Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 07:17 AM

16 posts, read 59,565 times

Advertisements

I hate to be another person posting a "where should I live" question....but I've read all the threads and I just have a simple question regarding the best neighborhood for my price range...I may be moving to Chicago rather suddenly, so I need to narrow down my neighborhood list before this apartment search drives me crazy.

Here's the situation - I'm going to be working in the loop, so that gives me a lot of neighborhood options, public transportation-wise. However, my husband will be commuting to the north suburbs for work, so we'd like to live on the north side. I'll be working in the non-profit sector so we'd like to keep the rent low for the first year or two - $1000 or less unless utilities and parking are included (for a 1 bedroom)....but I also want to live in a neighborhood where its safe enough to go running by myself in the early mornings or early evenings. Last, but not least, my husband is very protective of his car and refuses to live anywhere that doesn't have off-stree parking.

Given those variables, do you have any suggestions on one or two neighborhoods where I can focus my apartment hunt?

Thanks a million!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 12:50 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Your request is kind of unique -- generally you are not going to find too many affordable places with offstreet parking. Similarly there are hardly any landlords that "throw in" any utilities except for maybe places that are 'quasi legal'.

Your best bet may be a "heard it through the grapevine" kind of thing with an older couple who lives in a building with one or two flats/garden apartment, odds are better that they'd have a garage. If you can help 'em out with a little lawn mowing or other maintenance they might knock down the rent a bit. In my experience there are still quite a few places like these in Norwood Park, Jefferson Park and Edison Park, but you are certainly not going to find 'em on-line, maybe not even the 'regular' newspaper. Best is "I know a guy who knows a widow who won't rent to nobody she doesn't know". Second best is to check out bulletin boards at the grocery stores up there, church news and the smaller papers.

These locations are pretty much ideal for commuting to the north burbs and you can take Metra or the Blue line into downtown with ease.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:04 PM

16 posts, read 59,565 times
Thanks for your response. As for the utilities issue - I just mentioned that as a factor in my price range, as in I would consider paying more than $1000 for rent if heat were included.

Is it the general consensus that I'm crazy to hope for finding a place with off-street parking? And if so, what would be the best neighborhood within the above price/safety/location parameters for finding a place with easy to find street parking?

Old 05-06-2008, 01:13 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
It is not impossible at all, in a high rise building they can charge a lot for offstreet parking. In building that back up to the El there might be a paved pad with designated spaces. More than a few funky low rise/mid rise condos have offstreet parking too.

In the grand scheme of "any old apartment" in the city you are not going to find many that are cheap and have off street parking.

Heat is one of those things that if it is included it is a real good bet that the place is older and has hot water heat and you probably are "saving" a minimal amount, probably less than $50 per month when you average out the warm months...

In my experience if you want safe, quiet, good commute downtown and north 'burbs with decent affordability your best bet is the areas I mentioned, and the best deal, with a offstreet parking/garage is going to be with an older couple/widow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago