U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 11:39 AM

2,802 posts, read 1,100,376 times

Advertisements

masssachoicetts, well HOLA!

This weekend the weather should be in the 40s, just like today. So it feels like a HEAT WAVE!!!!!

A good time to come and visit. That is the BEST way to get to know the area.

P.S. There is a chain of restaurants called "Peri Peri". They have awesome food, and are known for having a Portuguese-African flair. Definitely look into that and give it a try if you can.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 07:22 PM

29 posts, read 12,003 times
Morse / Loyola and Rogers Park absolutely has a history of crime. Some blocks are sketchier than others and overall it's pretty safe...but...

Morse used to be nicknamed "Murder Morse" - I am not trying to be dramatic, it has vastly improved in recent years (it was worst over 10-15yrs ago) but crime should not be ignored.

The Gangster Disciples are a gang that were alive and well when I lived in RP 2013-2016. We had multiple shootings over ridiculous turf wars on my block, I was on Farwell and Ashland (off Morse red line). My friend was actually shot by a stray bullet on Morse in broad daylight right off the train stop. Crime almost never has anything to do with regular people minding their business and the incident with my friend was a very rare, freak occurrence. Being right on the campus will be safer - there are cops around a lot, and Loyola takes security very seriously.

Are there worse neighborhoods in Chicago? Absoooolutely. By a mile. I actually loved my time in Rogers Park overall, it was very diverse, there was a farmer's market right by Morse, a nice grocery store, great food options, wonderful lake access, excellent transportation, many great things about it.

If the couple is not very street smart, wants to take long walks at night, etc...I'd highly recommend Edgewater or even Andersonville. They are safer, with basically all of the perks of Rogers Park, but are slightly more expensive (Andersonville pricier between the two). You just have to be careful, like in many places in Chicago, if you pick Rogers Park. But having lived in Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Uptown, Edgewater, Hyde Park, Albany Park, Old Town...I was on highest alert in Rogers Park out of all of them.

Old 03-02-2021, 05:18 AM

annagene12, good morning.

I took a trip down this Sunday via Highways 31 and 32. I took Ridge through Rogers Park. If I'm not mistaken, it ends once you hit Peterson, because of the cemetery there. Everything I saw on both sides of me, along Ridge seemed fine.

Would you agree that that far western end of the Rogers Park area is quite acceptable?

Thank you.

Old 03-02-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
annagene12, good morning.

I took a trip down this Sunday via Highways 31 and 32. I took Ridge through Rogers Park. If I'm not mistaken, it ends once you hit Peterson, because of the cemetery there. Everything I saw on both sides of me, along Ridge seemed fine.

Would you agree that that far western end of the Rogers Park area is quite acceptable?

Thank you.
Yes - you made a good observation.

A lot of the dicey-ness was closer to the lake in East Rogers Park in my experience. It really is in patches - especially around liquor stores, 24/7 corner stores (that sell liquor) and poorly lit side streets that unbeknownst to you, are borders on rival gang turf (like my experience on Ashland/Farwell). I always felt safe walking around the Loyola campus on Sheridan b/w Pratt & Devon, because it is well lit / well trafficked. I felt less safe on Morse at night. When I lived off the Morse Red line, I would choose busses because they went up Sheridan instead.

Clark St (just east of Ridge) used to have issues as well, the McDonalds near Pratt was a weird hotspot when I lived there. No clue why...but there is great Mexican food on Clark! It is really generally safe, but I wouldn't walk around aimlessly at night.

West of Ridge is technically a different neighborhood (West Ridge on Google Maps but it is also called West Rogers Park.) It is quieter, more single family homes, cute bungalows and ranch homes, but farther from public transportation and I would say overall less walkable. It is considered quite safe and I never heard about issues with crime in West Ridge like I did in East Rogers Park. I have never lived there so can't weigh in as much on it overall, but regularly went there for grocery shopping and loved going to Devon for Indian food!

Old 03-02-2021, 12:02 PM

annagene12, I have walked around Rogers Park. I've ridden my bicycle through there. I've driven through. I like Rogers Park area. It's just not my typical hang out area.

I wish I could remember the nice cafe went to a couple years ago. It was on the north side of the street, and near the Red Line. (But that could be a LOT of cafes ). I would know it if I saw it, though.

Rogers Park reminds me of the area in Milwaukee known as River West. It, too, is the north side of Milwaukee, and towards the lake, and has a couple of universities nearby (UWM and Marquette). And it has big homes. And also some sketchy types walking around, as well as hippie types.

And with all this, I am more of a West Ridge community area fan. Although, please do not attack me, I am NOT an Indian food fan.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
annagene12, I have walked around Rogers Park. I've ridden my bicycle through there. I've driven through. I like Rogers Park area. It's just not my typical hang out area.

I wish I could remember the nice cafe went to a couple years ago. It was on the north side of the street, and near the Red Line. (But that could be a LOT of cafes ). I would know it if I saw it, though.

Rogers Park reminds me of the area in Milwaukee known as River West. It, too, is the north side of Milwaukee, and towards the lake, and has a couple of universities nearby (UWM and Marquette). And it has big homes. And also some sketchy types walking around, as well as hippie types.

And with all this, I am more of a West Ridge community area fan. Although, please do not attack me, I am NOT an Indian food fan.
There was a really cute cafe that served Ethiopian coffee on Sheridan called Royal Coffee...but I think it closed

It does sounds similar to River West! And I know Indian Food is polarizing. No sweat! There is a lot of yummy food from all corners of the world in Rogers Park. It was one of my favorite things about it. Smack Dab is also legendary - best breakfast sandwiches I have ever had.

I definitely didn't mean to slam Rogers Park at all, it really has it's charms. Just gotta keep your wits about ya! I enjoy visiting whenever I can!

Old 03-03-2021, 06:14 AM

5,523 posts, read 1,979,616 times
Update: Narrowed down to these zip codes:

60659 <--- The part closest to Lincoln Square

Ideally want to stay by Morse, since I heard that's the best part of Rogers Park. Safest too.

Didnt visit last weekend because I need a babysitter since the people Im going with are usually my babysitters. Going for the weekend of March 13-15, green river weekend!

They put in offers in two homes, they had the highest bid, all cash on one condo and the selling agent did something really sleazy. Lost both. ?? Its getting stressful...

Pretty soon I need a thread with specific reccomendations

Old 03-03-2021, 07:13 AM

OP, good to hear. Sounds like you're almost there.

Weather SHOULD be better in a couple of weeks, anyways. Better than last time, when you were going to possibly visit!

You got SOLID advice from our colleagues on this thread.

Walking round and getting the feel of those 3 zip code areas will be essential.

I do NOT think there will be a big parade this St. Patrick's Day!

Kind of eerie: THAT is the weekend when the city shut down in 2020.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:06 AM

1,765 posts, read 1,176,456 times
No parade.

https://chicago.eater.com/2021/2/3/2...rs-restaurants

Old 03-03-2021, 08:11 AM

BOBNCHI, good morning.

NOW I want you to provide the GOOD NEWS we need to hear, Mister!!!!

I don't know if you saw, but on another thread, this morning I wrote that one of the restaurant owners near 24th and Oakley told me a couple of weeks ago that he believes there will NOT be their street fest, Festa Pasta Vino, this JUNE!!!!

Well, I remember when for a while, last year, people could not "walk or stroll the lakefront."

So technically, it may not be AS bad in 2021 as last year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago