Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 06:33 AM

187 posts, read 185,164 times

Advertisements

Out of 77 Chicago community areas, only 1, Armour Square is majority Asian. Will that ever change, why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 06:39 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
WestSideMillenial, well SURE. The Asian population seems very present in neighboring Bridgeport! And THAT is probably just the start of it!

Old 01-26-2021, 06:49 AM

I agree with WestSideMillenial. Every year I go to visit one of my favorite parts of town, the Croatian and Sicilian area near 28th and Princeton, I see less of a Sicilian presence and more Asian presence.

It is what it is.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:22 AM

187 posts, read 185,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
WestSideMillenial, well SURE. The Asian population seems very present in neighboring Bridgeport! And THAT is probably just the start of it!
Agreed! I've noticed Bridgeport & Mckinley Park growing with Asian Population. To my surprise, I've noticed a trend in Douglas also. I wonder how far South East & West the population is headed?

Old 01-26-2021, 07:27 AM

474 posts, read 530,005 times
I agree with Master Jay that Bridgeport is the most likely candidate. Already more than 40% Asian and growing (pre-COVID). That being said COVID definitely put a damper on immigration and worsened the US’ image in China. So, it might take a little longer than anticipated, but long term I think Bridgeport will definitely push past 50%.

I think a more realistic threshold to set, and one that might be a more interesting conversation, is which community areas can cross 25% Asian. Going by CMAP numbers, McKinley Park averaged just below 25% from 2014 to 2018 and is likely higher than that now. Similarly The Near South Side averaged 21% Asian from 2014-2018, which seems to have been driven by a lot of the new construction in the South Loop. The Near West Side was at 19% (tech boom, anyone?) and the Loop proper was at 17%.

It seems most likely that the next communities to get to this number will be Chinatown/Loop-adjacent. There are a few exceptions - West Ridge, where Devon Ave is, was 22% Asian; but I’m not sure if that community is growing at all as it has been well-established for several decades now and seems to be poaching businesses to the suburbs. Other exceptions: Hyde Park and Douglas around the university campuses. But once again, COVID has thrown a wrench in things and there’s no telling when the international student population in these areas will fully recover. Lastly, Albany Park on the N side is making steady gains again after years of decline in its Korean population.

EDIT: this NPR article has a visualisation of which neighborhoods are gaining the most Asians. https://www.npr.org/local/309/2019/0...-size-and-race

Last edited by garyjohnyang; 01-26-2021 at 07:41 AM..

Old 01-26-2021, 07:37 AM

68 posts, read 53,551 times
I'd think West Ridge is too diverse to see an outright Asian majority, at least in the the foreseeable future. I don't see Douglas or Bronzeville getting there either frankly.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:37 AM

WestSideMillenial, good morning!

And true, up until recently, McKinley Park has had a significant Hispanic population, and Douglas an African-American population?

Old 01-26-2021, 07:41 AM

Manson Lamps, good morning. And good call on your observation.

I guess I was originally thinking of an EAST Asian population when I read WestSideMillenial's post.

But you are correct: Indian/Pakistani, etc. are categorized as ASIANS as well. And there is definitely a large population in the West Ridge area. I'm not sure the Jewish population is going to relocate, as they have shared that area, I believe since beginning in the 1970s or 1980s...

Also, I do not think the Vietnamese population in the Argyle area is going to explode and predominate in that area.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:45 AM

garyjohnyang, good morning.

I think your analysis on Covid is correct, as Covid has slowed MANY things down, especially the business growth!

My understanding is that Bridgeport has been a rather well known Irish community. I don't know too much of an anti-Asian sentiment from that community.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:47 AM

68 posts, read 53,551 times
morning Master Jay. Regarding Argyle...no. While the Vietnamese community may dominate the commercial strip of Argyle between Broadway and Sheridan as well as a block or two up and down Broadway, they're nowhere near a majority or even plurality (including any other Asian groups) when considering who actually lives around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago