U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 03:45 PM

2,482 posts, read 949,207 times

Advertisements

Chicagoisthebest, oh yes Sir, I had a good workout today. I left work early a couple hours to get home and shovel. There were parts up to my knees. But hey, as your name says: Chicago is the best... we choose to live here, and we deal with the occasional seasonal nonsense.

Ok. Horner Park. Yes, I've driven past it. I think I drove my bike past it. I read they have a bike trail of sorts. Almost a broken connection from the somewhat nearby beginning of the North Shore Trail ( or END, depending on which way you are coming from!). This trail goes all the way to a park in Evanston, near McCormick (aka Kedzie) and Green Bay Road. I've ridden that several times, and introduced my Milwaukee bicycle aficionado friends to it as well.

A bit further south of Horner there is another park near Belmont. They put up a nice brewery and a canoe launching area. I took my kids last summer. We saw turtles and birds. It was great!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 03:55 PM

8 posts, read 5,557 times
Gross Park in a Lincoln Square is my jam. Also, River Park is dope.

Old 01-26-2021, 04:03 PM

PoorAccountant2012, hello. Nice to meet you. And thank you for sharing.

You, too, mentioned one of my favorite areas: Lincoln Square.

But Gross Park? I'd have to look up which one that is.

River Park! Ab-so-lute-ly!! It was the 2nd park I ever took my kids to go swimming, several years ago (The first park was Wrightwood Park. I'm waiting for someone else to mention it!). River Park has the best splash pad of all parks I've been to, in the city. Also, a great playground.

Old 01-26-2021, 04:55 PM
Status: "And just like that, Covid was gone." (set 3 days ago)

8,141 posts, read 7,035,255 times
I like Portage Park for their outdoor pool! thats 5300 w Irving Park Rd.

Probably the best is Lincoln Park because its by the lake, and has a lot of stuff, like on Montrose Beach is the what is called the "Magic Hedge" because birds flock there and its cool to watch. also Lincoln Park Zoo, etc.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:21 PM

ChicagoMeO, thank you for sharing!

I rode my bike through Portage Park in summer. They were reconstructing along the north end of the park. It looked different from when I first went there, maybe 3 years ago. I've only gone there 5 times, at most.

Old 01-26-2021, 06:07 PM

182 posts, read 38,628 times
Portage park is fun I have been there a million times. I saw in portage park they made a soccer area on long and berteau.

Old 01-26-2021, 06:15 PM

Ok. Another favorite favorite park: North Park Village Center, near Pulaski and Peterson.

You won't even know you're in the city! I've had deer get close to me. My kids and I brought our turtles down to their Turtle Club, and ours won the turtle races!

We've seen deer, frogs, snakes, etc. It is very peaceful and enjoyable!

Old 01-26-2021, 06:47 PM

182 posts, read 38,628 times
I really like north park I always see deer there and they have soccer and gymnastics. There are always these little houses made of sticks. Last time I went there I saw these really aggressive geese.

Old 01-26-2021, 06:59 PM

Chicagoisthebest, the last time I went to North Park Village Center, I found a huge garter snake who had just clamped his mouth on a large toad.... I saved the toad.

When I told people that story, some were happy I saved the toad. Others were bothered I made a hungry snake stay hungry.

Oh well. You can't make everyone happy in this world!

Old 01-26-2021, 08:08 PM
Status: "And just like that, Covid was gone." (set 3 days ago)

8,141 posts, read 7,035,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoisthebest View Post
Portage park is fun I have been there a million times. I saw in portage park they made a soccer area on long and berteau.
when i was little, portage park seemed so big, and they have winding roads where it was fun to ride your bike on. you went in and out and around and it was really cool. that pool was an Olympic pool where Mark Spitz swam in. (olympics winner). Plus they had an indoor pool which reminded me of my high school pool, but if you really wanted to swim in winter you could. i remember how wet cement smelled in there lol

didn't they have a little hot dog vendor that walked by with his push cart there? tamales, hot dogs, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago