U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 08:53 AM

328 posts, read 320,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideMillennial View Post
Agreed! I've noticed Bridgeport & Mckinley Park growing with Asian Population. To my surprise, I've noticed a trend in Douglas also. I wonder how far South East & West the population is headed?
In the article I linked in my earlier reply, there’s Asian population growth all the way down Archer until you get to Clearing. Generally speaking, though I think anywhere around Midway is going to be slower to attract the Asian population. You also have the population growing all the way down the southern lakefront to South Shore, but Hyde Park is the last stop with an above average (5+%) percentage.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 11:33 AM

4,121 posts, read 7,904,220 times
Asians make up a plurality in Bridgeport. I can see it surpassing 50% in this decade. Mckinley Park may reach 35-40%( where Bridgeport is currently).

In other community areas, what I noticed is that Asians( East and South) tend to move in communities that also attract others, so less possibility of them forming a majority. West Ridge attracts Middle Easterners, blacks, Africans, and latinos too. The near west and south side appeals to the professional class and college educated, though Asians make up close to or at a quarter of the population in both.

Old 01-26-2021, 12:48 PM

614 posts, read 247,809 times
There has been some movement of Chinese from Armour Square (Chinatown) to Brighton Park. This is a logical pattern, as Archer Ave. traverses both neighborhoods.

I'm in Brighton Park a few times per month, and have noticed a fairly large number of Chinese speaking passengers riding on the Archer Ave. bus (CTA route 62). Many of them seem to exit the bus at the various stops in Brighton Park.

Until recently, the population of Brighton Park was heavily Hispanic, as well as having some residents of Lithuanian or Polish descent.

Old 01-26-2021, 02:52 PM

197 posts, read 45,339 times
I think Brighton park will be Asian. Kelly is already one of the high schools with most Asians. Bridgeport is already really Asian.

Old 01-26-2021, 04:08 PM

2,523 posts, read 970,633 times
As a student of Tae Kwon Do, a Korean martial art, one of the Masters would take us to Koreatown, starting in about 1998.

Over the years, I saw how it became less Korean, as the Koreans started moving north from Lawrence to Lincoln Avenue, and then more north to the suburbs.

From what I read, their Lawrence Avenue heyday was in the 1980s. I did attend a few Korean Fests on Bryn Mawr, as well as in Skokie.

I came all the way from Milwaukee with several of my students, a couple of years ago, to put on a Korean Tae Kwon Do demonstration at Skokie's Festival of Cultures!

Old 01-27-2021, 01:04 PM

62 posts, read 15,246 times
Speaking of Albany Park Koreans...Cafe Orient 33 is closed? Dang...

Old 01-27-2021, 01:06 PM

Manson Lamps, good day!

Café Orient 33? I never even heard of it.

I'm sorry to hear that it is closing, for you, however.

Old 01-27-2021, 01:15 PM

Good day to you, master jay. Don't think it was too old but it was around for a few years now, off lawrence and kedzie. Good wing spot...

Old 01-27-2021, 01:21 PM

Manson Lamps, back in about 1998, our place was called Seo Hae Kwan. It was on Lawrence and... I believe, Central Park Avenue. It has changed hand a few times, and has been a few different things.

After closing, my go-to place had been San Soo Gab San on Western and Berwyn. Thant place started off looking very hole-in-wall-ish, but over the years has changed its look, both internal and external. Still, my favorite Korean place.

As you can see, Lawrence Avenue, in Albany Park, still is known as Seoul Drive. And there is still plenty of Korean-based businesses. However, I am not certain in this day and age that the residents are Koreans. But for what it's worth, it's as much a "Koreatown" as Taylor Street is "Little Italy."

Regarding Asian neighborhoods, Chinatown is truly a residential AND business-type Chinese part of the city. AND GROWING!!

Old 01-27-2021, 01:28 PM

Yea there's quite a few different groups that live around there now - I don't think it could be classified as an area belonging to any one. Definitely more of a "real" neighborhood than Taylor street though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago