Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 04:58 PM

149 posts, read 454,386 times

Advertisements

I accepted a job today in chicago, but right now I feel like I made a mistake. I told my best friends and she started balling and hasn't answered my calls today. I called my dog walker and she was in tears. People at work are begging me not to leave. I was already very nervous about relocating to a new city. Now, I feel like backing out entirely. I'm scared to leave my happy, safe, albeit lonely suburban life.

I know I have always enjoyed chicago when I've been there. I guess I'm just looking for some encouragement that I'll be able to meet people and my dog will be able to enoy his new life too when I get there.

So, toss me some Chamber of Commerce style advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 05:29 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,245,643 times
Well, moving is always hard, but there is obviously a reason you decided to apply for jobs in other cities and decided to take the job (OK, no more being a therapist!)

I would check out the pics on the Chicago appreciation thread. That may help!

I personally LOVE Chicago. I am in Tampa for 1 year (then back to Chicago) and am so excited to get back! So much to do, great people, it's a big city that is still accessible.....

Many great things!

Where are you moving from?

Old 05-02-2008, 06:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
We have everything anyone could want here (except tropical weather, but you already know what to expect). We have great restaurants, great nightlife, great bars and pubs, great music scene, great arts scene, great summer festivals, great museums, great shopping, great ethnic neighborhoods, great public transportation (well, adequate public transportation, but the coverage is quite comprehensive)... and unlike Detroit, you can actually live right in the middle of it all -- it's not all lumped together in one smallish downtown area surrounded by No Man's Land. It spreads out into a lot of very vibrant residential areas that have nice compact walkable districts and a very good quality of life.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:31 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Dude, you are leaving Detroit -- they are crying because the herd is thinning. It might not be long befor the lights are turned off...

Is absolutely everything better in Chicago than Detroit? Of course not, but our economy is considerably more robust. We have about 6000% better restaurant options. We have about 8000% more entertainment options. We have a helluva lot better social scene. And our air smells better. What's not to love?

Old 05-03-2008, 01:00 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
And 10,000% better sports teams. lol

Er, at least we think so, anyways. lol

Old 05-03-2008, 05:30 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,969 times
if you're moving from Detroit, tell your friends to stop crying, buy an Amtrak ticket and come visit you when you get to Chicago.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:53 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,089 times
Sounds like you've got people that love you. That's a good thing, but remember that giving up what could be a better life isn't doing anything good for them or you.

When I visit family and friends down south, they inevitably ask when I'm planning on moving closer, and tell me how much they miss me, etc. It's tough, but I've built a life here in Chicago that I simply wouldn't have been able to create back home.

Come to Chicago. Remind those around you that they, too, have a chance to make changes in their lives. Comfort is tempting. Loneliness is tough.

Do what's best for you. It sounds to me like, at least for now, that's Chicago.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:55 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,604,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
if you're moving from Detroit, tell your friends to stop crying, buy an Amtrak ticket and come visit you when you get to Chicago.
Better yet,they could buy a ticket on Megabus for like $10 roundtrip!

Old 05-03-2008, 11:18 AM

11 posts, read 41,337 times
Chicago is not all it is cracked up to be; someone said "you know what to expect from the weather." I thought I knew what to expect, and it exceeded my expectations 1000%. You better like incredibly bitterly cold winters, so cold the wind hits you and it feels like paper cuts on your face. The summers are so hot (heat index 125 degrees) you wish for summer. It is rediculously expensive. I guess the people are nice....
That being said, the city is gorgeous, especially in May, June, September and October. Wrigley Field is amazing. There is awesome nightlife...try the strip of bars on Southport in West Wrigley. Hye Bar is awesome! If you want to meet friends sign up for a sport on Chicago Sport and Social Club.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:34 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,089 times
If you're coming from the Detroit area, I doubt the weather is going to come as that big a shock. It always comes up on these threads, but as someone who grew up in the sweaty, humid South, I find the weather hard from time to time, but I realized some time after moving here that I do, in fact, own clothing, have a heated apartment, and can plan around the weather. Life got better after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago