U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 02:54 PM
Status: "And just like that, Covid was gone." (set 10 days ago)

8,157 posts, read 7,060,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Should note that most that are open do social distancing, have plexiglass dividers between booths, take your temp before you are seated and require you to wear a mask when not in your seat. And some have gone as far as to install special ventilation systems.
thats probably the standard that i will go by. Plus the stats show that restaurants contribute to only 1.4% of covid.. whereas gatherings at home have like 15% or some huge amount like that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 04:26 PM

882 posts, read 489,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
thats probably the standard that i will go by. Plus the stats show that restaurants contribute to only 1.4% of covid.. whereas gatherings at home have like 15% or some huge amount like that.
Yeah it makes no sense to shut down bars / restaurants. Or forcing some of them to set up tent structures outside when they have plenty of windows to open and allow people to dine inside an existing structure. My favorite are the claustrophobic tiny plastic tents/domes all through the city like this....they don't do anything...just make people feel better:

Old 01-21-2021, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Yeah it makes no sense to shut down bars / restaurants. Or forcing some of them to set up tent structures outside when they have plenty of windows to open and allow people to dine inside an existing structure. My favorite are the claustrophobic tiny plastic tents/domes all through the city like this....they don't do anything...just make people feel better:

Do you know what it feels like inside one of those plastic igloos? is it the right temperature or anything (besides being claustraphobic). Does your hot food get cold when the servers bring you food back and forth from the restaurant - out to the cold - and then enter your igloo? What about it being in the street, what if a car loses control and/or does not see you sitting half way into the street? will the restaurant be liable when the car hits you?

I can just see the street on a cold snowy slushy Chicago winter, what happens is - they plow the streeets and shovel sidewalks and the snow blocks the sewers, sometimes it starts to melt and you get a thick puddle, so i can just see the servers step into that mush and puddles and drop your food all over the street, then the customer has to trudge thru slush, snow and ice and cold.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:14 PM

2,509 posts, read 965,877 times
ChicagoMeO, and THAT, my friend, is why I just seek out the restaurants that allow dining in.

It's not worth worrying that much about those igloo experiences. Seems like it wouldn't even be enjoyable.

Old 01-22-2021, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
ChicagoMeO, and THAT, my friend, is why I just seek out the restaurants that allow dining in.

It's not worth worrying that much about those igloo experiences. Seems like it wouldn't even be enjoyable.
so now D.C. mayor is magically reopening restaurants in D.C. magically covid disappears even though their numbers are not going down but up.

So it may be all a hoax all this time and so we're worrying for nothing. Restaurants are most likely as safe as they was last January.

Old 01-22-2021, 06:11 AM

ChicagoMeo, as was said in the Star Wars franchise: Fear leads to the dark side of the Force!

As was spoken by F.D.R.: We have nothing to fear, but fear itself!

Fear and anxiety, to a small degree, in human nature does help us be safe; yet when it reaches higher levels can actually cause us harm.

Follow your head and your heart. If you're hungry, go to a restaurant and heat to your head and hearts' desire.

As our esteemed colleagues have pointed out, these restaurants are taking the best precautions. If you truly felt they were not, you'd have the option to go walk out.

Old 01-24-2021, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post

Hi - so we here in illinois can go out of state, but we have to quaranteene for 10 days when coming back. how is it by you? that really makes it hard to leave the state and enjoy anything.. maybe thats changing though.

Old 01-24-2021, 06:33 PM

ChicagoMeO. How are you? My understanding is numbers of Covid are lowering here in Wisconsin. Most places here in southeastern Wisconsin are open.

The last week I went to The Shanty in Wadsworth and Kaiser's Pizza in Gurnee. Let me know if you make it up to Lake County!

Old 01-24-2021, 06:33 PM

5,758 posts, read 2,735,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
so now D.C. mayor is magically reopening restaurants in D.C. magically covid disappears even though their numbers are not going down but up.

So it may be all a hoax all this time and so we're worrying for nothing. Restaurants are most likely as safe as they was last January.
I just read that DC is opening up restaurants to 25% capacity based on metrics. Nationally, there has actually been a plateau of cases, although there are some major hotspots. LA has pretty much shutdown everything, so your tongue-in-cheek about COVID disappearing isn't true. I think with vaccine rollout people in non-hotspots are also starting to feel a little more comfortable with slowly opening things up.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I just read that DC is opening up restaurants to 25% capacity based on metrics. Nationally, there has actually been a plateau of cases, although there are some major hotspots. LA has pretty much shutdown everything, so your tongue-in-cheek about COVID disappearing isn't true. I think with vaccine rollout people in non-hotspots are also starting to feel a little more comfortable with slowly opening things up.
You know im being a little facetious to make a point. watch and see that things start to turn around, but watch and see if the positive cases are the same. coincidence or not? Politics guiding them or not? Seems funny that they are reopening now after the election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago