of young professionals packed it. Sadly, that won't likely be back anytime soon.

Old 03-26-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I would personally select NE Lincoln Park (in the Park West area), just south of Diversey. You have the beautiful park with all the paths, trails, greenery, and the lake right next to you. You have all the amenities and restaurants and shops in Lincoln Park near you, but you are also across the street from where Lakeview begins.

In that area you will have access to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Mariano's (equivalent of Wegman's) and plenty of other stores and restaurants. Plenty of bars, restaurants, shops, etc. in this area.

In Pre-Covid times, the Whole Foods in Lincoln Park had a nice Friday Happy Hour after work. You could get wine samples, and they had cheese and appetizers. Lots of young professionals packed it. Sadly, that won't likely be back anytime soon.
That's one of many reasons we are looking forward to Chicago. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery of that lively vibe.

Old 03-26-2021, 07:28 PM

504 posts, read 489,462 times
Reading this thread made me realize how many great neighborhoods we have in Chicago. OP - you could live in any of these and be happy

Old 03-29-2021, 11:02 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,666,338 times
63rd and Pulaski.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: