U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-04-2020, 06:45 PM
 
Location: sumter
11,228 posts, read 6,822,591 times
Reputation: 8215

Advertisements


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDrjBlOb1GM&t=18s

Chicago is still leading way in architecture and tall building designs. It's one of my favorite cities with one of the best skyline anywhere on planet earth.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2020, 06:50 PM
 
Location: sumter
11,228 posts, read 6,822,591 times
Reputation: 8215

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s84s9UmQJwA

Chicagoans have much to be proud of, a stunningly beautiful city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2020, 07:19 PM
 
1,054 posts, read 283,409 times
Reputation: 749
Default There is a new name for Chicago's formally name Vista Tower.

I certainly agree that Chicago has still plenty to be Proud of and downtown for sure as a beautiful city as so many claim as tourist and post YouTube videos over the years and those of what they did on vacation in Chicago as Vlogs.

Just also to note that now "Vista Tower" has a new name since November.

Vista Tower, Chicago’s Third Tallest Building, Gets A New Name: "St. Regis Chicago".

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/11...regis-chicago/

The new partnerships with St. Regis Hotels and Resorts and Alinea Group were announced Wednesday by Magellan Development, the developer of the massive project. St. Regis is part of Marriott International.

St. Regis Hotel will operate a 191-room hotel. It will also offer a fine dining restaurant with an outdoor terrace, another restaurant and lounge overlooking the Chicago River and a Sky Bar with an outdoor terrace.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2020, 07:45 PM
 
Location: sumter
11,228 posts, read 6,822,591 times
Reputation: 8215
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
I certainly agree that Chicago has still plenty to be Proud of and downtown for sure as a beautiful city as so many claim as tourist and post YouTube videos over the years and those of what they did on vacation in Chicago as Vlogs.

Just also to note that now "Vista Tower" has a new name since November.

Vista Tower, Chicago’s Third Tallest Building, Gets A New Name: "St. Regis Chicago".


https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/11...regis-chicago/

The new partnerships with St. Regis Hotels and Resorts and Alinea Group were announced Wednesday by Magellan Development, the developer of the massive project. St. Regis is part of Marriott International.

St. Regis Hotel will operate a 191-room hotel. It will also offer a fine dining restaurant with an outdoor terrace, another restaurant and lounge overlooking the Chicago River and a Sky Bar with an outdoor terrace.
Thanks for the update, and yes downtown Chicago is a beautiful place, and the river really adds to it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2020, 11:39 AM
 
330 posts, read 130,790 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDrjBlOb1GM&t=18s

Chicago is still leading way in architecture and tall building designs. It's one of my favorite cities with one of the best skyline anywhere on planet earth.
Chicago hasn't been leading the way in height or design for a very long time now. Chicago firms are still very much in demand around the world however where there is actual innovation and new height thresholds taking place. Developers in Chicago have been demonstrably conservative and risk averse the last decade.

Chicago is stuck in the Miesian past where minimilism is king. Developers and architects are building blue-glass-boxes ad-nauseum which have dominated the city's landscpae the past 10 years. In the few years leading up to the 2008 recession Chicago was still the leader in world class designs and pushing boundaries for height. New York has ran away from Chicago in terms of innovation, materials and height.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2020, 01:24 PM
 
1,054 posts, read 283,409 times
Reputation: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
Chicago hasn't been leading the way in height or design for a very long time now. Chicago firms are still very much in demand around the world however where there is actual innovation and new height thresholds taking place. Developers in Chicago have been demonstrably conservative and risk averse the last decade.

Chicago is stuck in the Miesian past where minimilism is king. Developers and architects are building blue-glass-boxes ad-nauseum which have dominated the city's landscpae the past 10 years. In the few years leading up to the 2008 recession Chicago was still the leader in world class designs and pushing boundaries for height. New York has ran away from Chicago in terms of innovation, materials and height.
Well, that is virtually every US city. Many fast-growing Sunbelt cities still hype their glass boxes. Many areas of the world have little limits to spending for Glory Towers.

When Burj Khalifa, Dubai was designed by the Chicago firm - Adrian Smith, of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, whose firm designed the Willis Tower built. Also a reason Trump Tower Chicago has a smaller-scale somewhat similar look. Far less parts and bells and whistles and height of course. The building has received many awards. However, there were numerous complaints concerning migrant workers from South Asia who were the primary building labor force. These centered on low wages and the practice of confiscating passports until duties were complete. Several suicides were reported.

When it was being built they had financial difficulties to. Completed it alone made not profit.
The concept of profitability derived from building high density developments and malls around the landmark were where profits were proven successful. Its surrounding malls, hotels and condominiums in Downtown Dubai have generated the most revenue from the project as a whole,
"while the Burj Khalifa itself made little or no profit".

To build this in Chicago..... yet alone NYC. much more $$$$$$$$$. In the US labor cost much much more. Even in a Sunbelt city much more. Glory Towers where little financial limits were limiting its give it all a Architect can..... are not how it is in the US. There must be for profit. Investors require it.

Whether Chicago will yet get a mega-tall? That remains to be seen. I do not think it is necessary at all. More Super-Talls seem to be coming. Still the set-back of this Pandemic year. Will not aid some scheduled to break ground next year and could be delayed? Hopefully, will not be killed like those during the Crash of 08'.

Chicago still got some decent Towers. Yes smaller-ones were more glass greens and blues. Look at Toronto for the most though and so similar.

Last edited by NoHyping; 12-07-2020 at 02:42 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2020, 08:01 AM
 
1,705 posts, read 468,425 times
Reputation: 1591
Nice tower but still sad how much we have fallen. Other places around the globe including here in America with New York keep building the worlds tallest towers and we still have not even surpassed our own Sears Tower which goes all the way back to 1974!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2020, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2,508 posts, read 964,067 times
Reputation: 1970
Robert9, good morning.

I haven't seen you in a while? I hope all is well.

Man, with your love of eye-grabbing buildings and such, you would have been a great architect or engineer!

Hey, its never too late!!!

You could even call it the "Robert 9 Building"

And then hope some day, no one buys it and re-names it, like they have with Willis Tower, U.S. Cellular, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2020, 08:13 AM
 
1,705 posts, read 468,425 times
Reputation: 1591
MasterJay: Not a bad idea. I would not mind a career change either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2020, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2,508 posts, read 964,067 times
Reputation: 1970
Robert9 change can be good!

I remember I went to a job interview once and I was asked, " If you could pick one career for the rest of your life to be happy, what would it be?"

I responded, " I could pick THREE different careers and be happy forever. I could be a Social Worker. I could teach Tae Kwon Do. Or I could be an ESL Teacher."

The interviewer responded, "NO! You can only pick ONE!"

I replied, "Excuse me, but I certainly CAN pick more than ONE!"....

I did not get that job. It was for a Social Worker in a Bilingual community building. And I went to my next interview after that in the Milwaukee County Courthouse and then DID get that position, which I had for 9 years, before moving onto Waukesha County.

So, the world is ours!

And don't ever let anyone try to suggest you can only pick ONE path!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top