Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:36 AM

440 posts, read 1,501,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejaye View Post
Okay here is my situation I moved to San Diego from Chicago about 1 year ago. Reason being mostly for the weather and so I can do stuff outside.
I've always found the "I'm an outdoors person, I can't live in Chicago" thing to be pretty suspect. I've never understood why anyone who enjoys mountain biking, trail running, or hiking would be incapable of enjoying city biking, jogging on the lakefront, or walking around the neighborhood. Frankly, I think a lot of the affinity for hydrocarbon sports like mountain biking or trail running is in reality a convenient excuse to sit at home and do nothing.

The weather in Chicago is only as big a problem as you allow it to be. I run and bike all year. You dress for the season. That's it.

Spring and fall are by far the best seasons for biking and running. Summer gets hot and sometimes uncomfortable, but you adapt, and Chicago summers are so great or other reasons it does not matter.

Winter is not the big deal people make it out to be. Temperature-wise, there is no difference between riding a bike and downhill skiing, you wear the same clothes and gloves and you don't get cold.

Get yourself a pair of cross country skiis, and instead of the snow being a problem, it becomes something to look forward to.

These are the adjustments one makes to a northern climate, irrespective of whether it is Chicago or Boulder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 12:44 PM

75 posts, read 224,481 times
just saw this, and boy, can I relate. my husband and i moved from chicago to florida over a year ago. thought we'd like the lowkey scene, and the heat. Wrong! we're too young for the area, and i'm SO sick of the heat already. and dont even get me started on the job market here, lol.

we are glad to have missed this past winter up there (it was a mess, i hear!) but when we weigh the pros & cons, we realize we need to get back north. shooting for next spring.

chicago is such a great city. i guess it took moving away for a while to realize just how much we love it!

Old 05-05-2008, 05:51 PM

82 posts, read 390,702 times
Ha well don't feel too bad i have moved from Chicago three times and moved back if I go back this time it will be my forth. I'm glad to here you say that about Florida though because it was on my list of possibilities.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:42 AM

248 posts, read 1,073,469 times
this one is a tough one as this past winter was the worst ever!!!!

I will tell ya this...Winter in Chicago can be fun....downtown in the winter is magical to me...especially when you have a significant other.......there's so much to do downtown it seems like.....maybe it's just me.....I feel in love with my girl...we spent a lot of time downtown then we first dated....just my 2 cents....

Old 05-10-2008, 10:44 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,177,754 times
Yup, I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Move back here.

Even cloudy winter days have their charm. Head out with your friends to a pub with a fireplace; pull up to a table and chat the evening away. IMO friends are more important than weather, and it sounds like you have more of the former back here.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:05 PM

69 posts, read 166,652 times
I live in San Diego right now too. Ive been all over, lived in the West, Northwest, Midwest, etc...There is something really special about Chicago, I loved it every time I visited, great mass transit with all the trains, so the weather isnt that great, big deal if you are used to living in the midwest...Im also considering a move to Chicago. The only thing holding me back is my family out here and the beautiful women here in San Diego. But it is just getting pretty hectic with the prices out here...I dont know!!!

Old 05-11-2008, 07:24 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,559,699 times
I live in Houston and would never return to Chicago. Many call me crazy. Some call me nucking futs. But the warmer weather is an addiction, and the harsh hot weather a good trade off for months upon months of gloomy 30's and 40's.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:52 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,495,298 times
Eh, look back to why you left in the first place. Was it the weather or what? For me the weather really effects me but I've lived in better climates all my life...

Currently on vacation in Florida and don't want to go back.

And yes to the other person, I am an outdoors person... but that also means "nature", Chicago is anything but natural so to speak and if you drive out of it you run into corn fields or sprawl. 6 months out of the year is just too cold outside to really enjoy it, I'd much prefer just outside in a pair of shorts, but I grew up on the beach so...
Besides a job there really isn't much for me in Chicago at this point, but maybe you have more... I could care less for the restaurants or shopping or bars, I don't go to them anyway...I'd prefer to be outside on the beach.

I would stay in Cali if I were you...just a differing opinion.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:03 AM

569 posts, read 1,819,260 times
San Diego is a beautiful city, but not alot happens out there imo. You can hang out in the gas lamp district or catch a Padres game at Petco Park, visit Tijuana, or go to Sea World or the San Diego Zoo. Plus the bars close at 2am. It's obvious this city is based off of outdoor activiites, as there aint a whole lot of anything else to do. The downtown area is way too small, and not much else going on in the suburbs around the city. So a downtown living experience is rather limited as with any other major socal city. And huge downfall of LA/SD is that their transportation systems are a complete failure. You need a car to get anywhere since every neighborhood is so spread apart. Now that's what sets NY and Chi apart is that you can truly submerse yourself into a major metropolitan experience, without a car. Between the two cities, 39 million people can fully interact with each other between fully accessible transportation systems. Not all people can handle the vastness and chaos of major metropolitan cities, and the people who cant tend to retreat into the suburbs or more low key cities. Not that a great outdoor socal experience wouldnt be nice, but thats something I'll do when I'm older.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:13 AM

569 posts, read 1,819,260 times
Let me add the chaos and vastness of Chicago makes for a unique one of a kind living experience. Cold weather won't stop a Chicagoan from enjoying this rich experience. You might not be able surf or jetski or hike mountains in chi, but there is definately a middle ground to compromise with Lake Michigan, and with that you can have the best of both worlds.

Last edited by sharkylittleton; 05-12-2008 at 09:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago