U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 08:39 AM

9,893 posts, read 14,857,786 times

Advertisements

For everyone wondering why carjacking is exploding in the city...

Quote:
Man gets probation for carjacking delivery driver in 2019
https://cwbchicago.com/2021/02/man-g...wQfHoXKbNMEClQ

Don't you feel so much safer with leftists running the judicial system.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 09:10 AM

2,482 posts, read 949,207 times
MSchemist80, Good morning.

I believe in helping those in need, or hence I would not have gotten into social work, and teaching.

That said, as someone who has worked in the jail/court system since 2009, I am BAFFLED when I get an inmate who is on probation for a CLOSED case, and currently has an OPEN PENDING case, and then is brought to the jail on NEW charges!

But life is like parenting: You need a fair balance of giving positive reinforcement for when someone does something well; but when an error is committed, you need to be strict with the child and you need to offer a fair and attainable punishment AND you need to stick to your punishment as you handed it down!

Otherwise, you will have out of control children....

Old 02-01-2021, 10:27 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,546,590 times
Quote:
It was the 13th time he had been arrested in Chicago in 14 months, according to CPD records.
WTF? What is up with these judges letting these "people" back in the streets?

Old 02-01-2021, 10:33 AM

517 posts, read 144,502 times
How much jail space and budget do they have?

Old 02-01-2021, 10:34 AM

Marv95, well, see my comment above.

In the meantime, people need to balance on giving their car up OR fighting/attempting to fight back. These types of crimes are NOT limited to certain areas, so always be prepared.

Old 02-01-2021, 10:37 AM

ManApplet, good point.

When things are so out of control, I would be willing to let certain crimes go with a ticket AND/OR short (2 weeks or less) jail term: Possession of drugs (without evidence of drug delivery/sales), prostitution, etc.

You have to be flexible and make certain changes when things are THIS chaotic!

Old 02-01-2021, 10:58 AM

9,893 posts, read 14,857,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
How much jail space and budget do they have?
Not nearly enough I'd say.

Old 02-01-2021, 11:07 AM

20,945 posts, read 6,001,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
ManApplet, good point.

When things are so out of control, I would be willing to let certain crimes go with a ticket AND/OR short (2 weeks or less) jail term: Possession of drugs (without evidence of drug delivery/sales), prostitution, etc.

You have to be flexible and make certain changes when things are THIS chaotic!
Did you know that majority of 'street level' drug dealers are just addicts themselves, who have exhausted all other means of making money (burned bridges), and resorted to dealing, in order to feed their addiction?

These street level dealers are not the ones getting rich from drug sales, they are as bad off as the addicts most of the time...From what I saw of this world first hand, its not until you get into the mid level dealers, where its people not using drugs and making the money.

Street level dealers are expendable for the most part, if they happen to get busted or die of OD, there are 3-4 people standing in line to take their place at all times! I laugh when I see police bragging about making drug busts...they have NO CLUE, that they are not even inconveniencing the mid to top level guys! LOL They anticipate and plan for street level dealers getting busted or dying from OD!

Imo, drug laws need to be totally abolished, and then regulated...they are NEVER going to put a dent into this industry, in fact, the laws being in place is just making the top cartel guys more and more wealthy.

Old 02-01-2021, 11:25 AM

rstevens62, good morning.

Yes, the "street level" dealer is essentially a "functioning" addict, in the sense that there are people considered "non-criminals" that DO use substances and still can hold a job.

I don't know about police officers bragging. I'm sure they feel good that they accomplished something. You HAVE to give them that! They have an immensely stressful job, and are very underappreciated.

That said, you are correct that despite this, there is no shortage of someone else taking place of the busted drug dealers.

As far as I'm concerned, drugs and prostitution should be legalized and regulated.

Old 02-01-2021, 03:32 PM

5,332 posts, read 3,932,445 times
I am at a loss of words. I read a news article recently that said something about a 14yr old being involved in almost a dozen different carjackings. This is a parental failure problem and also a problem with our legal and justice system in Cook County. Get caught carjacking in DuPage County and you'll be behind bars for years. Get caught for the same crime in Cook County and you'll be out on probation for "trespassing".

Yet another reason why I'm moving away from here as soon as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: