U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 07:24 AM

208 posts, read 52,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Bring back the good paying manufacturing jobs that only called for a high school diploma.

The end.
The unions made sure those went somewhere else.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2020, 08:44 AM

4,478 posts, read 7,913,680 times
Quote:
Bring back the good paying manufacturing jobs that only called for a high school diploma.

The end.
^^^ Agree 1,000%, This is what's needed to bring the entire City back, not just the parts where we can attract young professionals - which I call the Emerald City. Otherwise, we run a risk of becoming Detroit 2.0 if the professional job market starts to contract. The effects of COVID on office jobs is not yet clear and there have been and still are a lot of cities competing for those types of jobs, because it's a lot easier than taking the harder and more complicated steps of incentivizing manufacturing and finding places to locate it.

The Biden Administration has promised to bring manufacturing jobs back. Taking them at their word, I'm curious as to what they'll do.

Old 12-26-2020, 09:14 AM

169 posts, read 37,709 times
Chicago needs to get rid of all the gangs in the west side and make more amenities in the west side and more housing.

Old 12-26-2020, 09:56 AM

208 posts, read 52,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
^^^ Agree 1,000%, This is what's needed to bring the entire City back, not just the parts where we can attract young professionals - which I call the Emerald City. Otherwise, we run a risk of becoming Detroit 2.0 if the professional job market starts to contract. The effects of COVID on office jobs is not yet clear and there have been and still are a lot of cities competing for those types of jobs, because it's a lot easier than taking the harder and more complicated steps of incentivizing manufacturing and finding places to locate it.

The Biden Administration has promised to bring manufacturing jobs back. Taking them at their word, I'm curious as to what they'll do.
1000% isn’t possible. You’re living in the past boomer.

Old 12-26-2020, 10:29 AM

9,892 posts, read 14,854,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie View Post
The unions made sure those went somewhere else.
Yup just like how the government unions are making all the taxpayers go someplace else and the trade unions at McCormick Place made all the conventions go someplace else.

Old 12-26-2020, 10:46 AM

4,478 posts, read 7,913,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie View Post
1000% isn’t possible. You’re living in the past boomer.
I'm not a Boomer. But that aside, it is possible, and steps must be taken to make it happen. Aside from the poverty facing large portions of the U.S. because we lack enough good paying jobs, the COVID pandemic showed how dangerous of a predicament that our inability to make things has put us in. The incoming administration has promised to rectify it. Let's see what they do.

As far as Chicago is concerned, we're going to feel the increasing pressure of places like Austin, Nashville and many others competing for professional jobs. We will be well served by better diversifying our economy.

Old 12-26-2020, 02:23 PM

160 posts, read 103,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
WestSideMillenial, I'm sure by now you know my position. I've worked in social work for a long time. So the one area I would start with is to try to cut back on criminal behaviors by replacing the gang family with a positive family, if their own family is not dependable to provide the appropriate guidance.

This would be in the form of mentors, martial arts programs, etc.

And if my dream came true. A less criminally based area becomes more attractive to outsiders.

And that brings opportunities for people to feel safe and spend money on stores and restaurants there.

But I'm not the Economics major. So leave the martial arts instructuon piece to people like me!

Merry Christmas, again, my friend.
Hello Master Jay, I hope you had a nice Holiday! Your response was very insightful and I agree with you. Here's to a much better new year in 2021

Old 12-26-2020, 02:27 PM

160 posts, read 103,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Is this a school assignment?
No not at all lol I was just contemplating as I looked out my window thinking about my East Garfield Park neighborhood & the entirety of the West Side in general.

Old 12-26-2020, 02:33 PM

2,462 posts, read 946,728 times
Good day WestSideMillenial. I'm down in Chicagoland this weekend. A mini getaway. Happy holidays!

Thank you for the kind words. I'm trying to offer an actual plan with a realistic plan of action. For example, it's one thing to say: Get rid of gangs to make a neighborhood improved... but you have to have realistic and actual ideas on how to COUNTER a gang issue.

So hopefully I was able to share that here. I do my part in my community as a Tae Kwon Do Instructor.

I'm confident there are many out there with other great ideas to offer and/or implement to try to improve the situation.

Old 12-26-2020, 02:53 PM

881 posts, read 485,695 times
Quote:

The end.
This will never ever happen. Economics forced them to leave in the first place so how has that changed? Watch the Obama produced documentary "American Factory" about Chinese company Fuyao opening a glass factory in Dayton, OH....or the Michael Moore documentay "The Big One" where he pleads with Nike founder Phil Knight to move a factory to Detroit. Both make this blatantly clear. If you have a high school diploma you'd better get a job that can't be outsourced like construction, plumbing, electrician, etc. (all which pay fairly well). Education, technology, skills and high tech manufacturing are keys to the American future.

As for revitalizing the West side it can happen from within if the culture changes. But that likely won't happen so it will have to hope gentrification from West Loop development marching West which also won't happen much more as white collar workers de-couple from offices and move elsewhere. I fear we will gradually see the slow and steady decline of Chicago due to politics, debt, taxes, topography, weather and crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago