U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 02:08 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,915,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
BOBNCHI part 2....

I've never been to Jackson Park. I've read of the Japanese Osaka Gardens, but have never been.

Garfield Park. Many times I've gone to their Conservatory. Great times and memories.

Douglas Park I only know from driving by. Once I rode my bicycle through it en route to Little Village.

Columbus Park. Drove through it once, when I decided it was time for me to branch off and start exploring west side neighborhoods. I just don't remember being blown away by that one.

Thanks again for sharing, my friend. Have a great day, as best as this weather gives us.
If Columbus Park didn't impress you a lot, you should go by the Refectory Building, along with walking into the garden area just to the south of there. I think Columbus Park IMO is one of the nicer neighborhood parks not along the lakefront, and due to its location sometimes gets slept upon by others. It's too bad when I-290 was constructed decades ago, that a few acres of the parkland that once was within Columbus Park was taken away. On a side note even though I'm not into golf, the golf course at Columbus does look pretty well maintained upon first glance. Just as a note before or after your Columbus Park visit, there is a pretty nice strip of art galleries, shops, places to eat, etc. on Harrison Ave just west of Austin Ave, on the Oak Park side. And not too far away there are some other good places such as One Lake Brewery(southwest corner of Lake and Austin, they took over a former bank building), and Midway Park Ave is a VERY nice east to west street of historic houses just north and east of Lake and Austin. Also Race Ave(one block north), also is another east to west street with a lot of nice historic homes. Note both Midway Park and Race are on the Chicago side of the border in the Austin neighborhood, and not Oak Park. Be sure to cross Waller Ave(just east of where Midway Park has a cul-de-sac and ends), and say hi to the goats if they are out in the yard across the street from the church that's on the southwest corner of Midway Park and Waller, besides just past that cul-de-sac.

And besides the Conservatory, Garfield Park also has a pretty nice park fieldhouse, just south of the Green Line L tracks. Believe it or not, that fieldhouse used to house one of the regional headquarters of the Chicago Park District.

Not sure if others have mentioned it yet, but Jackson Park is pretty nice as well. Sherman Park also is nice and historic too, though I get the sense that park and neighborhood has seen better days. I.e. there was a former church just north of Sherman Park that got deconstructed, and reconstructed in one of the north suburbs(I think either Lindenhurst or Antioch) which used to stand at 52nd and Throop.

Other parks that I remember are nice include Warren Park(like Columbus it also has a golf course, and interestingly enough upon historic research I did discovered Warren used to be the site of Edgewater Country Club), Indian Boundary, Welles, Horner, Portage, Riis(btw this park's name is pronounced like Reese, yes like if you're saying actress Reese Witherspoon's first name), Humboldt, Douglas, McKinley, Marquette(too bad the park district removed its former Rose Garden, when I recently looked up historic pics of this park), and Big Marsh Park(between Pullman and Hegewisch). The 3 nature preserves that CPD runs are nice too, which are Paulmisano Nature Preserve in Bridgeport, West Ridge Nature Preserve(carved out from part of Rosehill Cemetery that this cemetery wasn't using), and North Park Nature Center.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 08:37 AM

2,517 posts, read 967,997 times
SonySegaTendo617, good morning.

WOW! You have a lot of nominations. Thank you.

I drove past Columbus Park maybe once in 2020, and did not give it much look. I think after reading your review, however, I will explore it more so. And apparently from all sides of the park!

I did drive through Garfield Park, southbound, once, a couple years ago. I am hoping the Conservatory will open for 2021.

Yes, Jackson Park was mentioned. I, too, commented that I really need to take a trip there to check out the Japanese Gardens!!

I don't recall anyone mentioning Sherman Park, but it is another big park, I can see!!… and you really know your park history!!!

Warren, YES< I rode my bike through it a couple years ago, and I always see it when I am driving to Indian Boundary.

Thank you again for all the park shout outs!!

Old 02-03-2021, 01:26 PM

Good afternoon, my children and I love turtles.

We love the turtles in the pond at Indian Boundary Park, as well as a few we have seen in North Park Village Nature Center.

Of all these great parks that have been mentioned by others, do any other parks have lagoons where you have seen a lot of turtles?

Thank you.

Old 02-03-2021, 05:27 PM

613 posts, read 247,510 times
My nomination for favorite park is Jackson Park.

This park was developed as the host site for The World's Fair of 1893. The event is memorialized with the statue, 'State of the Republic.'

The Museum of Science and Industry building and the Japanese Garden trace their origins to that fair. Jackson Park contains trails, playing fields, a beach, a golf course, and a boat harbor. Its gymnasium also has a fitness center.

One interesting feature is the koi pond. This is located within the garden and provides a serene setting.

l certainly hope that none of the aforementioned offerings of Jackson Park will be impacted by the Obama Presidential Library.

Old 02-03-2021, 08:53 PM

Nearwest, thank you. I'm serious I still want to see the Japanese Osaka Pond!

I hope by Spring/Summer of 2021 we have normalcy again!

I know we are all ready!

Old 02-06-2021, 05:16 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,915,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
SonySegaTendo617, good morning.

WOW! You have a lot of nominations. Thank you.

I drove past Columbus Park maybe once in 2020, and did not give it much look. I think after reading your review, however, I will explore it more so. And apparently from all sides of the park!

I did drive through Garfield Park, southbound, once, a couple years ago. I am hoping the Conservatory will open for 2021.

Yes, Jackson Park was mentioned. I, too, commented that I really need to take a trip there to check out the Japanese Gardens!!

I don't recall anyone mentioning Sherman Park, but it is another big park, I can see!!… and you really know your park history!!!

Warren, YES< I rode my bike through it a couple years ago, and I always see it when I am driving to Indian Boundary.

Thank you again for all the park shout outs!!
You're welcome, for those suggestions. Also one more I kinda want to visit, but haven't yet is the Auburn Park Lagoon/Winneconna Parkway area. It's just north of 79th St, and Vincennes. Here's a street view look, where you can explore that area more for yourself: https://goo.gl/maps/bZEMC1VRbUtFGFSo9

Old 02-06-2021, 08:47 AM

SONYSegaTendo617, you're taking me further south! And I appreciate that because I really need to take that drive!

Have a great day! Stay warm!!

Old 02-07-2021, 12:03 PM
Status: "And just like that, Covid was gone." (set 11 days ago)

8,160 posts, read 7,064,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
You're welcome, for those suggestions. Also one more I kinda want to visit, but haven't yet is the Auburn Park Lagoon/Winneconna Parkway area. It's just north of 79th St, and Vincennes. Here's a street view look, where you can explore that area more for yourself: https://goo.gl/maps/bZEMC1VRbUtFGFSo9
If you ever watch on the PBS Geoffrey Behr's tours of Chicago, you'd see a lot of things. I think that exact pond is what he features on the Chicago By Air, i never knew there was a big pond like that and i think that was it.

If you ever get a chance to watch it on PBS (Channel 11 here in chicago) you can get a really good view of many interesting chicago sites.

Old 02-07-2021, 12:45 PM

194 posts, read 44,388 times
Another great park is Gompers park wetlands on foster & Pulaski on the southwest corner just south of the river. There are two pounds and it is similar to north park.

Old 02-07-2021, 12:49 PM

Gompers Park Wetlands?? Maybe I can find turtles in their ponds?!?

Thank you for the suggestion. I've never gone in that part of the park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago