Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 08:22 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,584,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The one he is talking about is Walker Brother's Pancake House and it is officially in Wilmette.

Walker Bros. The Original Pancake House

Unfortunately, it is only open for limited dining atm.
***Open for Limited Outdoor Dining (weather permitting) & Curbside/Carryout Service at ALL locations!***

It has the best Dutch Baby Pancake.

http://www.walkerbros.net/Menuwilgv2020.pdf

The Stained Glass Windows are fabulous.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...-securebrowser
I was close!! i said it was on Central Ave, so its a little bit north of that on Green Bay Rd. Lol i am just validating myself haha

OK back to topic, there are alot of places i never visited in Illinois, but am finding out just now.

so i am told that the St Charles, Geneva and Batavia area is really sweet. so i consider that perhaps under-rated. A few others underrated -

Volo, (has a wonderful car and antique museum);
Wauconda - has a wonderful lake to enjoy;
Long Grove - used to have a thriving downtown, some shoppes are gone but some thrive.
Joliet - downtown by the river is cool
Lockport - old fashioned town good for sightseeing
Pontiac - route 66 town, has a route 66 museum - its an old gas station with memorabilia
Savannah, IL - all the way west on Route 64 (North Ave) cute place where i went camping nearby, they have a restaurant where everyone - even strangers - sit at a communal table and have lunch/dinner, etc. seems like a Mayberry kind of town.

Overrated - Naperville, boring except for the River Walk
North Shore - beautiful mansions, but seems kinda classist (east coast social register way of thinking) JUST MY OPINION

Last edited by ChicagoMeO; 01-12-2021 at 08:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 07:22 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Overrated
Mount Prospect
Arlington Heights
Schaumburg
Downers Grove

Underrated
Palos Park
Palos Heights
Oak Lawn
Evergreen Park
Lisle
Riverside
I also agree that this is a solid list. Tried to rep but couldn't rep again. Palos Heights and Palos Park are almost never mentioned and almost invisible, but are so very nice and Palos Park is a rarity with its woods and hills. I would throw in Lemont in the mix as underrated as well.

Some say the North Shore is overrated, but I would say some it it is, and some is not. West Wilmette, and West Winnetka for that matter, are. Some west burbs like Hinsdale, Western Springs, Glen Ellyn and Geneva/St. Charles are soo much nicer without the hype, and in some sense are underrated while still well regarded.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:06 AM

720 posts, read 1,084,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I also agree that this is a solid list. Tried to rep but couldn't rep again. Palos Heights and Palos Park are almost never mentioned and almost invisible, but are so very nice and Palos Park is a rarity with its woods and hills. I would throw in Lemont in the mix as underrated as well.

Some say the North Shore is overrated, but I would say some it it is, and some is not. West Wilmette, and West Winnetka for that matter, are. Some west burbs like Hinsdale, Western Springs, Glen Ellyn and Geneva/St. Charles are soo much nicer without the hype, and in some sense are underrated while still well regarded.
Agree with Lemont, but you missed Batavia on your list with Geneva and STC.

Old 01-13-2021, 08:15 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,180,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post

Thank you. I almost added Lemont as well but removed it thinking people would just read it as me propping up mainly overlooked southwest suburbs.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:03 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Thank you. I almost added Lemont as well but removed it thinking people would just read it as me propping up mainly overlooked southwest suburbs.
I love Palos Park. There are lots of great midcentury homes there and the greenery there with the woods and hills is amazing.

I think that Lisle and Westmont are often underrated/overlooked within the Western suburbs. The cost is low in both places and they have great schools.

Old 01-13-2021, 05:35 PM

223 posts, read 170,335 times
People talk about Clarendon hills and hins dale
North shore is talked about a lot because it is deserved to be talked about

Old 01-16-2021, 10:26 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
I love Evanston and Oak Park. They're quaint, urban/walkable, have well-defined downtowns, have loads of character, and are close to the city. One feels a definite sense of place.

I worked in Hoffman Estates for four years, and to me it's very overrated. Just a huge blob of sprawl with no discernible center of town. (At least Schaumburg has Woodfield Mall, along with just a hint of history at its town center, at Schaumburg and Roselle Roads.)

As for Naperville, I do love the charming, walkable downtown, but have a misgiving because the shops and restaurants there are mostly chains. That might possibly be why some deem it overrated. (I did like the Egg Harbor Cafe, though... I'm assuming it's still there?)

I can't offer a comprehensive list of overrated vs. underrated suburbs as my knowledge of them is too limited. I never really got around to exploring the suburbs in depth during my 20 years in Chicago.

Old 01-16-2021, 10:31 AM

255 posts, read 133,410 times
Merica=YUCk!

Old 02-06-2021, 04:45 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoisthebest View Post
I would not say the whole north shore is overrated but Evanston and Skokie are.
I disagree with what you say about Evanston and Skokie, but to each their own. I will say that for certain places like Winnetka and Glenview, they never jumped out to me much.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, so I will for underrated ones. Blue Island definitely always felt underrated, and has a LOT of nice historic buildings there. And I'd also say that Elmwood Park, Berwyn, and Riverside seem a little underrated IMO. Brookfield is also nice, as well.

Speaking of Long Grove, I really don't know why they put one of those metal barriers(where its height would equal the one for that covered bridge) completely over the road before you hit that covered bridge of its height on each side, so that trucks that are too tall to drive through that bridge don't keep crashing into the top part of it. And that such trucks are stopped, before they would drive through that bridge and damage it. That has VERY long bugged me, each time these incidents are reported about on the news.

Old 02-06-2021, 08:14 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,362,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Speaking of Long Grove, I really don't know why they put one of those metal barriers(where its height would equal the one for that covered bridge) completely over the road before you hit that covered bridge of its height on each side, so that trucks that are too tall to drive through that bridge don't keep crashing into the top part of it. And that such trucks are stopped, before they would drive through that bridge and damage it. That has VERY long bugged me, each time these incidents are reported about on the news.
Yeah. That’s incredible. The historic bridge is knocked out of commission for two years after being hit. They repair it and open it up in August and within the first week it gets hit twice! And 13 times in all since then. Trucks and school buses. Definitively needs what you are suggesting. It will not be pretty but it will stop all of the damage. But I would set the barrier and inch or two lower just to take into account any bumps in the road or bridge deck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago