U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 10:17 PM

2,508 posts, read 961,667 times

Advertisements

Robert9 that sounds like a nasty fall. You heal up.

When you recuperate we can grab a coffee in Lincoln Square!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 10:27 PM

1,705 posts, read 467,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Robert9 that sounds like a nasty fall. You heal up.

When you recuperate we can grab a coffee in Lincoln Square!
Thanks. I am doing my best to heal. The reaction I am getting from people who see my face right now is at first funny as they look a bit freaked. Then I am like "Oh damn I hope I look normal again someday" lol

Yes we need to finally meet for coffee. Should have happened long ago, but so much insanity going on this past year has gotton in the way of me getting to the city like I used

Old 02-05-2021, 10:32 PM

191 posts, read 43,051 times
My list
Ravens wood/Lincoln square lots of things to do
Norwood park nice houses
Portage park/Irving park nice parks and restaurants
Bucktown/Logan square lived there and nice houses
Lincoln park/old town next to lake and downtown
West lawn/clearing clean neighborhood and safe
Beverly has very historical houses
Hyde park/kenwood next to lake and fun

Old 02-06-2021, 05:28 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,913,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
noid_1985. Absolutely great restaurant row. That neighborhood is frozen in time, no pun intended! I love, love, love Ignotz's. I've been to Bruna's 2 times. The last time was with our photographer city-data.com colleague, jfre81.

I really hope that street can do Father's Day Festa Pasta Vino this year!!! I've been attending for several years.

Also, walking distance from there is St. Paul's Catholic Church. I once attended a trilingual mass( English, Spanish, and Latin all mixed in 1). It was very neat!

That church is seen in The Untouchables movie!!
I remember going to St. Paul's once, for a past Open House Chicago. I was very glad I got to visit that church, and thought it was one of the more interesting churches I had seen during OHC. Didn't realize it was briefly seen, in The Untouchables. Also I'd say St. Benedict the African in Englewood, was one of my favorite churches I had seen as well. Which mainly I felt encouraged to visit, since I also visited nearby Yale Apartments that year. Sadly, that building wasn't again an OHC site, after only a year or 2 of being in OHC.

I do like the improvements done in Uptown over the years, and that it doesn't feel as bummy as it used to be of a neighborhood. It still does feel a little sketch in some parts of that area(i.e. Sheridan between Wilson and Lawrence), but some parts of it are very nice like on Buena between Broadway to Marine Drive.

Chicagoisthebest did mention a bunch of good neighborhoods in his post, I'll say. And as much as I want to like Lincoln Park and Old Town, the yuppieness of that area always did turn me off a little bit about those 2 neighborhoods. The architecture and feel of those 2 areas is nice, though. I do GREATLY like the old architecture of houses that are just north and west of North and Wells, though. And Old Town Ale House is a pretty great bar, as well. The artwork the owner creates and puts inside his bar at times, is interesting as well. For Lincoln Park(it's in the western part of it), I always liked Delilah's a lot. And the toy and art store across the street called Rotofugi(sp?, I never remember how to spell it), is cool as well. I really hope both bars make it through COVID, and don't close for good! It sucks we have already lost some good bars b/c of COVID, such as Guthrie's and Huettenbar.

Old 02-06-2021, 08:52 AM

Chicagoisthebest, good morning.

We definitely agree on Lincoln Square. The area by the plaza is truly unique. The closest comparison would be the little plaza on Taylor Street in Little Italy; which would probably be my # 5 spot on my list.

Norwood Park- yes. Love those houses. And it's down the street from my vote for Edison Park.

Have a great day.

Old 02-06-2021, 08:57 AM

SonySegaTendo617, good morning. St. Paul's is a beautiful church. The day we went to mass, a man came up to us while in the pews and gave me a $20.00 bill, because he was impressed at how well the children were behaved! That is truly a great memory for me.

The scene where Malone and company come to Elliott Ness' house is where you can see the 2 church towers. If you go there you can see the house that was used as the Ness family home.

You mentioned the Huettenbar closing. It made me so sad. It was a trace of the Germanic tradition I really wanted Lincoln Square to hold onto.

Old 02-06-2021, 03:10 PM

403 posts, read 519,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I always liked Delilah's a lot.
I miss Delilah's a lot. Thursday or Sunday nights I would hang out on the 2nd floor often.

Old 02-06-2021, 03:29 PM

403 posts, read 519,689 times
Master Jay, what should I check out in that specific patch of Armour Square? The only thing I've done there is frequent the Chinese businesses on Wentworth between 28th and 29th.

Old 02-06-2021, 03:39 PM

japster28, good day. I hope all is well. Thank you for asking.

The area near 28th and Princeton is one of those areas that might be more of a personal love. It might not be for everyone else. But maaaaaaybe it would.

For a person who wants to go a bit south of Chinatown, there's a strip on Princeton that runs between 26th and I believe it's 33rd Street. It is a traditional Sicilian and Croatian neighborhood. You'll find great Italian restaurants on 26th Street or 31st Street. I believe Francos is on 31st.

The annual Croatian Fest at St. Jerome Church is August 15. THIS Milwaukee man and his kids have carried flags in their parade the last 3 years. Can you believe that???

Also, on 33rd Street is Armour Square Park. Some nice, kinda divey bars there as well.

Something for everybody on that strip!

Old 02-07-2021, 10:59 AM

4,028 posts, read 6,600,979 times
Not in any order

Wicker Park
Bucktown
DePaul area-Armitage Sheffield
Southport Corridor
Lincoln Square
Lakeview
Little Italy
Logan Square
North Center
Forest Glen/Sauganash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago