Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 05:36 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Just drove by the one here in Elgin, poor people are lined up outside 300 yards from the building; what a nightmare.
Yes, it's been that bad, and worse, at the ones we tried (if they were open at all).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 06:18 AM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
Yes, it's been that bad, and worse, at the ones we tried (if they were open at all).

What will they do when the first polar vortex pays us a visit?.
Forcing people outside for long periods will create legal liability.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:41 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Just drove by the one here in Elgin, poor people are lined up outside 300 yards from the building; what a nightmare.
Speaking of, why has the Illinois Secretary of States' Office $ucked going back at least the 1980's?.
Always understaffed, always slow, run like a public defenders office etc etc.
The IL SoS apparently has very high satisfaction rates as far as DMVs go, according to their own surveys. The politician, Jesse White, routinely ranks as the most popular statewide elected official. He has won over 60% of the vote in each of his re-elections—nearly 70% in 2010—a good year for Republicans in Illinois and nationally.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
The IL SoS apparently has very high satisfaction rates as far as DMVs go, according to their own surveys. The politician, Jesse White, routinely ranks as the most popular statewide elected official. He has won over 60% of the vote in each of his re-elections—nearly 70% in 2010—a good year for Republicans in Illinois and nationally.

Their own surveys?.
In his little-known role as the state's librarian, Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White maintains government archives, administers grants to local libraries, oversees literacy programs — and launders money to pay for House Speaker Michael Madigan's pet projects.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/opini...721-story.html

Old 10-09-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
What will they do when the first polar vortex pays us a visit?.
Forcing people outside for long periods will create legal liability.
It wasn't safe in the extreme heat, either. (Oh, and did I mention/emphasize, there is nowhere to go to the bathroom?)

I did write to our (local state) reps about it and they replied that they are working on it with the SoS. I know that some states have gone with a system by which you can make an appointment online. Your appointment might be months in the future, but it's still way better than this.

Old 10-09-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
It wasn't safe in the extreme heat, either. (Oh, and did I mention/emphasize, there is nowhere to go to the bathroom?)

I did write to our (local state) reps about it and they replied that they are working on it with the SoS. I know that some states have gone with a system by which you can make an appointment online. Your appointment might be months in the future, but it's still way better than this.

Written tests for first timers and renewals can be done online, a vision test at Walgreens.
That would cut down on some traffic.

And a few outhouses in the meantime...

Old 10-09-2020, 11:43 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Their own surveys?.
In his little-known role as the state's librarian, Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White maintains government archives, administers grants to local libraries, oversees literacy programs — and launders money to pay for House Speaker Michael Madigan's pet projects.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/opini...721-story.html
I've never voted for White and have had some bad experiences with the SoS. But, most people in Illinois seem to be satisfied with the department and very happy with Jesse White. His electoral strength is insane. He won almost 70% of the vote in 2010. No one else has that much crossover appeal.

Old 10-09-2020, 04:00 PM

255 posts, read 133,384 times
Went to the Deerfield location today and got it done. Took 2 1/2hrs. Long lines and wait. It was brutal. I don’t understand why they can’t just make an appointment during Covid. Vision test waived due to Covid.

Old 10-09-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDavid View Post
Went to the Deerfield location today and got it done. Took 2 1/2hrs. Long lines and wait. It was brutal. I don’t understand why they can’t just make an appointment during Covid. Vision test waived due to Covid.
Good for you for getting it done! No mean feat, I know.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:24 AM

796 posts, read 929,925 times
I find it totally UNACCEPTABLE that they got people waiting in lines down the street outside in the elements to renew a license which ends up being an all day event. no real business would be allowed to pull this kinda nonsense if they an actual real for-profit business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago