U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 10:55 PM

198 posts, read 46,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriesOfTubes View Post
I have been looking to purchase a car from a car dealer and I was wondering if it would be a hassle or a lot of extra paperwork to buy a car in Southeast Wisconsin or Northwest Indiana and then try to bring it into Chicago. Would I incur any extra expenses or hassle versus buying the car from a dealer in Illinois?
I have done this in WI, IN and MI. Cars are def cheaper in my experience and they're more willing to negotiate especially if its been on the lot for more than 30 days. They're more nicer and honest.

Its been a headache dealing with scumbag chicago area car salesman. I will never buy cars in Chicago. Only problem I had was that I thought that 5 hour drive would fly by but it didn't. Many times I saved couple grand so small price to pay. Always bought at major dealerships they had all of the papers ready for me previsously negotiated over the phone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 10:58 PM

2,553 posts, read 1,641,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDavid View Post
I have done this in WI, IN and MI. Cars are def cheaper in my experience and they're more willing to negotiate especially if its been on the lot for more than 30 days. They're more nicer and honest.

Its been a headache dealing with scumbag chicago area car salesman. I will never buy cars in Chicago. Only problem I had was that I thought that 5 hour drive would fly by but it didn't. Many times I saved couple grand so small price to pay. Always bought at major dealerships they had all of the papers ready for me previsously negotiated over the phone.
I got my rim repaired for $230. Avoid Motor Werks Mercedes.

Old 02-04-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I got my rim repaired for $230. Avoid Motor Werks Mercedes.
Yeah they were recently purchased by Ziegler group so no longer motor werks. I used to go to a shop in Highland Park when I had low profile rims(never again) Used them twice, very good.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDavid View Post
Yeah they were recently purchased by Ziegler group so no longer motor werks. I used to go to a shop in Highland Park when I had low profile rims(never again) Used them twice, very good.
I stopped going to Hoffman Estates and went to Barrington after the change, and it was worse, quite frankly. I had the rim fixed at Wheel Tech in Highland Park. Maybe it is the same place? AG complaint opened. STEVE DRAKE, "fixed operations manager" and scumbag of the century, left a voicemail on my phone. When I called back, I hear silence and then "Ugh...it's you..." I'm like, hello??? After the phone call where they doubled-down on they're not going to accept responsibility for a rim that ended up craked after they switched out the tires (well, they offered to split the cost at $2k for a new rim...lol...this rim can be found for $800 new online), I told him not to speak to customers that way. He replied saying that he was talking to one of his workers who was leaving the room. Chicagoland dealers are trash. It's always an adversarial relationship.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I stopped going to Hoffman Estates and went to Barrington after the change, and it was worse, quite frankly. I had the rim fixed at Wheel Tech in Highland Park. Maybe it is the same place? AG complaint opened. STEVE DRAKE, "fixed operations manager" and scumbag of the century, left a voicemail on my phone. When I called back, I hear silence and then "Ugh...it's you..." I'm like, hello??? After the phone call where they doubled-down on they're not going to accept responsibility for a rim that ended up craked after they switched out the tires (well, they offered to split the cost at $2k for a new rim...lol...this rim can be found for $800 new online), I told him not to speak to customers that way. He replied saying that he was talking to one of his workers who was leaving the room. Chicagoland dealers are trash. It's always an adversarial relationship.
Lol yeah, never fails! You can also file a bbb complaint as well. I recently had issues with Verizon and filed a bbb complaint and they worked with me on that after I filed.

Always something. Nobody plays it straight anymore not that they ever did. We just didn’t know about it.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Yes that’s the same place. No complaints from me.

Old 02-23-2021, 04:37 PM

409 posts, read 525,725 times
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Illinois tax your car sales depending on your residence, not where you buy it?

Old 02-24-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Illinois tax your car sales depending on your residence, not where you buy it?
It is mostly based on where you register the vehicle, but where you purchase has a marginal impact on the overall tax expense.

Old 02-24-2021, 03:29 PM

18 posts, read 5,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
They do but I would rather have the dealer collect taxes from me at the point of sale and then remit them to the applicable taxing jurisdictions versus having to figure out how to pay them on my own to each jurisdiction.

Old 03-04-2021, 12:13 PM

25 posts, read 3,445 times
No and usually you have the choice - you can pay taxes there or you pay taxes when the vehicle is registered with the state of residence so you can purchase and pay taxes later (at least that has how it has been for me). Unlike some of the other posters I personally have found better deals in Chicagoland given the volume some of the dealerships deal with vs. outside where they may not have the vehicle turnover. I think from a deals perspective, higher volume dealers have more flexibility in pricing especially with models that do not necessarily sell well in the area (pickup trucks in urban areas, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago