U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 08:46 AM

9,892 posts, read 14,854,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Because the labor laws are non-existent there. There's a reason they put up nets around Foxconn so the workers can't jump to their death. Tesla's Shanghai factory was built in 168 working days. No way that can be done in the US. The laws and regs in the US are simply too much a hurdle to bring back any large scale high school diploma factory jobs. If China/Asia doesn't grab them Mexico certainly will. Watch "American Factory" documentary...it's clear as day.
This is true. The company I work for opened a second plant in back of the yards. Sitting through updates on its construction was like Democrat Loony Tunes with all the hurdles and requirements they put up. They had to plant hundreds of trees and bushes in a commercial wasteland, had to hire expeditors to deal with permits, it went way over budget. Yes I don't see businesses clamoring over themselves to open factories in corrupt, knucklehead leftist areas.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 01-02-2021 at 10:14 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 08:52 AM

4,478 posts, read 7,914,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
As BRU67 mentioned the west side could use a lot more amenities. Tri-Taylor has developed a lot but there is nothing to do there. Little Village has a promising stretch with Cermak infrastructure and Lagunitas brewery but still needs more amenities. East Garfield has nothing west of the United Center and literally no restaurant/bar/coffee shop/gyms commercial strip to speak of.

The west side could also desperately use a Home Depot, Menards or Lowes that services the 290 corridor.
That stretch of Western Avenue between Flournoy and Ogden should be developed more given the relatively affluent demographic in Tri-Taylor now. It's been stubbornly stagnant but there was a coffee shop coming before the COVID took us. Let's hope that continues after this is over. Then there's of course the Gateway project on the east end of the neighborhood. Hopefully that will help too.

Fully agree on the Lagunitas sphere. That's well underway. Elsewhere in Little Village, there is a new big development to replace the Discount Mall at 26th and Albany. Supposedly a Target will go in there. That should help. 26th Street itself is pretty vibrant but it doesn't have the type of businesses you see Logan Square and Pilsen yet. But a coffee shop is planned at 26th and Drake, and that little restaurant that Morenos built at 26th and Ridgeway is pretty nice, and seems to be doing well, and drawing people from outside the neighborhood.

There are two huge pieces of vacant land at 31st and Kedzie. That used to be a manufacturing facility but it's since been leveled and now it's just a big lot. There's a lot of opportunity there.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:41 AM

6,322 posts, read 2,525,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
So automation does not necessarily have to result in loss of manufacturing jobs.
Sure, if you ignore roughly half a century worth of employment trends. The decline of the manufacturing employment sector will happen to China too, just as it happened in every other post-industrial economy before it.

Quote:
The bottom line is it is no longer strategically feasible to rely on China and other countries for manufacturing like we have. And Chicago face serious risks in so heavily relying on the professional economy and gentrification.

Our incoming Administration has promised to bring more manufacturing jobs back, and manufacturing jobs were growing steadily in the U.S. before the COVID. So it is indeed possible, and strategically it must be done.

I'm not saying it has to go back to 1957 levels of factory employment but we have to make it a point to continue to bring more of those jobs back here. Chicago has to make it a point to compete for them. It's not an all-or-nothing proposition. I'm talking about a segment of the economy. The bigger the better but you have to start somewhere.
Manufacturing is not an employment growth sector, period. Proposing it as a long-term solution to revitalize the west side is no more realistic than telling them "learn to code." This fetish people have for the return of one particular labor-intensive sector is just bizarre.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:43 AM

2,469 posts, read 946,728 times
I hope that businesses can go in those spots!!!

But if people are not being taught respect and control, then how do we know when some issue arises that "upsets" members of said area, that they won't go and loot the business?

I read an article where this pandemic has led to violence and the shootings we are seeing.

WHERE is the concept of choice and responsibility?!?

Again, I am all for trying to get into areas that are in need of jobs and an economic boost.

But is it safe to say that those areas had families living there during The Great Depression??? And at the same time were neighborhoods of Jewish people who were deemed lower on a cultural totem pole in a majority WASP country??

My point: we all HAVE to ensure values are being taught in our homes and communities: team work, empathy, etc.

Old 01-02-2021, 11:38 AM

160 posts, read 103,570 times
Quote:
That stretch of Western Avenue between Flournoy and Ogden should be developed more given the relatively affluent demographic in Tri-Taylor now. It's been stubbornly stagnant but there was a coffee shop coming before the COVID took us. Let's hope that continues after this is over. Then there's of course the Gateway project on the east end of the neighborhood. Hopefully that will help too.

Fully agree on the Lagunitas sphere. That's well underway. Elsewhere in Little Village, there is a new big development to replace the Discount Mall at 26th and Albany. Supposedly a Target will go in there. That should help. 26th Street itself is pretty vibrant but it doesn't have the type of businesses you see Logan Square and Pilsen yet. But a coffee shop is planned at 26th and Drake, and that little restaurant that Morenos built at 26th and Ridgeway is pretty nice, and seems to be doing well, and drawing people from outside the neighborhood.

There are two huge pieces of vacant land at 31st and Kedzie. That used to be a manufacturing facility but it's since been leveled and now it's just a big lot. There's a lot of opportunity there.
Speaking of the lot at 31st and Kedzie, I feel a development other than mixed income/affordable housing may lead to gentrification of that neighborhood.. Little Village is basically full of families renting/owned. While North Lawndale has outstanding potential with vacant land and beautiful foreclosed greystone buildings!

Old 01-02-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Sure, if you ignore roughly half a century worth of employment trends. The decline of the manufacturing employment sector will happen to China too, just as it happened in every other post-industrial economy before it.

Manufacturing is not an employment growth sector, period. Proposing it as a long-term solution to revitalize the west side is no more realistic than telling them "learn to code." This fetish people have for the return of one particular labor-intensive sector is just bizarre.
Nah, it's a sector we have to focus on growing. Period.

Old 01-02-2021, 12:20 PM

6,322 posts, read 2,525,337 times
Okay, well good luck with that.

Old 01-02-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Okay, well good luck with that.
Okay thanks! The new Administration is on our side, so hopefully we don't need much luck, just ideas to get it to Chicago...

Mobilize American manufacturing and innovation to ensure that the future is made in America, and in all of America. We’ve seen the importance of bringing home critical supply chains so that we aren’t dependent on other countries in future crises. But Biden believes we can’t stop there — he is releasing a plan today to build a strong industrial base and small-business-led supply chains to retain and create millions of good-paying union jobs in manufacturing and technology across the country.

https://joebiden.com/build-back-better/

This is a promise I expect to be kept.

Old 01-02-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideMillennial View Post
Speaking of the lot at 31st and Kedzie, I feel a development other than mixed income/affordable housing may lead to gentrification of that neighborhood.. Little Village is basically full of families renting/owned. While North Lawndale has outstanding potential with vacant land and beautiful foreclosed greystone buildings!
And a crime rate which matches that of Tijuana Mexico LOL. The reason the land is vacant is because everybody's fleeing! I do think the southeastern corner has a chance to gentrify but the secret's out and you'll have to fight Coastal investors for multi units.

Old 01-03-2021, 08:48 AM

76 posts, read 60,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
I hope that businesses can go in those spots!!!

But if people are not being taught respect and control, then how do we know when some issue arises that "upsets" members of said area, that they won't go and loot the business?

I read an article where this pandemic has led to violence and the shootings we are seeing.

WHERE is the concept of choice and responsibility?!?

Again, I am all for trying to get into areas that are in need of jobs and an economic boost.

But is it safe to say that those areas had families living there during The Great Depression??? And at the same time were neighborhoods of Jewish people who were deemed lower on a cultural totem pole in a majority WASP country??

My point: we all HAVE to ensure values are being taught in our homes and communities: team work, empathy, etc.
Exactly. It's all great to talk about employment, but that only works when the populace is employable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago