U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 07:03 PM

466 posts, read 293,724 times

Advertisements

Morse/Loyola area then. If they ever want to use the L, you have to pick a Rogers Park location.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 07:03 AM

1,673 posts, read 1,099,013 times
In Hollywood Park, taking the Kimball bus to the Lawrence/Kimball Brown Line for downtown access, isn't the end of the world, but is the end of the line!

As someone that's hit 60 and is healthy, I know I'm looking at things differently now. A few years ago the R.P and Morse areas would be suitable for me, but now I'm thinking, who knows what the future holds, especially health wise. Though I know many older folks are living in these areas, would I want to deal with living in a higher density, somewhat sketchy locations going into the next stage of my life? Tough call, only those that would be moving there can answer that.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:33 AM

4,649 posts, read 1,666,252 times
The areas in interest are so clean, walkable and full of amenities.

I think these 60 year olds who are planning the move are so done with the suburban sprawl boring lifestyle. They still grab cocktails on Wednesdays and Fridays, go to happy hour and love to shop in the districts.

They've done the suburbia since 1996 and they can't take it anymore. Chicago being one of, if not the best, city in the country for urbanity is always top of the list

Old 02-20-2021, 10:46 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,928,176 times
Morse has a bit of a commercial district, is right by Loyola beach, has easy access to downtown and Evanston, and has one of the better coffee shops in the city.

It does seem to be in the news here and there for shootings and there are definitely some derelicts outside Fresh Market... but I'd pick it.

If you live in Chicago, live by the water.

Old 02-22-2021, 07:15 AM

Anyone recommend the Little India area/West Ridge?

Old 02-22-2021, 08:06 AM

2,588 posts, read 999,209 times
West Ridge? Very diverse (Jewish, Muslim, etc....). And to the west is Lincolnwood, a favorite suburb of mine, and a nice mall!

I like the housing stock in West Ridge, especially near a favorite park, Indian Boundary Park.

Personally, I would go West Ridge or the North Park choice, if I had the option.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:32 AM

1,673 posts, read 1,099,013 times
West Ridge over L.I.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:38 AM

BOBNCHI, good morning,

Just so the OP is on board, would you agree that it is fair to say that Little India is PART of the West Ridge (sometimes called West Rogers Park) community area.

The area I was thinking of by Indian Boundary Park would be, mmmm, about 1 mile north of Little India. It seems there is less a presence of the Indian/Pakistani population and shops (compared to directly on Devon Avenue).

BOBNCHI, is there another area of West Ridge that you like, that should be accentuated?

Old 02-22-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
West Ridge? Very diverse (Jewish, Muslim, etc....). And to the west is Lincolnwood, a favorite suburb of mine, and a nice mall!

I like the housing stock in West Ridge, especially near a favorite park, Indian Boundary Park.

Personally, I would go West Ridge or the North Park choice, if I had the option.
Is it hard to get to the L from Little India area of West Ridge? It looks about a mile away... Not too bad. Is it walkable enough to restaurants and shops?

It looks clean, diverse, pretty, walkable... But it's cheap. Why Is it so cheap. ... Is it a too good to be true area? So nice

Old 02-22-2021, 09:20 AM

masssachoisetts, good morning,

Well, the further east and/or south in the West Ridge community area, the "closer" you'd be to an L station. The Red Line is to the east (in the Rogers Park area), and the Brown line is to the south (in the Lincoln Square area: which incidentally is one of my absolute favorite areas!). That said, you are still looking 2 to 3 miles distance, if you are at the edge of the West Ridge borders. (Do I have my figures correct, residents?).

Western Avenue and Devon Avenue (which is the heart of Little India) will have all kinds of restaurants and shops.

Definite diversity, clean, and safety.... As far as price of homes, I apologize, THAT is an area that I do not have enough knowledge. We will need to defer to our Chicago city-data.com colleagues, for that one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago