Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 06:52 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times

Advertisements

Finding a 2 BR apartment in Lincoln Park will be tough under $1,800.

Given what you are saying, you might want to look into renting a floor of a 2-flat or 3-flat. That way you could live in a house, but you'll have an upstairs or downstairs neighbor. This is my arrangement, and it's great. You'd have access to a yard, perhaps have a porch, and live on a residential street but still be in an urban setting. You might be able to find one of these for $1,800 - it'll likely just have 1 bathroom though (but 2/3 BR).

These are pretty prevalent in places like Lakeview, North Center, and others. L access will be key - I'd stay within 1/2 mile of a stop on the Brown Line. The Brown Line is the safest line in Chicago, though it's slower than the Blue. The Blue, though, has seen overcrowding (pre-covid) due to all the new buildings popping up along it in Wicker Park/Logan Square. The Red Line is usually fine, but I'd say it's definitely got more crime on it - most bad stories I hear are on the Red.

Take a look at the Ravenswood neighborhood. Access to the Brown Line (Montrose stop) and to the Metra, which has an express train that takes 15 minutes to the Loop. Ravenswood is tougher to get into, as a lot of people love it when they get there - less turnover. Has a treelined, warehousey type feel to it.

Old Town might be another option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 11:20 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
I honestly don't understand why you want a firearm for moving to a densely populated urban area if you don't have one living in a place like Missouri.

Literally no one I know who doesn't work in law enforcement carries a weapon, and it will cause you social problems if you carry one unless you have a very specific, very real *need* to carry one - and "because cities are dangerous" is not a need. Chicagoans are friendly and welcoming, but the majority of people here do not believe that individuals carrying guns helps anything. Regardless of whether or not you believe that, you will encounter people - especially if you live in the more popular parts of the actual city - who will refuse to socialize with someone outside of law enforcement who insists on carrying a weapon. In addition, many, many of both public and private places do not allow private citizens to possess weapons in their locations and having a license, and being completely legal about it will not change the fact that if they discover you with a weapon on their property they will kick you out and, in all probability, give you formal notice that you are banned and that future visits will be treated as tresspassing. You can disagree all you want with that politically, but that is the reality of living in a deep blue city. I suggest you rethink carrying a weapon, and if not being able to carry is a deal-breaker, well, I suggest you live elsewhere.

Old 10-18-2020, 08:52 AM

7 posts, read 6,181 times
Kmanshouse, thank you for the heads up on housing, that's a fantastic tip!

Emathias, I don't plan on conceal and carry if that's what you're talking about. I'm mostly interested in owning a firearm to keep at home, not when I'm out and about. If I'm out in the city, the most I'd carry is a knife and pepper spray. The people of Chicago are very friendly I noticed my last visit and I didn't expect anything other than such. I can understand people being timid about someone walking around with a firearm, but in your own experience do the people you know have the same attitude regarding firearms at home?

Old 10-24-2020, 11:01 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Take a look at the Ravenswood neighborhood. Access to the Brown Line (Montrose stop) and to the Metra, which has an express train that takes 15 minutes to the Loop. Ravenswood is tougher to get into, as a lot of people love it when they get there - less turnover. Has a treelined, warehousey type feel to it.
That Metra line will also take you north to the Botanic Gardens and some other stuff worth visiting north of the city.

$1800 will go a little further west from there, across the river. I personally like that stretch of Lawrence Ave and the Brown Line starts/ends up there at Kimball. A little gritty, lots of good food of many sorts. Still has that authentic Chicago feel that's getting squeezed out of the North Side. Long ride into the Loop, but it's probably the best city views that can be seen on the El.

I technically don't live in Logan, but I can walk to the park/square/monument thing in a little under 20 minutes, and pay less in rent being on the other side of Diversey.

Also, carrying a gun isn't going to do much against what will probably be the greatest actual threat to your physical health walking on the streets, which is people riding bicycles on the sidewalks at high speeds like they're juiced up for the Tour de France. Stay out of gangs, don't deal drugs and you're probably not going to get shot in any of the parts of the city that you're talking about.

Old 10-24-2020, 11:29 AM

4,648 posts, read 3,260,261 times
jfre81, great to see you on here again. Looking forward to seeing more of your photos!

Old 10-25-2020, 09:24 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
You might want to look into Lakeview or Edgewater, Ravenswood, or Lincoln Square.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:37 AM

7 posts, read 6,181 times
Thank you for the insight jfre81, I do not plan on dealing drugs or getting involved with gangs at all so that really helps put my mind at ease.

As of right now neighborhoods for us are mostly dependent on employment, but depending on the pandemic it seems our move may be delayed. As of right now since we live in MO we'd have to do a full quarantine for 2 weeks, so we wouldn't even be able to look at housing options in person.

Old 11-01-2020, 01:34 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,235,073 times
"eastern and northeastern neighborhoods" = the middle of lake michigan. FYI.

You will pay at least $1800 for a one-bedroom in Ravenswood/Lincoln Square. If you move west of Western Ave to the Rockwell or Kedzie areas, the rents get a bit cheaper. If you are willing to consider an 'edgier' neighborhood, Rogers Park or Humbolt Park, you could afford a larger space for the same amount.

As for weapons in the home, in my experience most law-abiding Chicagoans aren't keen on guns. Although, it's so rare that anyone has them, most people wouldn't think to consider that you might. Certainly you will find that Second Amendment enthusiasts are very rare in Chicagoland. Practically speaking, I question the point. Violent in-home crime is extremely rare (other than domestic violence) and rarely random. Burglaries happen sometimes but rarely when the homeowner is at home. Other violent crimes usually happen outdoors (on the street, at bars etc). Note also that Illinois is a 'stand your ground' law on paper only. In practice, courts have historically applied 'duty to retreat' laws. This isn't Missouri where you can just go shooting when you see someone in your yard. Also keep in mind that legal gun ownership is so rare in Chicago that I don't even think there are any gun shops or ranges in the city. There are trainers but if you need to actually buy the gun and ammunition and practice shooting, you'll need to go out to the burbs.

Old 11-01-2020, 06:51 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,070,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
"eastern and northeastern neighborhoods" = the middle of lake michigan. FYI.

You will pay at least $1800 for a one-bedroom in Ravenswood/Lincoln Square. If you move west of Western Ave to the Rockwell or Kedzie areas, the rents get a bit cheaper. If you are willing to consider an 'edgier' neighborhood, Rogers Park or Humbolt Park, you could afford a larger space for the same amount.

As for weapons in the home, in my experience most law-abiding Chicagoans aren't keen on guns. Although, it's so rare that anyone has them, most people wouldn't think to consider that you might. Certainly you will find that Second Amendment enthusiasts are very rare in Chicagoland. Practically speaking, I question the point. Violent in-home crime is extremely rare (other than domestic violence) and rarely random. Burglaries happen sometimes but rarely when the homeowner is at home. Other violent crimes usually happen outdoors (on the street, at bars etc). Note also that Illinois is a 'stand your ground' law on paper only. In practice, courts have historically applied 'duty to retreat' laws. This isn't Missouri where you can just go shooting when you see someone in your yard. Also keep in mind that legal gun ownership is so rare in Chicago that I don't even think there are any gun shops or ranges in the city. There are trainers but if you need to actually buy the gun and ammunition and practice shooting, you'll need to go out to the burbs.
Maybe in the city, but not in the suburbs. I believe the overall rate of gun ownership in Illinois is in the 28% range (eighth lowest among all the states last I read), but Chicago itself only has about 220,000 FOID card holders - I was amazed at this stat, I would have assumed it was much higher. Now, that stat is from an older article I just looked up - there were a very large number of folks who have armed themselves in 2020 for obvious reasons, so the numbers may be quite different today.

There is a reason burglaries tend to happen when no one is at home, and criminals not knowing who is armed plays heavily into that, I would think, Australia home invasions reportedly spiked up when they outlawed firearm ownership. Illinois has never been a state known for liberal gun rights and laws, and you are correct, most especially in the city of Chicago (evidenced most recently by the nickel-a-round tax on ammunition within Cook County, I buy mine elsewhere, as I did Diet Coke during that tax fiasco).

This is why, I believe, many people left the city for the suburbs, especially early on. My own Dad was a hunter (originally from WI) and we always had guns in the house. I always thought gun ownership was higher in Illinois than it actually appears to be, just due to the people I grew up around - most of my friends' families had guns in the house growing up (in the suburbs), and some of us got into shooting as adults. I believe the lack of shops and ranges in the city is due to legislation much more than it is demand, demonstrated by the number of shops located just outside the city limits. As you would expect, I believe ownership is much higher in rural areas vs. urban.

It would be extremely interesting to know how high the percentage gun ownership in the city is if you could somehow count all of the illegally-procured guns and non-licensed owners. The problem isn't gun ownership, it's gun ownership (and use) by those with bad intent.

Old 11-01-2020, 08:41 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,235,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Maybe in the city, but not in the suburbs. I believe the overall rate of gun ownership in Illinois is in the 28% range (eighth lowest among all the states last I read), but Chicago itself only has about 220,000 FOID card holders - I was amazed at this stat, I would have assumed it was much higher. Now, that stat is from an older article I just looked up - there were a very large number of folks who have armed themselves in 2020 for obvious reasons, so the numbers may be quite different today.

There is a reason burglaries tend to happen when no one is at home, and criminals not knowing who is armed plays heavily into that, I would think, Australia home invasions reportedly spiked up when they outlawed firearm ownership. Illinois has never been a state known for liberal gun rights and laws, and you are correct, most especially in the city of Chicago (evidenced most recently by the nickel-a-round tax on ammunition within Cook County, I buy mine elsewhere, as I did Diet Coke during that tax fiasco).

This is why, I believe, many people left the city for the suburbs, especially early on. My own Dad was a hunter (originally from WI) and we always had guns in the house. I always thought gun ownership was higher in Illinois than it actually appears to be, just due to the people I grew up around - most of my friends' families had guns in the house growing up (in the suburbs), and some of us got into shooting as adults. I believe the lack of shops and ranges in the city is due to legislation much more than it is demand, demonstrated by the number of shops located just outside the city limits. As you would expect, I believe ownership is much higher in rural areas vs. urban.

It would be extremely interesting to know how high the percentage gun ownership in the city is if you could somehow count all of the illegally-procured guns and non-licensed owners. The problem isn't gun ownership, it's gun ownership (and use) by those with bad intent.
OP wasn't asking about the suburbs....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago