Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 08:39 PM

1,803 posts, read 933,711 times

Advertisements

Here we are in this Pandemic and cities (plural) in a mounting debt to aid businesses and up-ed police needed and overtime and less revenue coming in for a city as Chicago that also depended on its Hospitality industry from tourism and conventions that could not come.

Most of the same posters for political reason said the same thing about city and state finances for long before this pandemic anyway. Still we must believe as a Nation --- "This too shall Pass". A religious sort of saying for grief etc. The debt may not go away yet the city will and must endure or can the Nation??

Still Chicago gets luv for what it has. Yet ANOTHER current listing of the World's cities and this link on the TOP 15. Chicago made #12.

I had this link come into my phone and it actually is a Toronto blog/link. Toronto saw them making #13 as a great feat to boast here ..... but some Chicagoans may bolk. Still something positive ...

I am using the Toronto link since the main one that choose these cities needs to be downloaded.
The original list is by and what they classify themselves as ....

RESONANCE -- Resonance is a global consultancy of strategic and creative place makers. As leading advisors in real estate, tourism and economic development, Resonance combines expertise in research, strategy, branding and communications to make destinations, cities and developments more valuable and more vibrant.

VlogTO - Toronto ranked #13 in the World - (((yet Chicago was at #12))) by the above firm who made the list.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2020/10/...st-city-world/
from the link.

Here are the 15 best cities in the world, according to the ranking:
  1. London, England
  2. New York City, USA
  3. Paris, France
  4. Moscow, Russia
  5. Tokyo, Japan
  6. Dubai, United Arab Emirates
  7. Singapore, Republic of Singapore
  8. Barcelona, Spain
  9. Los Angeles, USA
  10. Madrid, Spain
  11. Rome, Italy
  12. Chicago, USA
  13. Toronto, Canada
  14. San Francisco, USA
  15. Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
In a news release about the report, Fair noted that these cities face unprecedented challenges brought on by the pandemic that will define their next decade and beyond, and he added that cities will only be able to recover quickly and effectively with the proper financial support and policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 02:21 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
I know when I want to find out where a city ranks, I ALWAYS go to "blogto.com".

Old 10-31-2020, 04:15 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Yep. I quit giving it any real thought after realizing there was not ONE city from Mainland China on this list. Others I find suspiciously absent, are Seoul and Taipei. And Rome? Really? This seems more like a list for "Cool places to go to on holiday" than "Best Cities". But then I re-read the criteria and the definition of "Resonance". Yep, the "cool" factor seems to be the primary.

Old 10-31-2020, 05:18 PM

Default Just think you guys ... we got Toronto beat yet again and they boasted they were #13 Chi is #12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Yep. I quit giving it any real thought after realizing there was not ONE city from Mainland China on this list. Others I find suspiciously absent, are Seoul and Taipei. And Rome? Really? This seems more like a list for "Cool places to go to on holiday" than "Best Cities". But then I re-read the criteria and the definition of "Resonance". Yep, the "cool" factor seems to be the primary.
Oh. I have been seeing you a lot in the Philadelphia forum. You are rather nice there......

Well at least wase4711 got out of Illinios? Maybe you moved to Philly? Getting closer to me you know.
Quote:
You went to where .... Nevada or Arizona. Still you live on C-D for Illinois and Chicago .... like me. We LUV US SOME CHICAGO IL . We must.
I will let you two know if I find anymore Great news for a City we Luv.... Oh, both of you.

We need a Club going. Call it: For the Love of Chicago. Yeah, has a ring to it...... and Thanks for visiting..

Old 10-31-2020, 05:37 PM

1,067 posts, read 914,716 times
Nice share. I was walking around downtown today and overheard a girl in her 20s say "I have never seen a city this clean!" I've heard that over and over about Chicago so that's certainly a plus. Was a great fall day.

Old 10-31-2020, 05:49 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Nice share. I was walking around downtown today and overheard a girl in her 20s say "I have never seen a city this clean!" I've heard that over and over about Chicago so that's certainly a plus. Was a great fall day.
Yeah... I think it’s something a lot of people take for granted. But as someone who has seen my city go from reasonably clean to absolutely filthy and disgusting in a few short years due to homelessness issues, it really stands out to me.

Old 10-31-2020, 05:53 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
I rarely see cities from mainland China on such lists. I don't think that the western world rates Chinese cities highly outside of Hong Kong.

I'm always puzzled as to why LA rates highly. Reputation over reality I guess. I love LA, but top 10 in the world? I don't think so.

Old 10-31-2020, 07:49 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
You went to where .... Nevada or Arizona. Still you live on C-D for Illinois and Chicago .... like me. We LUV US SOME CHICAGO IL . We must.
I will let you two know if I find anymore Great news for a City we Luv.... Oh, both of you.
We need a Club going. Call it: For the Love of Chicago. Yeah, has a ring to it...... and Thanks for visiting..
Still have property/friends and family in chicago/illinois, and, additionally, after many decades living there, i still have alot of interest in what goes on..Just sad to watch the recent demise of so many things in the area, especially knowing and experiencing how it has evolved over time..

Old 10-31-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Still have property/friends and family in chicago/illinois, and, additionally, after many decades living there, i still have alot of interest in what goes on..Just sad to watch the recent demise of so many things in the area, especially knowing and experiencing how it has evolved over time..
Yes this year in so man cities was sad. You then must have had some good things to say about Chicago before this year? Lot of interest is good. Acknowledging some good when it occurs and wishing the city and state well .. should be everyone who has interest right?

So many of our cities in debt and OMG the National one. Still Chicago impresses visitors and the group that did this Thread Topic Poll that placed Chicago 12th in the world. HAY HAY HAY.

Would be nice if people could complement all the good that happened in the city in building its tourism and downtown being HOT and on the rise. Neighborhoods that look great and revived.... sadly pricey too. That is Free enterprise and if you invest you gotta get a return.

Still the system is not for everyone will win. Not every neighborhood has. Sadly wish it was they did too. Chicago is not in the Sunbelt. You might be enjoying your best season soon in the Southeast. Most of us here will be enduring what this winter brings. You do wish us all well though right?

So glad you too have a Great interest in Chicago and wish it well. Surely you do wish it well right? You wouldn't be here to wish Chicago ill-will would you? Or desire to Predict it implode? What about your family?

I still am seem youtube videos that have people around the city going about their business and biking, walking even skooters. Great to see how clean most of the city is. I can tell you .... in the east I do not see some cities nearly as clean.... just saying.

But we all wish Chicago well or why would we post right.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:05 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
Oh. I have been seeing you a lot in the Philadelphia forum. You are rather nice there......
Quit trying to ruin my reputation, LOL.

OK, OK, I'll say something nice about Chicago: It is doing its very best to keep the folks in the plywood industry working through the pandemic. Plus, raising all those bridges so often keeps the Bridgetenders employed. With respect to cleanliness, when everyone is sweeping up broken glass every weekend, they tend to collect any gum wrappers or shell casings at the same time. And finally, our Trauma Surgeons are the best of anyplace in the country, because....practice.

Call me nice, willya...
Take care if you wander into Philadelphia these days, it's got a ways to go before it can reclaim the city motto. Glad to see you visiting the Chicago forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago