U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 09:37 AM

2,553 posts, read 1,641,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by medaryman View Post
No and usually you have the choice - you can pay taxes there or you pay taxes when the vehicle is registered with the state of residence so you can purchase and pay taxes later (at least that has how it has been for me). Unlike some of the other posters I personally have found better deals in Chicagoland given the volume some of the dealerships deal with vs. outside where they may not have the vehicle turnover. I think from a deals perspective, higher volume dealers have more flexibility in pricing especially with models that do not necessarily sell well in the area (pickup trucks in urban areas, etc.).
It totally depends on the dealership's own business model, the brand, and the particular model. While higher-volume dealers do usually have more competitive pricing, there are many higher-volume dealers that are still higher than smaller dealerships.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 9 times
1) Still Laughing!! In April 1980, my St Paul, Mn based employer bought a new company vehicle in St Louis for our downtown Chicago office (for my local business use). It was obvious "St Paul" was attempting to skirt the tax. They had the Buick driven to Chicago by one of those transit (We drive it) firms. Upon possession, the window crank was broken and the trans acted like it had been hard driven. Then I went to the DMV in Chicago to register it and you have to bring the sales invoice, of course!! DMV clerk stated "No plates until the Illinois Sales Tax was paid." LOL. So whomever in St Paul dreamed up the savings for this deal probably had egg on his face! If I recall, the tax was about $400 then.

2) Wife got new 2008 Subaru which we still drive. We live 150 miles from Chicago in another state. So where does the local dealer here get the desired vehicle? From a Chicago dealership.

PS No, it was not a "Save on purchase cost" As a Fleet purchaser, my home office could have bought the vehicle in Chicago and got a similar price as that in St. Louis. And the same talk went around in those circles/times as well....buy a vehicle in another state and save tax!!! Yeah, right, like my opening comment, I am still LOL.

Last edited by REDDKATH; Today at 01:34 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago