U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 11:10 AM

2,508 posts, read 964,067 times

Advertisements

ToriaT, good morning. Good to see you here.

Lincoln Square seems to be the most voted for my Top 4.

Like you, Little Italy would be on my top list, if I expanded to a top 10.

Sauganah/Forest Glen would be my choice if I hit the jackpot! Great looking houses and neighborhoods. And right there for a quicker drive to Milwaukee if I'd ever have to come back to see someone back home!

Stay warm, my friend.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 11:33 AM

13 posts, read 3,728 times
Great topic.

Mine are:

Old Town
Carnaryville
Pilsen
South Shore

Old 02-07-2021, 11:40 AM

chitown50s. Good morning to you. Thanks for sharing.

Your top 4 is nice and diverse!

Your Pilsen vote: Very close to my 24th and Oakley location!.... Honestly, I do like Pilsen. Not just because I'm Latino .... you know they filmed scenes from 1983's Bad Boys, there.?

South Shore I do not know. My agenda is to go south until I hit the border (Chicago, that is!).

I've been to Canaryville once. It is rare for me to go south of, say, Bridgeport.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:21 PM

3,904 posts, read 6,271,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
SORRY. I MEANT THIS FOR THE CHICAGO FORUM: Hello, city-data.commers. It is going to be extremely cold. So be safe out there. I might wait for this chill to go away before I come down.

But I've been thinking of my favorite Chicago neighborhoods that I've mentioned in past posts. And I'd very much like to hear about YOUR experiences and thoughts about them. It would give me something good to think about until the weather gets higher than the current freezing situation!!!

1. Edison Park

2. Lincoln Square

3. Armour Square

4. Heart of Chicago

I have so many great memories of these main 4 areas. Please share yours, good, bad, or indifferent!

Thanks. Stay safe. Stay happy. Stay healthy.
Of those four, my favorite would be Lincoln Square. I don't really have much experience with Edison Park except for driving through it -- all I know is it borders the suburb of Park Ridge and has an inner-suburban character. My impression is that it's relatively dull, although I hear there are some good restaurants there. It does rank as one of the city's safest neighborhoods crimewise.

Armour Square contains Chinatown, which of course is pretty amazing. One of the last truly authentic Chinatowns in the US in the sense that most residents are still Chinese. Heart of Chicago, IIRC, contains that two-block long stretch of Oakley Avenue that is considered Heart of Italy. I don't really know much of anything about the rest of it, except that it's mostly Hispanic.

Last edited by andrew61; 02-08-2021 at 12:30 PM..

Old 02-08-2021, 12:33 PM

3,904 posts, read 6,271,196 times
My favorite Chicago neighborhoods:

Lakeview (especially the eastern portion where I lived for 20 years)
Uptown (great ethnic food)
Edgewater/Andersonville
Lincoln Park
Gold Coast

Old 02-08-2021, 01:27 PM

andrew61, good to see you on here!

You're keeping Lincoln Square the highest on my top 4. But, good call!

Definitely Chinatown of the Armour Square neighborhood is awesome! Moon Palace is our favorite restaurant. Ping Tom Park is great! The neighborhood just south of that is the one I was referencing. Close to home for me because I'm Croatian.

The 2 block restaurant area is frozen in time, NO pun intended. Some Italians still live there. As you say, surrounded by Mexican shops. But I enjoy them. I'm also of Mexican descent.

Edison Park. Check it out. A great amount of restaurants, especially Italian. And a great Italian deli, Tony's. You won't be disappointed.

Thank you for sharing your personal votes. I do dig The Green Mill of Uptown. And of course the Zoo of Lincoln Park.

Stay warm!!

Old 02-09-2021, 11:01 AM

62 posts, read 14,438 times
Uptown
Edgewater
Rogers Park
Park Manor (GGC)
Albany Park

Old 02-09-2021, 11:24 AM

Manson Lamps, how is your day?

You are bringing Uptown high up there on the nominations with some of your colleagues!

You know what? Your nomination of Rogers Park reminds me of one that would go into my list if I expanded it beyond a Fab Four: And that would be WEST Rogers Park (aka West Ridge)!

I have so many memories of Indian Boundary Park. There is a huge beautiful house right across the street from the park, that has been for sale, that my children and I "joke" that we'd love to own one day!

Love your nomination of Albany Park! I have always enjoyed the fusion of diversity of cultures there, especially Mexican and Korean. And I am a Mexican-American that loves Korean food and culture!.. Once again you have my mind going, Manson Lamps, and so once again I am going to deviate a bit from your nomination, so that I can mention another neighborhood that would fit my Top 10: Mayfair Neighborhood. Very clean. Very safe. Very family oriented.

Park Manor (GGC)? I do not know the far south. Is GGC for Greater Grand Crossing? If so, the only thing I know out of that area is near 72nd and Prairie: Al Capone's south side home. I've driven past a couple of times and taken pictures.

Thanks, Manson Lamps, for sharing!

Old 02-09-2021, 12:54 PM

62 posts, read 14,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Manson Lamps, how is your day?

You are bringing Uptown high up there on the nominations with some of your colleagues!

You know what? Your nomination of Rogers Park reminds me of one that would go into my list if I expanded it beyond a Fab Four: And that would be WEST Rogers Park (aka West Ridge)!

I have so many memories of Indian Boundary Park. There is a huge beautiful house right across the street from the park, that has been for sale, that my children and I "joke" that we'd love to own one day!

Love your nomination of Albany Park! I have always enjoyed the fusion of diversity of cultures there, especially Mexican and Korean. And I am a Mexican-American that loves Korean food and culture!.. Once again you have my mind going, Manson Lamps, and so once again I am going to deviate a bit from your nomination, so that I can mention another neighborhood that would fit my Top 10: Mayfair Neighborhood. Very clean. Very safe. Very family oriented.

Park Manor (GGC)? I do not know the far south. Is GGC for Greater Grand Crossing? If so, the only thing I know out of that area is near 72nd and Prairie: Al Capone's south side home. I've driven past a couple of times and taken pictures.

Thanks, Manson Lamps, for sharing!
what's good master jay?

yea I'm a big fan of the far north side...diverse (ethnically and socioeconomically), well served by the red line, and somewhat unique in the density of the built environment. though somehow i've never seen much of west ridge/west rp aside from riding down devon.

and yea park manor is a part of greater grand crossing. on paper i'm sure it's still considered high-crime but it has a lot of quiet, black middle-class normalcy. i'm sure i've said it before but 75th is also one of the great (and underrated) strips for restaurants as well as having one of two black-owned record stores left in the city (Fletcher's 1-stop) which i'd take over Reckless or even Dusty Groove any day of the week.

frankly it was pretty tough to limit it to only five...

Old 02-09-2021, 01:10 PM

Manson Lamps, all is well, my friend.

Who I am to complain, right?

I love the far north side, also, because if it is my destination, it is the CLOSEST to Milwaukee.

The fact that it is so difficult to you, me, and others, to limit to only 4 or 5 awesome neighborhoods is the proof that Chicago is such a great city, as far as I'm concerned!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago