Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 02:44 PM

1,067 posts, read 914,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Has anyone noticed that no one has mentioned what Mayor Lightfoot should have done differently? By the way, she's now pursuing looters relentlessly.

A claim of mismanagement is easy -- what type of action would have been preferable? Its insane to say she is doing it all wrong if a person does not have a clear idea of what doing it right means or the effect of same.
Well said. Its easy to blame but harder to provide the solution. Those people are simply complainers.

Lightfoot did good on the teacher contract / strike. I applaud her there. Then it went quckly downhill. I think she dropped the ball big time with covid and the riots/looters. She should have firmly backed the police (unlike how she blamed them at the Columbus statue), she should have firmly squashed any rioters/looters (again like the Columbus statue mob and the second wave of looters...set up barricades after the first time...stationed police near downtown like they are now...use more aggressive tactics like tear gas and rubber bullets), come out against Kim Foxx hard cause we all knew she was going lightly against looters after the Smollett debacle, and finally she should have opened everything up after the initial 30-45 day covid lockdown because the shutdown is not only increasing the violence, looting etc. but its also increasing our deficit and ruining our economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 06:29 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Well said. Its easy to blame but harder to provide the solution. Those people are simply complainers.

Lightfoot did good on the teacher contract / strike. I applaud her there. Then it went quckly downhill. I think she dropped the ball big time with covid and the riots/looters. She should have firmly backed the police (unlike how she blamed them at the Columbus statue), she should have firmly squashed any rioters/looters (again like the Columbus statue mob and the second wave of looters...set up barricades after the first time...stationed police near downtown like they are now...use more aggressive tactics like tear gas and rubber bullets), come out against Kim Foxx hard cause we all knew she was going lightly against looters after the Smollett debacle, and finally she should have opened everything up after the initial 30-45 day covid lockdown because the shutdown is not only increasing the violence, looting etc. but its also increasing our deficit and ruining our economy.
Well said.

Ultimately, the solution might be to break up Chicago into fifty different cities, maybe on the "neighborhood" levels. For me, I don't want to live in a city where, if the police shoot a knife-wielding madman who ignores warnings to stop advancing against them in an aggressive manner, the response of many of the residents is to loot and smash up the shopping districts (say "Hi" to Philly for me). But this is how the suburbs were created to begin with - people fleeing behaviors (and the folks who have a higher tolerance for those behaviors) to areas with less of those behaviors and folks who tolerate them. Not that I want to live in Singapore, where residents are caned for littering - but I'd much rather live in Singapore, than Englewood. The whole idea of people with significant different cultural worldviews of "How the world should work", living together in harmony, just doesn't seem to be cutting it in 2020. The problem occurs, when those living in Englewood look around and notice that the people who left, are the same folks who have assets - which fund niceties like, well, schools.

Welcome to 2020. Captain Obvious, over and out.

Last edited by Curly Q. Bobalink; 10-28-2020 at 06:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago