Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 03:11 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,411,548 times

Advertisements

https://www.wbez.org/stories/governo...8-cd186717e398

I had a feeling this was going to happen... Pritzker just suspended indoor dining in Chicago...This is getting so pathetic. The economy in this city will never recover. What idiot is going to eat outside in freezing cold weather?!

Old 10-27-2020, 03:25 PM

1,068 posts, read 921,719 times
I would absolutely eat outside. In ski towns people eat and drink outside and under heat lamps all the time. Now out west the dry air makes it more pleasant than the humid air in Chicago but we all need to embrace "apres ski" dining/drinking. Turn it into a fun winter alternative with the right mindset!

But yes Pritzker is an idiot. Open everything up. Indoor dining/bars are not the culprit. We saw that with Italy's initial lockdown. These businesses will not survive a second wave of shut downs.

I'll also add that I was back in Rockford this past weekend and heard that several restaurants/bars are simply refusing to shut down in Rockford and the surrounding area. My parents told me the sheriff of Winnebago county said "Yeah we got bigger fish to fry" and the police chief of Rockford agreed. Glad to hear there is some common sense pushback.

Last edited by dtcbnd03; 10-27-2020 at 03:35 PM..

Old 10-27-2020, 03:41 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,411,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
I would absolutely eat outside. In ski towns people eat and drink outside and under heat lamps all the time. Now out west the dry air makes it more pleasant than the humid air in Chicago but we all need to embrace "apres ski" dining/drinking. Turn it into a fun winter alternative with the right mindset!

But yes Pritzker is an idiot. Open everything up. Indoor dining/bars are not the culprit. We saw that with Italy's initial lockdown. These businesses will not survive a second wave of shut downs.

I'll also add that I was back in Rockford this past weekend and heard that several restaurants/bars are simply refusing to shut down in Rockford and the surrounding area. My parents told me the sheriff of Winnebago county said "Yeah we got bigger fish to fry" and the police chief of Rockford agreed. Glad to hear there is some common sense pushback.
Haha, I've never actually tried eating outside in the wintertime... I just think it would be very unpleasant. If they don't allow indoor dining throughout the winter, I might try eating outside just to keep my sanity. I can't just sit inside my apartment for months.

I seriously don't know what these idiots are thinking... these establishments barely survived the first round of lockdowns...no way they will survive a second round. I just don't think they truly care about the businesses.

Old 10-28-2020, 12:48 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,416,682 times
I think it's a ridiculous move to close down indoor dining (again) too. Small business has already been strangled by the first shutdown... this seems like the finishing blow to kill off struggling small businesses. Bars that don't serve food are going to be toast from this.

That said, I do think there's a way some restaurants can get crafty to make it work. Tents, heat lamps, fire pits, space heaters (and of course... people will need to dress in warm clothing)... at least for the Fall, there are ways to make outdoor dining possible. Of course, come January/February when the temps can go well below 0, then it might be much less practical, but who knows? I agree with dtc, there are other places in the world that can do outdoor dining in cold temps, so it's possible. But businesses will definitely have to adapt. Restaurants with roofed-over patios are already in a good position for this.

Old 10-28-2020, 05:44 AM

4,661 posts, read 3,285,291 times
Does anyone know if this applies to restaurants OUTSIDE the city's borders?? Might it, in fact, affect the Chicago suburbs??

Old 10-28-2020, 06:14 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,073,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Does anyone know if this applies to restaurants OUTSIDE the city's borders?? Might it, in fact, affect the Chicago suburbs??

Lake and McHenry counties are still open, but not for long.
Everywhere else is now "extreme dining", for lack of a better term.

Old 10-28-2020, 06:16 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,077,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Good morning, Master Jay. Yes, indoor dining in suburban Cook County has been put on hold as well. I believe some (most?) restaurants are going back to outdoor dining options, hoping to generate enough business to keep their staff working. Unfortunately, as has been mentioned above, outdoor dining loses appeal each week we get closer to the expected visit from Santa Claus. Personally, I'm hoping to find a vaccine in my stocking this year.

I would suggest that those who care about their favorite restaurants, get take-out from them during this time, and help keep them in business. I utilized the Portillo's drive-through not long ago, and ate in my car - which, being in a high-risk group, drives down the risk and anxiety of being around other (potentially contagious) diners anyway. Cheers!

Old 10-28-2020, 06:44 AM

Sunbiz1, I had "planned" to dine in in Lake County (the closest county of Illinois to me) on Saturday and Sunday of this week.

We shall see what happens.

Thank you, Sunbiz1, for the heads up.

Have a great day!

Old 10-28-2020, 06:49 AM

Curly Q. Bobalink,

And a good morning to you, as well!

Good to hear you're doing well, and still enjoying your grub that you like, AND supporting local businesses. Good for you! You have a good plan in effect! I hope the smaller establishments will be able to keep their heads up. This time of year brings, for some people, certain feelings of anxiety and depression. The economic situation surely won't help.

I think you were good this year, and Santa definitely should bring you a vaccine! And doses for every household would be a beautiful Christmas gift for all!

I had planned to be in Lake County this weekend. I think I shall stay north of Lake-Cook Road this weekend.

I'm sending much love and positive energy to all of you, my Chicago family AND north, west and south of Chicago!

Old 10-28-2020, 07:28 AM

529 posts, read 649,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
That said, I do think there's a way some restaurants can get crafty to make it work. Tents, heat lamps, fire pits, space heaters (and of course... people will need to dress in warm clothing)...
This whole thing is arbitrary. There isn't really any data to show that forcing certain businesses to close down does anything significant to slow/stop the spread. So lets ban eating inside, but eating outside in an enclosed tent with heat lamps is okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago