U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2021, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2,469 posts, read 946,728 times
Reputation: 1952

Advertisements

Chicagoisthebest, thank you for updating us on the new developments.

And all blessings and good fortune to those establishments!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2021, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Chicago, Little Village
4,478 posts, read 7,913,680 times
Reputation: 3393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoisthebest View Post
Pete’s fresh market opened on western and the west side has it first gifted program in Morton school of excellence.Also an aldi is in west Garfield park and a couple of years ago Westinghouse got a new building. In Far East Garfield around western there is a lot of new construction.
Pete's Fresh Market is in West Town and it's been there for years, at least since the summer of 2014 when I moved to Tri-Taylor. I'm pretty sure it was built to serve the growing affluence in Tri-Taylor and the West Loop. It does provide a nice shopping option for EGP, but EGP was not the intended target.

Western Avenue is not in EGP. Again, it's in West Town. And that development is being driven by the rapid expansion of the West Loop and Medical District, and the affluence north, south and east of it. But until EGP improves substantially, those who work in those job bases are going to pick lower crime areas to live in.

Now, young millennials and other investors are buying multi-units in EGP. That's very true, and they're paying a lot of money for them relative to the crime and lack of amenities (IMO). But, insofar as I can tell, they're not moving into those properties themselves. They are speculating. And speculation does not mean positive change, as dtcbnd03's article establishes. Perhaps as a result of this, there are some hipsters there (I know a few personally), but their numbers appear small and insufficient to spur the kind of redevelopment we'll need to rejuvenate such a dilapidated Community Area.

A gifted program isn't the same as new schools. But still, it is good to hear about a gifted program. I've always believed that magnet and gifted programs are a key in keeping good families from moving to the suburbs, which is problematic if you're trying for long term improvement.

But is this new or has it been there awhile? Morton is 89% African-American and way below the state average in all academic categories - 10% ELA proficiency, 7% math proficiency and 21% science proficiency per 2019 data. But, if there's an influx of educated families into EGP due to development, then that new gifted program will certainly be a plus. Maybe we'll get a Nettelhorst going there!

Aldi's are good. They do provide fresh food for people at lower cost. But I think that's been there awhile. There needs to be more grocery stores, but that probably will not come until the demographics start to turn up in terms of income levels.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2021, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Chicago, Little Village
4,478 posts, read 7,913,680 times
Reputation: 3393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
BRU67, good morning.

Yes, again, I truly feel if the said-community does not internally work TOGETHER to make their community cleaner AT LEAST, but certainly safer, it is not as likely that someone is going to want to take the chance to invest.

I applaud anyone that would, but if there is a higher propensity to have someone leave litter in front of your store/restaurant/etc., or broken bottles, or put graffiti on your wall or break a window, then that owner has to take on the responsibility to clean up others.

And that gets OLD rather quick....
And good day to you Master Jay! Yeah, the community area as currently constituted has been unable to establish a vibrant business community, or a very safe community for that matter. The crime rate is atrocious, with 62 homicides and 302 wounded in 2020. It has a murder rate rivaling that of the worst third-world cities in all the world - including Tijuana, Caracas, and St. Louis. And property crime is high there too, so there'd be a real risk that if you opened a nice little craft mayonnaise store or whatever, you'd get burglarized relatively quickly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2021, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2,469 posts, read 946,728 times
Reputation: 1952
BRU67, hello, Sir.

I tell you, as I was driving north along Green Bay Road, I marveled how nice the BUS STOPS are along that stretch going through the suburbs.

And I was sad as I negatively (and yet probably correct in my thinking) thought that to put these nice looking and wind-resisting bus stops in certain areas of the city, that they would probably be vandalized.

And you know what? It's not necessary to vandalize when you are presented with something nice: nice looking AND nice serving!

But unfortunately, people do not always appreciate what they have. It's like a relationship. Anyone with common sense is not going to get involved in a relationship with a person who does not appreciate others... You'd be setting yourself up for a potential toxic relationship.

Likewise, a person who wants to invest in opening a store or CREATING bus stops, is hesitant because you see the "signs" of the current situation, and how they are being treated.

AGAIN, do we see the importance of teaching self-love, teaching consideration of others and THEN encouraging and doing things like maintaining cleanliness.

Is what I am proposing impossible??? I say: NOT AT ALL!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2021, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Chicago, Little Village
4,478 posts, read 7,913,680 times
Reputation: 3393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
BRU67, hello, Sir.

I tell you, as I was driving north along Green Bay Road, I marveled how nice the BUS STOPS are along that stretch going through the suburbs.

And I was sad as I negatively (and yet probably correct in my thinking) thought that to put these nice looking and wind-resisting bus stops in certain areas of the city, that they would probably be vandalized.

And you know what? It's not necessary to vandalize when you are presented with something nice: nice looking AND nice serving!

But unfortunately, people do not always appreciate what they have. It's like a relationship. Anyone with common sense is not going to get involved in a relationship with a person who does not appreciate others... You'd be setting yourself up for a potential toxic relationship.

Likewise, a person who wants to invest in opening a store or CREATING bus stops, is hesitant because you see the "signs" of the current situation, and how they are being treated.

AGAIN, do we see the importance of teaching self-love, teaching consideration of others and THEN encouraging and doing things like maintaining cleanliness.

Is what I am proposing impossible??? I say: NOT AT ALL!
No, it's not impossible Master Jay. But it would require a deviation from the leftist - I won't use the word "liberal" because they're not liberal - narrative and asking and answering some hard questions and making some hard sacrifices. Thus far there has been an unwillingness to do this in U.S. cities and under most Federal administrations, and dtcbnd03's article represents yet another example of a deft deflective dance around the core problem. Around and around we will go until then.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2021, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2,469 posts, read 946,728 times
Reputation: 1952
BRU67, you can imagine as a Social Worker, obviously I am the type to want to be giving and helpful.

BUT, I am going to put my time and energy into what I believe is going to be welcomed and appreciated.

It is,as I say as a Tae Kwon Do teacher to my students: WE are in a relationship. And I shall give as much of myself as the teacher in this relationship as YOU are willing to give of yourself in this relationship.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2021, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Chicago, Little Village
4,478 posts, read 7,913,680 times
Reputation: 3393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
BRU67, you can imagine as a Social Worker, obviously I am the type to want to be giving and helpful.

BUT, I am going to put my time and energy into what I believe is going to be welcomed and appreciated.

It is,as I say as a Tae Kwon Do teacher to my students: WE are in a relationship. And I shall give as much of myself as the teacher in this relationship as YOU are willing to give of yourself in this relationship.
I "must spread some reputation around" before liking another of your posts, but good points!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2021, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2,469 posts, read 946,728 times
Reputation: 1952
BRU67, yes, go ahead and SPREAD that love and positivity on here!

It is exactly what the world needs more of!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2021, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Chicago
169 posts, read 37,709 times
Reputation: 55
BRU67, Pete’s fresh market is definitely not west town. I have been to that location definitely East Garfield park check the map. Far East Garfield park is getting more expensive though. Pilsen has seemed to gentrify east of Damen even though it looks “hood’’The gifted program at Morton is new.

Last edited by Chicagoisthebest; 01-18-2021 at 04:54 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2021, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Chicago, Little Village
4,478 posts, read 7,913,680 times
Reputation: 3393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoisthebest View Post
Pete’s fresh market is definitely not west town. I have been to that location definitely East Garfield park check the map. Far East Garfield park is getting more expensive though. Pilsen has seemed to gentrify east of Damen even though it looks “hood’’
The Pete's is not in East Garfield Park. It's actually in the Near West Side Community Area. I misspoke too, my bad!

https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...FIELD_PARK.pdf

https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/..._WEST_SIDE.pdf

Totally agree EGP is getting more expensive. I'm amazed at what people are paying for multi-units there. But as I said, real estate speculation does not equate to improvement. There's no tangible gentrification happening there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top