U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 10:18 PM

2,711 posts, read 913,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
cost a couple hundred dollars a day to keep someone in jail. How many days should society keep someone locked up who took your $10000 vehicle. (at $1400 a week)
How about we co-opt a little bit of Singapore justice, and raise a few welts on the keester of a repeat offender with a cane? Low cost, and can be intensified with recidivism. If we can no longer jail people because of cost, there's got to be some way to inhibit their nefarious behavior, which if left uninhibited, will likely grow in frequency and intensity.

How about letting all the rapists out, since it costs a lot to keep them incarcerated as well? Got any daughters or sisters?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 08:18 AM

9,904 posts, read 14,879,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Carjacking = capital punishment. That would be a first step.
It is if you pick the wrong victim.

Old 02-08-2021, 08:25 AM

9,904 posts, read 14,879,270 times
We should really create a society where the criminals live in fear and not the law abiding citizens. When the law abiding citizens are living in fear that is a massive failure in the core mission of government but that is nothing new is the kakistocracy that is Illinois.

kak·i·sto·cra·cy
/kakəˈstäkrəsē/
noun
government by the least suitable or competent citizens of a state.
"the danger is that this will reduce us to kakistocracy"
a state or society governed by its least suitable or competent citizens.

Old 02-08-2021, 08:55 AM

2,502 posts, read 959,045 times
Good morning, well we know that corporal punishment does not STOP crimes from happening, or otherwise Singapore, for example, would not need to keep a Caner on standby.

So, does corporal punishment curb crime? I do not have a stat in front of me, but an educated guess would hypothesize so.

So who would be the type of person who would commit crimes despite there being capital punishment, corporal punishment, incarcerations, tickets, etc.?: The people who do not view these as deterrents because

They don't care about their OWN lives, so take the life or property of another holds no impact
Going to jail is a better and safer place than out on the streets
Going to jail is a positive because it gets you the street cred that can benefit you when you get released

These are reasons I say we need to have counseling programs and alternative to gang programs to build self-esteem, teach empathy, and teach self-control.

Old 02-08-2021, 01:14 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,174,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
How about we co-opt a little bit of Singapore justice, and raise a few welts on the keester of a repeat offender with a cane? Low cost, and can be intensified with recidivism. If we can no longer jail people because of cost, there's got to be some way to inhibit their nefarious behavior, which if left uninhibited, will likely grow in frequency and intensity.
Yeah, violent crime rates in East Asia are less than a tenth that of the US.

Culture (including social shame) and intact two-parent families probably play bigger role than corporal punishment though. There's no social stigma left in the US. Our society is a Jerry Springer show.

Last edited by Guineas; 02-08-2021 at 01:25 PM..

Old 02-08-2021, 10:01 PM

2,829 posts, read 1,129,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Good morning, well we know that corporal punishment does not STOP crimes from happening, or otherwise Singapore, for example, would not need to keep a Caner on standby.

So, does corporal punishment curb crime? I do not have a stat in front of me, but an educated guess would hypothesize so.

So who would be the type of person who would commit crimes despite there being capital punishment, corporal punishment, incarcerations, tickets, etc.?: The people who do not view these as deterrents because

They don't care about their OWN lives, so take the life or property of another holds no impact
Going to jail is a better and safer place than out on the streets
Going to jail is a positive because it gets you the street cred that can benefit you when you get released

These are reasons I say we need to have counseling programs and alternative to gang programs to build self-esteem, teach empathy, and teach self-control.
Teaching children Confidence, empathy, are discipline are generally taught to young men by their father. You are born with an innate ability to listen and absorb what your father teaches you, to mimic your father. Without a father in your life growing up you are looking at a very very uphill battle in life that few can make it out of. There aren’t many active fathers in Chicago. 80% born out of wedlock, 70% with no relationship with their father. Most of these young men are being raised by their mothers and grandmothers. That is the core issue here and until that issue is fixed it doesn’t matter how many government programs there are. Give them money and they will be even more likely to end up dead or in jail than they are now.

Old 02-08-2021, 10:31 PM

cttransplant85. Good evening.

I agree with you. As I've posted many times, the communities need positive father figures in areas where fathers are absent.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:57 AM

2,711 posts, read 913,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
cttransplant85. Good evening.

I agree with you. As I've posted many times, the communities need positive father figures in areas where fathers are absent.
Count me as another endorsement of ct's post. But what is one to do about a pretty much "unsolvable" problem? CPS already spends $14K per child per year, and that doesn't count "capital" costs (that spent on buildings, repairs, etc., which is probably a BIG number). It also has a long history of pre-K, "Headstart" programs, and a myriad of other social spending. And it still has an 80% out-of-wedlock rate? Cue Ripley suggesting "Take off and nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure".

With respect to prisons, I'd love to hear Jay's take on ways to make the criminal justice program more effective. Obviously, there are people so damaged that prison is necessary to keep them from hurting other people, "rehabilitation" has to be secondary to keeping the truly violent (and that definitely includes carjackers of any age) out of circulation. Include in that category any crime of violence, including repeated firearm possession, rape, crimes involving children, etc.. The "revolving door" currently employed by Kim Foxx and liberal judges is absolutely insane, Covid or not.

Personally, I think we're nuts to keep doing what we've been doing, it sure doesn't seem to be making the problem better. Personally, I'd adopt a system more like Japan's, where prisoners are not allowed to commit violence against one another, are given privileges only for actual "Good Behavior", and prisons are not used as schools to make criminals better criminals. Why, for instance, are inmates allowed to "bulk up" in jail? I'd be in favor of providing estrogen to soften them up, nobody would want to come out of jail or prison "effeminized", LOL, what a great deterrent that would be. But seriously, maybe its time to reward people for NOT having kids they can't raise properly, IDK. Jay?

Last edited by Curly Q. Bobalink; 02-09-2021 at 02:08 AM..

Old 02-09-2021, 06:37 AM

Curly Q. Bobalink, et al.: Good morning.

There is no ONE answer. There are MANY answers. And we have very competent and qualified contributors to bring their ideas to the table.

We look at solutions from a PRE-ventive, as well as an INTER-ventive approach. For example, I teach Tae Kwon Do to people to give them resources to prevent going down the wrong path in life, because I do not want to have to work with them in my day job, in an interventive position, considering that the people are now IN jail/IN the system.

I invite anyone to come watch and participate in my classes if you are in the area. Martial arts is something at risk view as attractive to them because they see movies about it, and understand it to be "fighting" and "tough." And this is true. However, yesterday for example, I covered meditation, self-control, use of body language to demonstrate respect as well as confidence, the belief in yourself to always give your best, the ability to walk away from a fight and still have confidence, etc.

You see, we ALL need these skills to be successful in life. There are, unfortunately, some with a more daily uphill battle who REALLY need to have these skills.

From a psychological perspective, look at Maslow's Level of Hierarchy. We need basic life needs such as food and clean water. Then we need to feel safe. We need to have affiliations. Then we can have healthy esteem... I use martial arts to teach safety through hand and foot techniques. The class IS the affiliation. I need my students to like/respect me or they don't feel a draw to come back. I sometimes AM the father figure in their lives. Us Instructors fill a void in their lives and provide a sense of love. And this is all while we are showing them how to block effectively and make their punches and kicks as strong as possible.

Curly, I was intrigued by your statement of paying someone NOT to have children.... I agree wholeheartedly that it is insane to continue the same methods if they are NOT producing positive results. We had/have a system that provided a monetary increase with each child when the child was not present. (Let's NOT, for now, discuss the conspiracy theory about this). By contrast since we see communities where there are too many children that are NOT being taught the life skills I described above, could NOT having children be an incentive until we can try to get things balanced? I can see this working! But let me tell you what scares me about it... Remember before abortions were legal, you had those underground,dangerous self-abortions people would perform?

That said, another idea that accompany it is to make sure we are teaching and promoting healthy lifestyles and birth control.

So there is no ONE answer nor any definitive RIGHT answer. I do my part in the community. I invite everyone with talents to jump in and help the youth of today.

I apologize if I did not get to all your questions. I am "in jail" now and I need to get some work done. I look forward to others' comments on my response, as well as hear their own ideas.

It would be nice to have a meeting of the minds and have a roundtable discussion with coffee when the weather is better. And again, feel free to contact me anytime you want to observe my classes.

Old Today, 12:24 AM

5,723 posts, read 9,798,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
so i dont get this - the latest carjacking story was a person sitting in the car and a woman enters the car in either the drivers seat or passenger seat and carjacks the car with the person's baby/child in the car who was able to leave the car later.

how did this happen that a person just waltzes into a car, did they not have it locked? that was the strangest thing about this.
Apparently the other posters want to reward a Karen for leaving her car unlocked and running with her child in the car seat. Then the psychopathic prosecutor and legislators want the carjacker to be charged with child endangerment despite later noticing the child and dropping them off a short distance away, NOT the mother.

Be careful what you wish for! Here in Texas the elected GOP state officials and most prosecutors are the psychopaths and desperately throwing trumped-up charges until one sticks.

Miscarriage of justice and covering up of judicial/prosecutorial mistakes is very common. Good luck getting a Texas major-market TV media outlet to investigate judicial/prosecutorial misconduct as they are in cahoots being the PR outlet creating the narrative to lure eyeballs to their 10 PM news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: